Where are all the pigeons?

taxidermy dave

Hi chris,

The wheat field may give you some good shooting when it has been laid (when the spring/summer storms have blown it over) also you may get shooting when it has just been harvested in august/october/september.

Chick weed is fairly good in the summer months, but it wont be much good if there is plenty of food else where.

If the grass fields have got clover on them then you may get some good shooting, anytime of the year.

The best thing to do is just go down and check out the fields on a regular basis, that way you WILL know whether os not the pigeons are feeding.

Hope this helps,

tody

:huh: Welcome to the forum KF and let me be the first to assure you that you are not alone with your problem with shooting over rape.

This winter has been my worst i can remember and apart from one day back in November when i shot 24 i don't recall getting into double figures since.

There are plenty of pigeons about and they build up on a field in their hundreds but as soon as they are disturbed , off they go to the next feeding ground.

We have tried following them around but the same thing happens every time as they know that many fields of rape to visit.

Hopefully things can only get better now as they start to pair up and leave the big flocks. :huh:

I can echo Ernyha on his comments, I drove past some land I have permission on

yesterday lunchtime, there must have been 500 birds on rape. I didn't have my gear with me so clapped them off to see where they went.......over the horizon !

I went back this morning and set up, managed to get a few shots and a few birds, and then they dissapeared. The farmers working in his workshops which overlook those particular fields so he's going to let me know if they re-appear.

I wondered if they were just using this patch of rape as a stop off between the roosting wood and the fields that they are really feeding on ?

Dont forget that pigeon are totally wild. If disturbed they can and will go where they like. Next field or next county, it matters little to them. I dont know who said it, but he was right. For every goog pigeon shooting trip, youl probably have 10 bad ones!! My experiece so far supports this theory.

webber

hi guys i,ve never really understood the types of fields(foods planted etc) and the phrases used.like i know what rape & wheat fields look like but how do i know about the spring drillings.everywhere i shoot seems 2 b either rape which has'nt grown very well or grass.there are 100's of woodies about but same as the rest of u guys they don't stay long or dont return.can any1 explian the spring drillings part 4 me please thanks

turk101(mem) :unsure:

Guest Mr Pieman

Turk 101,

spring drillings is a term used for the planting of crops in the Spring, by farmers using a seed drill - the thing they pull behind a tractor.

It might be rape, beans, peas or various other things but, as some of the seed is often left above ground, and the pigeon flocks are beginning to break up, and the grey devils are fed up with berries and rape, they love this time of year. The time of the 'Spring drilling' is often looked upon as harvest time for the pigeon shooter.

PP