What is this???

herby

I've wanted to try one for ages, was in the woods and spotted one in some scrub, fought through brambles etc to get to my prize only to discover it was in fact a deflated children's football!

that made me laugh the only thing that you have to be careful about is they do get grubs/worms in them and dogs may have had a pee on it but it would be interesting to see what they taste like.

I've wanted to try one for ages, was in the woods and spotted one in some scrub, fought through brambles etc to get to my prize only to discover it was in fact a deflated children's football!

What did it taste like ?.

This brings back memories, I'd forgotten all about puff balls. Me and my friends would spend hours playing with them when we were kids, we had no clue what they were but they were everywhere, giant brown ones about the size of a football that released what looked like smoke if you squeezed them.

Take your giant puffball, cut in half to check there is NO yellowing (if yellowing - throw away). You want it pure white.

Cut into 1/2 thick slices, peel skin off then dip in beaten egg, fry in butter and a bit of herb like parsley if you like, add salt and pepper to taste and enjoy a very nice mushroom :good:

Take your giant puffball, cut in half to check there is NO yellowing (if yellowing - throw away). You want it pure white.

Cut into 1/2 thick slices, peel skin off then dip in beaten egg, fry in butter and a bit of herb like parsley if you like, add salt and pepper to taste and enjoy a very nice mushroom :good:

Never tried cooking it like that. I've always just fried directly in a little bit of oil - again, roughly 1/2 inch thick slices.

This brings back memories, I'd forgotten all about puff balls. Me and my friends would spend hours playing with them when we were kids, we had no clue what they were but they were everywhere, giant brown ones about the size of a football that released what looked like smoke if you squeezed them.

That's not smoke, it's 10x7 to the power of 12 tiny spores. Did they teach you nothing at school?

That's not smoke, it's 10x7 to the power of 12 tiny spores.

OBVIOUSLY ! the 7,000,000,000,000 (7 trillion) spores, if collected would fill a very large bag and cause a partial eclipse for several seconds if released, 7 trillion seconds = 222,000 yrs and thats a very long time but not as long as the giant puff ball has been evolving (if you believe that sort of guff)