404 This week

stugarford

Well, I've been busy this week. I've had my eye a rape stubble field since harvest, and there's been lots of birds building up on it.

So I pulled a sicky and had a day off on Wednesday! I got to the field early and put all my flags and hi-vis coats out on the next fields, to keep the birds off those fields.

I set my hide up, which was harvest net, in the middle of the field, and put laid rape around the net and the birds came into pattern immediately. I had a PB of 289 :yahoo:, and was bloody knackered by the time I picked up all the birds (Meg had a day off), but thanks to Chris for bringing in Jess to help! :good: I eventually got home at 8 o'clock and wasn't long after that I went to bed!! Another thanks to my Dad for taking the birds to the Game Dealer :good:

Thursday night, I went for a walk with Meg, and had 8 flighting into the trees, so that was the decoys ready for Saturday.

Friday night I was out on a recce and found a couple of disced rape field with a few birds about, lots of single birds back and forth, couldn't wait for Saturday!

Got up early Saturday morning, and when I arrived there were about 100 birds on the field. I built a lovely hide under a large bush, which was perfect as it was really hot on Saturday, and was in the shade all day! I put my flags and hi-vis on the other field next door, as this was rape stubble as well.

My mate Chris (and Jess) came and joined e, and we had birds coming in all day. We finished the day with 107 pigeons, and again, a big thanks to Jess for all her help (Poor old Meg - an all day session is just a bit much for her now.... she'd rather sunbathe in the garden) :)

Sorry the photos aren't the right way....can't seem to rotate them!

post-63284-0-18030200-1470554346_thumb.jpg

post-63284-0-72820600-1470554346_thumb.jpg

post-63284-0-95166600-1470554346_thumb.jpg

A good number of birds have been shot in Norfolk and Cambridgeshire in the last month. I dare say it will continue, but I think the rape stubble shooting will start to dry up very shortly.

I agree i think the rape stubble is about finished. We might get a few more on the beans and peas Motty