Decoying on Rape stubble

Mr Wasp

Not for me. Couldn't see a flight line the other day. Birds were everywhere and anywhere but not where I could be. Set up just for the hell of it and got about 5 in 2 hours. Better than the alternatives.

Finished the day with a sneaky rabbit and a cracking shot on a pigeon that I really should have missed but folded up and i got rather cuffed about.

now why would i feel left out of the **** you come out with

Sorry Stuart, but I've been out with JDog and taken valuable advice off of him and I can assure you he definitely knows his onions when it comes to pigeon shooting, he definitely does not talk ••••.......I've learnt more from him in 5 mins than reading books and listening to others....he really is a great guy and pigeon expert

OK, lets stop the personal attacks.

All members, new or old, can ask any question they like, regardless of whether its been asked before.

There is obviously going to be a repetition of subjects, with a Forum as large and as established as this one.

If you don't want to answer the question, then don't, someone else will.

There are a fair number of very experienced pigeon shooters on the Forum and they are quite happy to help.

• 2 weeks later...

To those with helpful comments much appreciated and many thanks.

I've been out to check things out today and there indeed were plenty of pigeons so ill give it a go.

I just started shooting pigeons only a year or so ago but my shooting partner with all the knowledge and experience unfortunately had a heart attack and passed way last spring which is why i joined this forum for advice etc. I was hoping to invite some experienced shooters within travelling distance for a couple of days shooting as i have the exclusive free range of approximately 2500 acres of corn rape and beans.

However, to those who just said to check out recent posts ...I'm surprised and disappointed by the tone / sarcasm

Your right, I don't get much of a chance to look at the forum as much as i would like as I'm running my company and working 13 hours a day, 6 days a week since March.

I'm not particularly brilliant on the computer and i did try and locate some recent posts on the subject but didn't locate any...

Many thanks again

I like you Mr Wasp am a late comer to this fantastic sport. So all the info I'm gaining from looking at posts such as yours is very helpful. I had what for me was a good day yesterday and had 40 pigeons for 90 shots over wheat stubble using my newly acquired rotary which did seem to work.

Anyway this is all good info and good luck with the rape stubble.

Mr Wasp, sorry to hear of your situation, you must have gone out with your deceased friend and have some basic knowledge of set ups and hides. So if you see the birds on the rape stubble watch where they want to feed and land and if the cut stalks are not too tall lay out your decoys and build your hide in that area ensuring the wind off your back or to the side and out of the current sun and where it will be. If the stalks are tall place your decoys on them to get them high and visible. Have some method to retain your dead birds in the hide to cool, Carp or Hesian sacks. Be prepared to cope with a hundred plus bag I.e. Carrying off the field, laying out , selling direct or freezing. If you look through my last two posts in July they were both on oilseed rape stubble, if you hit my avatar and look under topics .

Bean stubble is a similar crop to shoot

Good luck and let us know how you get on.??

Edited by pigeon controller