Working with aluminium billet

impala59

Any pointers please! I want to make a combined feed ramp and mag well/locator from aluminium block. Obviously, machining would be ideal but I do not have a milling machine. I have seen on y/tube the use of routers on aluminium and I also have the usual hand tools, files hacksaws etc. I have never worked/carved solid aluminium before, only sheet/box section, can it be cut with angle grinder discs? It seems quite soft and I wondered about cutting speeds etc. All info gratefully received!

as rodp says jigsaw.........providing the stuff aint sheet............check the type of blades......i have used a circular saw...purpose made saw for aliminium....its cuts with plenty of lubricant and turns at a painfully slow speed..........

Thanks gents, I thought that clogging might be an issue, I will check the blade on my chop saw, I think I've still got the sleeve it came in

The trick with a fast running chop saw is light pressure, just enough to cut but not enough to build up enough heat up the ally.

Thanks again gentlemen, I must admit i am a little wary of tools like circular saws and router blades where there are quite large gaps between the cutting surfaces, i just imagine these hitting my solid aluminium block. I may re-think this project or get a pro to machine from my drawings and a wooden mock-up. One bright spark pal of mine suggested casting it by making it in poly-foam, which disappears when the molten alloy is poured into the sand that the foam is buried in, that's possibly even more scary than chopping up a block with power tools!