The Olympics...no thanks

ditchman

I only like some aspects of sport, I am not a football fan at all, but I can why people like it.

A bit like the bah humbug folks do you ever get the feeling you may be missing out on something Zapp?

I used to hate Christmas, now I really like it (the holiday period, not the build up that starts in September) so I do slightly regret those years avoiding it like the plague.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This isnt meant in any way as a rebuttal, people get masses of enjoyment from it and that's great, I'm just giving my perspective on why sport does nothing for me personally - imagine it all just being someone running, or throwing something, kicking a ball or riding a bike. No feelings of connection with it, no interest in who wins or loses.

A bit like Christmas I suppose, some people (me included) love it, others arent bothered. Takes all sorts etc etc.

To me what the sport is is somewhat irrelevant. And if there had been no GB involvement I wouldn't be bothered. It was just incredibly emotional to see us doing so well and the crowd going ballistic. Those scenes with the commentators screaming their heads off when Farah was heading for the line. Or the one a few Olympics ago when Redgrave was heading for his 5th gold. Phew. These kind of events done come around that often.

I didn't go to the London Olympics as I was working overseas. I really regret it. My friends who went said the atmosphere, especially in the Veledrome and on Super Sunday was just spine tingling. I have seen bits many times on DVD and I fail to see how anybody wouldn't be moved by it. Each to their own.

One of the swimmers from my daughters swimming club, Elinah Phillip, is representing British Virgin Islands (She was born there and her parents are from there). I see how hard she trains yet she won't make any finals. Good luck to her anyway.

good luck to her and the other 11,000 contestents who will be able to say they were at the olympics in Rio, what an experience

good luck to her and the other 11,000 contestents who will be able to say they were at the olympics in Rio, what an experience

Just representing your country is a great achievement, and something to be remembered for many years to come. I represented Wales in international DTL in 1995/6 and still feel proud of what I did. True, I didn't get the accolade that I probably would have had if I had played rugby, but still feel good about it.

Think we are all missing the point of the original post.................

i think anyone competing at that level is a great achievement .....i dont have a particular interest in this type of sport...but i "used" to like watching "the best of the best".......but that is all in the past....as it now seems anyone competing at that level....dosnt appear to be drug free.....and that is the crux of it all i can no longer watch any of that type of sport without thinking ...."are they drugging it up ?".......if so they are a fraud...and i feel insulted that they are trying to pull the wool over my eyes...i can no longer believe any achievement they have made..................but they can live with it...and the money and the fame..

so all of this "jigging" about to me is just a sham now..

but they can live with it...and the money and the fame..

For very few.

More athletes leave the games with depression, heartache and a hollowness than with medals.

Amateur sports at that level are a meat grinder, all but the very top get chewed up and spat out, to be replaced by younger meat.

Edited by iano

I can't believe what a bunch of moaners you all are.

The London 2012 olympics were fantastic. It was a great spectacle and a great performance from all Team GB competitors.

Who cares if countries want to bankrupt themselves bidding for and hosting it. That their choice.

I admire the dedication and effort that all competitors put into their sport. Reading some posts on here I suspect some of you think all you have to do is inject yourselves full of a few drugs and rock on up. Get real. If you really looked at what it takes, and there have been a number of documentaries on TV recently spotlighting particular athletes - they spend months away from their families, taking their bodies to breaking point and beyond in order to make the grade. A few are winners and celebrities but for every Bolt or Farah they are hundreds of unknowns competing because they love their sport.

Well said.

well said too.

This.

We went to the London Olympics along with thousands of others, it is something I will never forget.

If you don't like it don't watch it -simple as that.

its quite hard to miss it after all it takes over the television for weeks.at least football has the decency to sell the rights to the likes of sky or bt so we are not all bored to tears by it every week

Just representing your country is a great achievement, and something to be remembered for many years to come. I represented Wales in international DTL in 1995/6 and still feel proud of what I did. True, I didn't get the accolade that I probably would have had if I had played rugby, but still feel good about it.

well done steve, its about doing it and the memories, as it will be for the vast majority of athletes at Rio,

its quite hard to miss it after all it takes over the television for weeks.at least football has the decency to sell the rights to the likes of sky or bt so we are not all bored to tears by it every week

It lasts for 16 days and happens once every 4 years. There are plenty of channels where it won`t be shown. If it bores you don`t watch it, simples.

Personally I enjoy watching some of the events but not others as I simply don't understand the rules/point scoring. The Archery has been good to watch, for me the slow-mos indicate the level of skill required to compete at the top plus it's easy to understand the team that gets more arrows in the yellow, wins! :lol:

Edited by Ttfjlc

Have just been waiting on the BBC red button for Judo. I can hear it but all I can see is 'Loading, please wait......' Waited long enough; am now watching Skyfall......again. Never mind, I'll maybe watch it next time. Only four years to go. :|

One of those events that I don't understand the rules, I watched 2 minutes of it, one guy had another guy in a hold and got 100 points for it. Switched back to the Archery!

One of those events that I don't understand the rules, I watched 2 minutes of it, one guy had another guy in a hold and got 100 points for it. Switched back to the Archery!

Fair enough. I wouldn't understand that either; in my day it was either two Wazari or an Ippon.

Watched the men's road race yesterday and apart from the poor filming it was one of the most exciting sports events I have seen.

The drugs thing does soil it to some extent certainly every Russian and Chinese becomes suspect.

I watched the road race as well, really enjoyed it, the stamina those lads have is unreal.

It crossed my mind in the later stages that if the Russian won what the opinion would have been as he stood collecting the Gold Medal.

Well done to our lads who came 11th, 12th & 15th... :good: ..I really thought Thomas was in with a chance before he come off.

Watched the men's road race yesterday and apart from the poor filming it was one of the most exciting sports events I have seen.

The drugs thing does soil it to some extent certainly every Russian and Chinese becomes suspect.

Not to forget British women I was so hoping that Gareth Thomas was going to get a medal as he does work so hard and he does seem to be a really down to earth bloke.