Watch buying advice

Twistedsanity

I also got a few watches; I bought a 45mm planet ocean last year, you can get pretty nice prices from a couple of websites around, I recommend iconicwatches.co.uk, I saved a bundle when bought the Omega...

Otherwise, I also used watchfinder, and ebay; but again you need to be super careful!

My opinion is not to buy watches as 'investment' -- buy them, wear them. Then you die anyway!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steinhart do some nice divers, including a titanium for around £500 and nice Sub homages

I have the Ocean One Premium Blue. Thats the watch I wear the most. The Ti was released afterward. I can /definitely/ recommend them, even if they are not ~£4K watches.

6yJhGbQ.jpg

Sorry too hijack the thread,

But are Bullova watches any good, the wife got me one for Xmas in 2014, it's still in the box, I've worn it twice (I don't wear watches)

Flynny

Depends on the model etc, but it's a very good brand. One of my favourite watch, by far, is a Bullova. Vintage 1964 first electronic watch (predate qwartz), 18K gold. That movement was the one used in the lunar modules, so it's actually quite a bit mode significant than the Omega Speedmaster. Anyway, it's a nerd watch, but there are countless Bullova that have really nice, classy designs.

Here's mine:

1D1mfi7.jpg

I know ebay links aren't allowed but.... nerd watch

Ah, nice example, BUT, it's 'only' 14K, and the minute marks are printed on the inside of the crystal, while mine has the 'space ring' of a swiss model.

You wouln't believe how long I waited and how many Spaceviews I've looked at before buying mine, and I've never seen the like again.. There is a collector site with the exact same watch in white gold, but otherwise it's the best I've ever seen for that model.

Still, the case of that ebay spaceview (conversion, most likely) is really lovely!

Longines also makes pretty nice watches. Here's my Evidenza Chronograph -- they also make a very nice Hydroconquest diver, I might pick one of these at some point...

Evidenza in full action mode:

NaEPsBv.jpg

That Longines is my type of wrist adornment. never been too fussed on the big chunk dive type watches.

Does the wife like it?

Lol, she ain't wearing it mate, but it must have caught her eye for her to buy it for me,

Not to sound ungrateful , but she's knows I don't wear any shiny things apart from the wedding ring lol, but she was struggling to get me a gift for the sky fairy day lol

Flynny

Lol, she ain't wearing it mate, but it must have caught her eye for her to buy it for me,

Not to sound ungrateful , but she's knows I don't wear any shiny things apart from the wedding ring lol, but she was struggling to get me a gift for the sky fairy day lol

Flynny

Sorry

I was looking at a breitling navitimer in black in a pawn shop that was up for around 4k which started the ball rolling(very overpriced as expected), whatever it is it will get worn often which is going to affect the resale value, I'm looking to buy a keeper but would like to think it'll be worth a Few bob when I clock out or if ever I'm in need of a cash Injection, some inheritance due soon so it really depends on how much I like it as to how much the budget will be, the omega seamasters seem a solid investment? I agree that rolex's seem to have an Image attached to them i would rather avoid, thanks for the watchfinder link

I had a seamaster that i brought used had it for seven years then sold it (wish i hadn't) for £250 more then i paid for it. I would go for the planet ocean or the seamaster with blue face & bezel not the black .

Edited by fse10

I had a seamaster that i brought used had it for seven years then sold it (wish i hadn't) for £250 more then i paid for it. I would go for the planet ocean or the seamaster with blue face & bezel not the black .

What was the reason it had gone up in value ?

What was the reason it had gone up in value ?

There is a huge following for older watches,the loved it back then but couldnt afford it,dont like the new model brigade.Also manufacturers regulate supply to protect residuals and stimulate demand.

Bought this in 2003 for half its current value

20160707_192554_zps3h0mluts.jpg

The sea master chrono is a beautiful piece of work I tried one on when recently in London.

My mother and sister bought a bloody mulberry handbag and they gave us a free Christmas reef for the front door. I was carrying it in a bag wrapped up so they all thought I had money and were asking "would you like to try it on sir" , naturally I had a go lol! The chrono was bigger than the non chrono but I'm a big bloke so fit me much better.

Practically, does the chrono offer any actual benefit over the non chrono ?

I was at school with a chap who owns a chain of Jewellers in Leeds. Collecting a repair, he asked me to guess the price of a Patek Philippe he had just sold.

He draped it over my wrist still in its vacuum sealed bag and i took a guess at £50k as i know they are special. Not my style but each to their own.

I stopped at £482,000

Only one of ten worldwide.