Get off my Land...

steveyg

Due to change of jobs,I Have some time on my hands for the next three weeks,got some cards printed so off I went in search of a new perm.

Managed to speak to a farmer who was very polite and said no thanks we have regular shooters already however took my card just in case.... struggled to speak to anyone else until

I noticed a rape field which was getting some attention so thought I would inquire,spotted the farmer talking to one of his staff, I had taken literally three steps on the drive when a bellowing voice shouted... "Get off my land"

I took another step and he repeated it again..only louder.... I retreated and left a card on the fence post,as I was pulling away he picked up the card and was trying to rip it in half...he was struggling because i have got them laminated (thanks for the tip P.c) :lol: ...obviously having a bad day . it did make me laugh though

Never had that response before..hey ho I will keep trying...

Edited by steveyg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're trespassing on his land. I suppose that's good enough reason for the farmer to speak to you how he wants. To give abuse back would just be asking for trouble. Personally I'd take it on the chin and move on, rather than act the hard man and give abuse back.

Had the get off my land bellowed at me once!! Did exactly the same by leaving a card. Two days later Mr farmer called asking me to help him as his "usual" shooters had let him down, I thought about for a moment and then decided on turning him down anyhow, he asked why to which I hung up.

You don't know how many others have been knocking on his door , or what sort of day he has been having.

Smile and nod and move on. :)

This^^^^

It's bloody infuriating how I'm so popular at harvest time, gets quiet when its cold, slushy and windy....

Had the get off my land bellowed at me once!! Did exactly the same by leaving a card. Two days later Mr farmer called asking me to help him as his "usual" shooters had let him down, I thought about for a moment and then decided on turning him down anyhow, he asked why to which I hung up.

I'm sure he found someone else...

I have been told the same, being so close to birmingham the local farmers are very weary and suspicious of new shooters, most are more pleasant than your chap though! I've given up trying to find ground round here now(250 cards given out), my one permission is fruitless and urban(pain in the backside) so my shooting now consists of payed days here and there and clays.

I don't think that I would like to shoot on that blokes land anyway. Even if he had a problem of some kind there is no need to be arrogant and start shouting at you. He had no idea of what you wanted. It would have served him right If you were trying to tell him that there was smoke coming out of his buildings or the machinery. All he had to do was to take the card and say he'd put it in his back pocket. You'd never know where you stood with a bloke like that.

I don't think that I would like to shoot on that blokes land anyway. Even if he had a problem of some kind there is no need to be arrogant and start shouting at you. He had no idea of what you wanted. It would have served him right If you were trying to tell him that there was smoke coming out of his buildings or the machinery. All he had to do was to take the card and say he'd put it in his back pocket. You'd never know where you stood with a bloke like that.

yeah....well said....i think it is appalling that someone can speak to anther person without reason in the first place......ive always been my own downfall...but that was for various reasons ..not uncalled for aggression like that....

so that is a good and proper answer.. :good:

We've had many knock backs over the years, one farm took at least five visits always when the birds were hitting it hard. Once you manage to get one , turn up when requested and you might get recommended to go on others.

With regard to Steveyg perhaps he thought you were Greg Wallace and hates cooking???????

We've had many knock backs over the years, one farm took at least five visits always when the birds were hitting it hard. Once you manage to get one , turn up when requested and you might get recommended to go on others.

With regard to Steveyg perhaps he thought you were Greg Wallace and hates cooking? ??????

My grandaugher thinks i look like the taxi driver from the go compare advert.... :lol:

I did it once years ago,

Me and a mate had been out all day knocking on doors and saw a field covered in rabbits,

Knocked on farm door and his wife answered, so we asked the question and her reply "why do you want to shoot the rabbits?"

We smiled, thanked her and left....... :innocent:

There was no real answer to that

:shaun:

Been there, got the spittle on the t-shirt.

My reply to the "We already have shooters, thank you very much!", was "Then you might want to point out to them they are doing a poo job over there (points to field) as it is swarming with VERMIN eating your grass, here's my card, call me when you are fed up feeding rabbits instead of sheep".

Only took a week.

You're trespassing on his land. I suppose that's good enough reason for the farmer to speak to you how he wants.

No reason at all, I'd never dream of talking or shouting to a total stranger an my door like that, no right. You could have been anyone. Agree he could have been having a bad day but still no excuse, I wouldn't want anything to do with him, regardless how much land he had.

No reason at all, I'd never dream of talking or shouting to a total stranger an my door like that, no right. You could have been anyone. Agree he could have been having a bad day but still no excuse, I wouldn't want anything to do with him, regardless how much land he had.

Anybody handing out verbal abuse obviously has a reason for doing so. It's their problem and not yours, so you take it on the chin and leave. You don't know what the farmer's dealing with in his life. Being controversial would be counter-productive, and only serve to wind both parties up.

• 2 months later...

Been there, got the spittle on the t-shirt.

My reply to the "We already have shooters, thank you very much!", was "Then you might want to point out to them they are doing a poo job over there (points to field) as it is swarming with VERMIN eating your grass, here's my card, call me when you are fed up feeding rabbits instead of sheep".

Only took a week.

You've swooped in and taken someone else's shooting?