Watch buying advice

Twistedsanity

So I'm thinking of buying a nice second hand watch soon but wondered how do you know you're not buying a snide one as I hear some copies can even fool jewellers? Are there any to avoid with a view to depreciation or any to look for as an Investment? This is a subject I know less about than football and aside from goals and leather balls I know nothing about that either! I quite like the look of the breitling navitimer or an omega like the James bond one, are the limited edition James bond ones an investment or more of a novelty?

Edited by Twistedsanity

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If buying private make arrangments to do the deal in an A.D and pay his fee to remove the caseback/inspect the watch.

My only used watch i bought from a trusted shooting pal and know the source he aquired it from.

Brieghtling are a bit marmite so for minimising the depreciation omega for me, Speedy pro or seamaster with some age to it

Edited by Rupert

No,just fraught with danger. it arrives, you return they deny recieving it back you got no watch and no money, unknown seller unknown quality of item, if you want to buy on the bay, use a credit card registered to paypal and hope they are the last line of defense. Or make contact amd arrange to meet at an AD and do it that way

Thanks, so ebay is clearly a stupid place to buy then?

Possibly.

But you'll find whatever you want (and all authentic) here

http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/

As above I'd stick with am Omega or something less "marmite" than Breitling (or even Rolex - which can look naff and make too much of a statement).

I have a bomb proof Seiko divers watch for crappy / dirty work. An Ebel chrono for every day "smart" use and an uber slim vintage Longines for dressy occasions. All lovely watches. All appreciating.

Edited by Eyefor

I was looking at a breitling navitimer in black in a pawn shop that was up for around 4k which started the ball rolling(very overpriced as expected), whatever it is it will get worn often which is going to affect the resale value, I'm looking to buy a keeper but would like to think it'll be worth a Few bob when I clock out or if ever I'm in need of a cash Injection, some inheritance due soon so it really depends on how much I like it as to how much the budget will be, the omega seamasters seem a solid investment? I agree that rolex's seem to have an Image attached to them i would rather avoid, thanks for the watchfinder link

Edited by Twistedsanity

For a daily have a look at titainium models,they dont show the scratches as the metal oxidises to conceal them, Omeage do the Seamaster in TI

http://www.chrono24.com/en/search/index.htm?query=Omega+Seamaster+300M+Titanium&dosearch=true&searchexplain=1&goal_suggest=1 or

http://www.chrono24.com/en/search/index.htm?query=Omega+Seamaster++Titanium&dosearch=true&searchexplain=true

Panerai?

Edited by Rupert

If buying private make arrangments to do the deal in an A.D and pay his fee to remove the caseback/inspect the watch.

My only used watch i bought from a trusted shooting pal and know the source he aquired it from.

Brieghtling are a bit marmite so for minimising the depreciation omega for me, Speedy pro or seamaster with some age to it

Tart! , I wanted a Seamaster in Titanium but ended up with a Breitling. Remember our conversation :-)

I'm.liking the titanium idea, never heard of panerai though, I'm a real novice

Titanium is so light, Panerai are excellent but not to everyone's taste but that's the whole point, we are individuals and have so few ways of expressing ourselves in the Jewellery dept, unlike the ladies..

They had stopped making the Seamaster in Titanium so i bought this..

DSC_0844.jpg

Agree on Blowers. Well respected in the SH watch market.

+1 Bought an excellent winder from them as well.

Edited by keg

Tart! , I wanted a Seamaster in Titanium but ended up with a Breitling. Remember our conversation :-)

I remember it well, buy now as they will never be as cheap again.

Most recent aquisition 116600 full set even the little screwdriver, its in amazing condition

I remember it well, buy now as they will never be as cheap again.

Most recent aquisition 116600 full set even the little screwdriver, its in amazing condition

Very nice! I like a lot but IIRC you dive as well?

Can't justify a third with school fees coming up and the sentimental value of my sub is beyond value to me...

Be great to see you up on the Chevin soon?

There's a lot of knobs, bells and whistles on a lot of these watches. All you really need are three hands; hour, minute, second and a hole with the date shown.

Omega Seamaster 15'000 guass is a good 'un. :good:

Any Omega is a good choice in my humble opinion.

Very nice! I like a lot but IIRC you dive as well?

Can't justify a third with school fees coming up and the sentimental value of my sub is beyond value to me...

Be great to see you up on the Chevin soon?

Retired from diving now, a fatality on my last trip was the last straw.The Chevin is possible i do visit on occasion.

The venerable Sub is on my wish list, 5513 from 1968 would be ideal (birth year)