Rabbit Livers Mottled

Savhmr

Shot a number of rabbits yesterday and all had liver disease, so were disposed of as I never eat anything showing disease.

In this case, one liver had Smartie-sized round white growths, about half a dozen or more which I assume is liver fluke.

Some had more of a mottled white appearance with a multitude of smaller white blobs all over the liver. Could this be Listeriosis or Coccidiosis?

Never seen either in wild rabbits in this area before, and there's been a rise in numbers this past year so maybe a disease that is spreading fast across the expanding bunny population locally.

Anyone know if in either case, the disease is transferable to horses sharing the same ground?

A very large percentage of my rabbits have this from various locations, been told loads of theories as to what causes it. Seems ok to eat rabbit but not the liver. I think it shows up more where sheep have grazed, and all age rabbits seem to have it with young rabbit being less affected.

Myself and friends and family eat them and we seem ok.

• 1 month later...