how much for deer stalking ground 300 acres

chipper

Thing is, if it needs a lot of cull work, then that's probably more important to the owner than someone paying more money and only taking 2-3 deer a year off it.

Think about it this way :

Person 1 offers £2000, you see them 4 times in the year, each time they take 1 deer.

Person 2 offers £500, but provides a cull and management plan, is there every 2 weeks, brings down the numbers to a sensible level.

Which would you take ? As a landowner myself, I know which I'd prefer, even if it leads to a lot less money in my pocket in the short term. Because I know that in the long term, my crops are going to do better if not getting hammered by loads of deer.

Thing is, if it needs a lot of cull work, then that's probably more important to the owner than someone paying more money and only taking 2-3 deer a year off it.

Think about it this way :

Person 1 offers £2000, you see them 4 times in the year, each time they take 1 deer.

Person 2 offers £500, but provides a cull and management plan, is there every 2 weeks, brings down the numbers to a sensible level.

Which would you take ? As a landowner myself, I know which I'd prefer, even if it leads to a lot less money in my pocket in the short term. Because I know that in the long term, my crops are going to do better if not getting hammered by loads of deer.

A very valid point.

A very valid point.

I would also add Fallow are very much here today gone tomorrow especially when they start getting Stalked/shot.

My advice would be try for a 50/50 Venison split with the land owner and see how it goes when the Deer are being shot.

Also consider extraction of any shot Deer especially Fallow come winter time .

Good luck and hope the outcome is Good for your friend and the Land Owner 👍

Depends on many factors, but one of the key ones is location. I know somewhere here in the South East that is leased for in excess of £2k and is only 300 acres, so £6.68 per acre. I know of various other places between £8 and £12 and the £12 land is absolute rubbish but the guy who has it is prepared to pay because its on his doorstep. In Scotland, you could probably buy the land for that (joking!).

Who keeps the venison? People could be a lot more creative with this, in my opinion to incentivise the stalker to shoot the agreed (in accordance with the deer management plan) number of deer. For instance, a reduction on next year's rent if thresholds are met.

• 4 weeks later...

Topography is also a question involved. Once you start shooting a few, particularly fallow, if there isn't adequate cover they will gone in a flash off 300 acres. I've seen a bunch of fallow run further than that just seeing a stalker after being shot heavily previously. I would have thought on average an offer of £500 with a signed lease for two or three seasons and some venison in his freezer would cover it.