Starter reloading kit

Hopefully my variation will be sorted sort for Centre Fire and I am planning to reload once I have accumulated enough once fired brass.

To start off with is the Lee stuff ok? I have checked out 1967spud and there is the Lee anniversary kit available which has everything needed to kick off with except the dies.

The use for the reloaded rounds will be hunting to keep the cost down over factory rounds.

Cheers Neil

I use Lee and they do their job but as for cost cutting i think you will be disappointed seeing as you are using them for hunting as the amount you are going to shoot on your hunting trips you will not see the benefit. I think reloading for target shooting is were its a benefit.

I use Lee and they do their job but as for cost cutting i think you will be disappointed seeing as you are using them for hunting as the amount you are going to shoot on your hunting trips you will not see the benefit. I think reloading for target shooting is were its a benefit.

To true reloading for hunting won't save you any money but you will be able to get the same round twice which can be a problem around here that's why i started. I don't think it would save money for target shooting it just means you can shoot more for the same money :yes:

To true reloading for hunting won't save you any money but you will be able to get the same round twice which can be a problem around here that's why i started. I don't think it would save money for target shooting it just means you can shoot more for the same money :yes:

Yep your right.

Cheers all for the info I am now really tempted by the Lee kit as it sounds like what I need initially

To be honest I am heading down the reloading route for a couple of reasons

1) Consistancy of round i.e I can hopefully get a more accurate round for my particular rifle

2) As im looking at a .204 or .17 hornet it will mean I have a regular supply of ammo rather than relying on spotty local supplies for a niche calibre

Cheers Neil

The Lee Pro 1000 is a progressive press and will make good .223 ammo. I don't think it can contend with a longer brass case than .223. For precision shooting it has to be single stage though. It's fun too, knowing your crafting your own recipe. RCBS is a class act. Lee will do it just as well.

he lee kit is a start if you are loading conventionaly, I gave up on normal rifle presses years ago, i load on wilson dies now, i just have a cheapo lee o frame pres and dies for new brass thats all cant remember the last time i loaded a bullet with the dies just use the size die.

If you start with the cheap lee loader tool for whatever rifle you buy, it will load accurate ammo and its rather like a wilsons die. A good way to start and just some decent scales, look into the lee loaders they are a good way to start, wish i had gone this way to start with .

Edited by TONY R

Lee Anniversary kit is fine for starting and then invest in a set of Lee pace-setter dies which are are very good. There's a few junk items in the kit like the Quick-trim which doesn't work as well as the standard hand trim plus gauge. The scales get a roasting by many but tbh, I find them perfectly adequate and easy to use. The powder thrower is excellent. Just make sure that you buy a decent reloading manual. One of the better ones imho is Richard Lee's reloading manual.

There is a good reason for getting into reloading even if you don't intend to shoot 1000's per year down the range. Point is that you can tailor very accurate rounds using the bullet of your choice specifically to your rifle and it teaches you a few things about ballistics and safety too. Everyone ought to have a go at reloading at some stage in their shooting history.

Cheers for the all the useful information I think its going to have to be the Lee anniversary set. As I am either going for a .204 and .17hornet (variation is in) I dont think the Lee Loading are available as they are bit of an unusual calibre.

Cheers for the all the useful information I think its going to have to be the Lee anniversary set. As I am either going for a .204 and .17hornet (variation is in) I dont think the Lee Loading are available as they are bit of an unusual calibre.

No they are not, but you can go the hog right out of the starting gate and go for wilsons. its a Thing you need to look into, but if i had my time to come again i would have gone this way from the off.

All slips in a drawer 4 calibers and a arbbor press in the workshop i wing nut to the bench. But you can use a mallet.

Edited by TONY R

Lee stuff is fine.

I bought a second hand kit off one of the lads on here years ago and it never failed to produce consistent rounds.

The powder thrower was very consistent once set up correctly, and I turned out a few hundred rounds with it.

I added to it over time, and then sold off, mostly at a loss, a lot of the must have components, that I never actually needed.

Buy a kinetic hammer as well.

I still get an occasional ( :whistling: ) round I have to take apart and, even though I have a Hornady bullet puller, the kinetic hammer is my preferred tool for the job as it is a lot less faffing about.

To clean or not clean the brass is an issue that has been debated over and over.

Your options are do nothing and just resize/neck size and reload, use wire wool, tumbler or ultrasonic.

I had a tumbler but sold it on.

I bought a cheap ultrasonic cleaner form Aldi and compared the results to the tumbler before I decided to sell it.

Even though the US requires a little more attention the results are more in line with what I wanted, and it took less time overall. meaning I could turn out 20 rounds quickly if I had to.

I added a bigger more expensive tumbler a short time later.

You can also clean the brass in a bottle of own brand coke rolled around under your foot for half an hour with good results, just rinse them well after cleaning.

To me reloading is just another part of shooting.

It's a very nice way to spend a few hours making all those shiny new pointy things, which I know will go where I want them to.

Have fun.

• 3 weeks later...