£3.70 a bird

steveyg

Treated myself to a paid days shooting today, rape stubble was on offer and was set up for 11am. The wind was perfect and the first hour was really good sport

I had forgotton how magical it is watching a bird totally commit to a decoy pattern... :good:

I know a lot of people on the forum are not in favour for paying for pigeon shooting however I thoroughly enjoyed the day.

Finished on 27 and had a cracking double however on the hour drive back home I started doing the maths...£3.70 apigeon,, :hmm:

I think I would probably have been better off spending the money on diesel and allocating the time to door knocking.....

Then again had a great day in the country side and timed my departure perfectly..two mins in the truck and the heavens opened big time

If you haven't got the acreage available to you, or the time to look for it, or do any recon, then buying a day is the answer.

I know lots of people that do it and consider it no different than buying a days game shooting, or a day on the Broads, or somewhere similar, with a fishing guide.

You enjoyed it and thats all that matters.

£100 isn't bad for a day out and 27 birds really, was that all the hide/kit setup for you as well?

Though It really frustrates me how 'guides' turn up in the summer with all and sundry on the stubbles and cherry pick all the best shooting when you've been struggling on all year carrying kit for miles etc, I can also see why people want to pay for the shooting when they haven't or any of their own. Your day out sounds perfect for someone who hasn't got access to their own shooting and very affordable for a day out.

Im lucky to have 10,000s of acres to shoot over but at particular times we dont have the numbers that other parts of the country have,

and I have in the past paid for shooting pigeon (£150) and found it good value when you consider reconnaissance needed to provide a decent day.

Im lucky to have 10,000s of acres to shoot over but at particular times we dont have the numbers that other parts of the country have,

and I have in the past paid for shooting pigeon (£150) and found it good value when you consider reconnaissance needed to provide a decent day.

Your right I think people underestimate costs. I have many farms to shoot over but still have a bill of circa £400 for Christmas drinks and endless recce,.Whilst I don't charge I do ask fr a £20 contribution to meet my costs.