Shotgun Cleaning Advice

Jrollsons

Back to the question asked, which I take meant what do I clean guns with rather than do I need to clean my gun.

Maintenance is all a part of the enjoyment of owning nice guns and keeping them well maintained and hopefully their value up.

I was also taught during my Engineering apprenticeship to be proud of my tools. Look after them and they will serve you well.

I clean after every outing, be it 1 or 500 cartridges fired. It's all a part of my morning or day out.

There are plenty of gun cleaning products out there but I now use, Napier Spray, Browning Legia spray, WD-40, GP 3 in 1 oil and ALVANA grease.

1. Strip down to the main component parts. O/U about 5 seconds, Semi-auto about 30 seconds.

2. Rod through the barrel(s) with bronze brush and Napier spray. OU & SA

3. Rod through the barrel(s) with cloth patch and Napier spray. OU & SA

4. Rod through the barrel with wool mop and 3 in 1 oil. OU & SA

5. Clean/soak all powder residue off SA parts using Napier spray. Pipe clean gas ports.

6. Brush around ejectors. OU

7. Light oil ejectors and barrel surface. OU

8. Smear grease on load pivot pin surfaces. OU

9. Brush out action frame to remove any powder residue. OU Light grease inner surfaces. SA oil bolt slots.

Re-assemble and wipe over with a gun cleaning cloth.

OU's take about 45 minutes and SA's about 45 (inertia) to 90 (gas) minutes.

I store my guns muzzle down.

Edited by B25Modelman

1. Strip down to the main component parts. O/U about 5 seconds, Semi-auto about 30 seconds.

2. Rod through the barrel(s) with bronze brush and Napier spray. OU & SA

3. Rod through the barrel(s) with cloth patch and Napier spray. OU & SA

Good process - I would add between 1 and 2 above to push a piece of kitchen paper/2 sheets loo paper (for a 12 bore) to remove loose soot/residue/dirt. Tight enough to clean, but not so tight that its hard to push through. Simply because it allows the bronze brush to stay cleaner longer. Edited by JohnfromUK

After each outing I use a rod cleaning kit and 3 in one oil as both a cleaner and to lubricate as it does both, squirt some down each barrel after removing from action then rod with tornado brush, then quick brush through followed by pieces of kitchen towel ripped off for patches and push patches through until comes out clean, cotton sticks to get into ejectors, quick wipe over with oil on outside of metal and action and a dry cloth over woodwork then away in cabinet. Any light oil will do you.

Everyone does it how they prefer but for me I like things to look as good as possible and mine still look the same as when I bought them so whether I shoot one cart or one hundred they get the same treatment, I just do it over a bin liner to protect the floor while watching tv so it's no hardship.

I'm afraid I'm one of those who strip there gun down every time it's been shot I start by spraying bore cleaner down barrels then bronze brush them then patch them till clean then scrub action with a tooth brush dipped in oil then apply lithium grease to pivot points them assemble the gun then wipe down with a slightly oiled rag then put back in safe I use the oily rag to carry the gun to the safe to stop fingerprints sad I know but I find it relaxing

As above,Every time is the way to keep your gun up to scratch.

Bore snakes are a lazy mans tool,it will not remover primer acids or lead fouling.

Proper clean is the Only way..

I would say it depends entirly on if you have the old steel barrels or the more modern Chrome ones, Crome is very forgiving and very hard to damage whilst Browning steel on older guns will rust at the first chance so need a layer of oil after cleaning

Some clean there car after every trip, check tyre pressures and oil and water etc others just drive it and check the rest at the next service. Modern machinery will take a lot of use without any problems unless abused, so whats good for one person is not always good for every one

Funny how a Name plate from a 2 world war spitfire and a old joystick turns a new built aircraft a very expensive WW2 aircraft but a resleeved shotgun lowers its price

If I absolutely don't have time, and it's dry, straight in cabinet, but if wet, full strip and clean.

Full strip and clean every time if possible, as I don't have the money to replace a knackered gun, or the time to have a gunsmith fix stuff I could have prevented with a 15 minute scrub.

Common sense - plastic stocked semi gets a wipe down, but as it doesn't have chrome barrel, always at least a boresnake and quick squirt of napier.

Walnut stocked beretta gets better care, but if I don't clean the barrels between shoots I won't worry cos they're chromed and almost impervious to corrosion.

I gave this a go at the weekend.

Bronze brush with bore cleaner down both the barrels and then we tissue paper.

Gun oil on ejectors and any bit of metal that connects or moves. Brushed away any noticeable marks. Removed chokes, oiled then replaced. Sprayed some oil on a cloth and rubbed the outside of the barrels.

I also didnt realise how much black stuff will fly out of the end of the barrel, I now have a lovely pattern on my kitchen wall. Tip for beginners, point barrels at the floor or a towel before using the bronze brush. Girlfriend was not happy.

Gun oil on ejectors and any bit of metal that connects or moves. Brushed away any noticeable marks. Removed chokes, oiled then replaced. Sprayed some oil on a cloth and rubbed the outside of the barrels.

I also didnt realise how much black stuff will fly out of the end of the barrel, I now have a lovely pattern on my kitchen wall. Tip for beginners, point barrels at the floor or a towel before using the bronze brush. Girlfriend was not happy.

Edited by kshooter

I point anything that's going to eject such a mess into a waste paper bin. Just learned a little trick, save your toilet roll cardboard tubes and slot it over the end of the barrel or item and sellotape it in place.

Edited by B25Modelman