No benefits

southman1

My wife suddenly passed away on the 25 July , only been working one or two days a week since last August ,i but some times not at all be cause she was to poorly to be left . Any way went to the job pluse centre,to day to see if I was intitled to any benefits .explaned that I had not been working as a self employed gardener be cause of the curecome stances , I explained that I have lost my custermers due to looking after my wife , and that should pick up one or two days a week and was there any way to help with the shortfall and help with the bills i was told i coud go on Job seekers allowinse . Said that's no good I won't get it if I work one or two days a week ,o that's right he replied , am I entitled to any thing then I asked he then looked at his screen and said I might be able to get working tax credits but I have to do exactly 30 hours a week , I replied that I might be only working one or two days a week o that's not going to help you ,he replied,,so no help then i answered. Told him i have been working since I was 15 I am 63 now this is my first time to ask for help and you say no angry and gutted yet in their is signs saying if you are a drug adicect or alcoholic on benifefets to ask four this and that ,perhaps i should of stayed in bed all this years and got everything paid for me ,whose the mug ,me or them

I am very sorry for your loss.

If you are self employed, then you are working when you are gardening, when you are looking for new customers, when you are thinking of ways of looking for new customers, when you are doing your books, visiting garden centers, planning visits to garden centers etc...

If you look carefully at at how much you are working I think you will find you are working exactly 30 hours a week.

Very sorry about your loss. Please take the advice already offered and seek help - Citizens Advice Bureau would be a good start. You need someone to sit down with you, properly go through your circumstances and what is available to you. What you don't need is someone, with limited time to spend on you, giving you broad brush advice,

Good luck and don't throw the towel in. Sometimes you have to be more persistent than comes naturally.

My wife suddenly passed away on the 25 July , only been working one or two days a week since last August ,i but some times not at all be cause she was to poorly to be left . Any way went to the job pluse centre,to day to see if I was intitled to any benefits .explaned that I had not been working as a self employed gardener be cause of the curecome stances , I explained that I have lost my custermers due to looking after my wife , and that should pick up one or two days a week and was there any way to help with the shortfall and help with the bills i was told i coud go on Job seekers allowinse . Said that's no good I won't get it if I work one or two days a week ,o that's right he replied , am I entitled to any thing then I asked he then looked at his screen and said I might be able to get working tax credits but I have to do exactly 30 hours a week , I replied that I might be only working one or two days a week o that's not going to help you ,he replied,,so no help then i answered. Told him i have been working since I was 15 I am 63 now this is my first time to ask for help and you say no angry and gutted yet in their is signs saying if you are a drug adicect or alcoholic on benifefets to ask four this and that ,perhaps i should of stayed in bed all this years and got everything paid for me ,whose the mug ,me or them

You will be in entitled to a berievement pension depending on your national insurance payments it could be £113 a week check up on the uk gov website

This govenment has swung from one extreame to the other . A decade ago you could get a benifit for almost anything. Now its very difficult to get any help. Last year I was ill for a month and could not work. Being self employed at the time i attempted to claim sickness beneifit. I got £10 for the month.

At the moment I am ill again with heart problems and off work, but not bothered to claim as its not worth the hassel for just a tenner. But I guess that's just what this govenment wants!

I am very sorry for your loss.

If you are self employed, then you are working when you are gardening, when you are looking for new customers, when you are thinking of ways of looking for new customers, when you are doing your books, visiting garden centers, planning visits to garden centers etc...

If you look carefully at at how much you are working I think you will find you are working exactly 30 hours a week.

^^what he said!

you did the right thing going to the job centre...they will register your visit....any documentation you have proving when this all started to happen is a must...as when it is finally sorted out the state will back date your claim to that date...........i know as it took me over 6mths to get my full time carers allowance to make things easier looking after my wife...once you have been awarded your first claim...it will become apparent that you may be entitled to other allowances...............

i have always worked and never sponged off the state....i fully intended to be working now full time ..still travelling the country earning a damn good screw....but you never know what life has in store for you....and i am a carer now..i have cut my cloth according to my needs....and i havnt had a mobile for 5 years now !!

thank god the state was there to pick up the pieces...mind you with the tax i was paying why not..............im sure the DWP dosnt make things simple for a reason !!....DONT let it wear you down...and as the other boys have said CAB.....i used them twice in the beginning...and never since.......there are some VERY VERY smart cookies there...that give their time for free.............

let us know how you get on......