FAC application prerequisite - help!

Just had a call from my FEO looking to book me in for an appointment to discuss my FAC application, however they have stated that they would require me to have had some experience of shooting rimfire before granting me a certificate. I was not aware that this is a prerequisite otherwise I would have undertaken a course of some sort (just checked BASC site for upcoming rifle awareness course and nothing available nearby). I challenged them if there is another way to demonstrate competency and understanding and they would require me to have actual shooting experience rather than theoretical knowledge. They stated that as long as I have been out with someone before for a few hours and that person can verify that they would be satisfied to discuss my application further. Anyone in the Bedfordshire area that can take me out for an induction either on one of their permissions or mine? The particular permission that I have detailed on my application has been cleared for 30 06 calibre and is infested with rabbits if you fancy a bit of rabbit shooting.

It's not a requirement. They would 'prefer' you to have some experience, but they certainly cannot enforce such.

If they try to claim otherwise, ask them to put it in writing, so that you can discuss the matter with BASC. I suspect they will back down rapidly.

Just had a call from my FEO looking to book me in for an appointment to discuss my FAC application, however they have stated that they would require me to have had some experience of shooting rimfire before granting me a certificate. I was not aware that this is a prerequisite otherwise I would have undertaken a course of some sort (just checked BASC site for upcoming rifle awareness course and nothing available nearby). I challenged them if there is another way to demonstrate competency and understanding and they would require me to have actual shooting experience rather than theoretical knowledge. They stated that as long as I have been out with someone before for a few hours and that person can verify that they would be satisfied to discuss my application further. Anyone in the Bedfordshire area that can take me out for an induction either on one of their permissions or mine? The particular permission that I have detailed on my application has been cleared for 30 06 calibre and is infested with rabbits if you fancy a bit of rabbit shooting.

hello, i had to do the same for FAC L/R and have been shooting over 50 years, a nice chap of here helped so good luck with yours

thanks robbie.

should i put a post up in the free shooting opportunities section looking for someone to take me out?

No you should do as Robbie suggests, or is it fair to expect somebody you have met once for a few shots to some how make you an experienced shooter and if the FEO asks who took you out will that be recorded.

Have you used an air gun? Or can you not join a local gun club?

No you should do as Robbie suggests, or is it fair to expect somebody you have met once for a few shots to some how make you an experienced shooter and if the FEO asks who took you out will that be recorded.

Have you used an air gun? Or can you not join a local gun club?

i stated to the feo that i have had years and years of experiance with air rifles but no rf experiance. i hear what your saying about challenging the feo on their request to gain practical experiance but im not sure how friendly they would be after i reject their claim and state that it is not a prerequisite they can enforce. i would be gutted if my application was rejected as i have fought so hard to gain the permissions that i have and i want to retain them, and to do so i need rf to clear the rabbit problem, something which i am unable to do effectively with the airgun right now.

Its funny how we all talk tough after we have received our grants, its easy to forget the worry you have about not being given a grant,.... having said that the information is correct it's not a legal requirement to have experiance.

I myself had shot air guns & shotguns for years but my FEO would've preferred if i'd of had experiance, we did the interview & i demonstrated I was a safe & measured person & the FEO said leave it with me, my ticket turned up the day before my shooting partners after we sent them off the same day the interesting thing is that a kind PW member took him out for a day & signed a letter of recommendation.

just my experiance, Kennym

I appreciate what you are saying about challenging the FEO and wanting your ticket, but if we are not careful these type of issues become dangerous with them next insisting on some sort of test or qualification.

And let's be realistic, just how much experience can you get by going out with somebody for a couple of hours and then the FEO passing the responsibility on to their shoulders by asking if you are a safe gun.

It's not an easy nut to crack but is it not about the FEO covering his backside? And what if he said you need to be mentored for six months before you can have your certificate? Where do you draw the line and start questioning the situation? After all I assume you are after a .22lr or .17hmr for the bunnies not a 50cal.

Hi Mate

I had to jump through the same hoops in TVP but fortunately had a mate who took me out and would vouch for me in a letter so I can understand how you would be stuck. I am not far from you in Milton Keynes so if you want I would be happy to bring my rimfires to your perm for you to have a crack with a few times if you like. I would offer on mine but the farmer hasnt granted me permission to take people on as of yet.

Ping me a PM if you are interested I have a HMR and a .22LR so coulld give you a flavour of both and can run through backstops ect with them.

Cheers Neil

I appreciate what you are saying about challenging the FEO and wanting your ticket, but if we are not careful these type of issues become dangerous with them next insisting on some sort of test or qualification.

And let's be realistic, just how much experience can you get by going out with somebody for a couple of hours and then the FEO passing the responsibility on to their shoulders by asking if you are a safe gun.

It's not an easy nut to crack but is it not about the FEO covering his backside? And what if he said you need to be mentored for six months before you can have your certificate? Where do you draw the line and start questioning the situation? After all I assume you are after a .22lr or .17hmr for the bunnies not a 50cal.

When I've done it in the past my feo has never asked if the person I'm training is a safe Gun, all he ever asks is would I go shooting with them. A simple yes or no is my answer.

I just want to say thanks for all your responses and support, with a special thanks to Neil aka Zetter for his time the other night in bashing some bunnies.

I had the FEO around this morning and it all went well, bit of a relief to be honest.

I'm now on the hunt for a rifle (excuse the pun)! Looking at CZ452, seems to be a popular, sensible and cost effective choice. The barrel options in terms of length and design makes it confusing as to what I should pick. Im not worried about weight or length, my criteria is it should be accurate, obviously!. Does barrel length effect velocity? what is the benefit of varmint barrel?

I just want to say thanks for all your responses and support, with a special thanks to Neil aka Zetter for his time the other night in bashing some bunnies.

I had the FEO around this morning and it all went well, bit of a relief to be honest.

I'm now on the hunt for a rifle (excuse the pun)! Looking at CZ452, seems to be a popular, sensible and cost effective choice. The barrel options in terms of length and design makes it confusing as to what I should pick. Im not worried about weight or length, my criteria is it should be accurate, obviously!. Does barrel length effect velocity? what is the benefit of varmint barrel?

There's no advantage to a varmint barrel on a rimfire, it just makes it heavier for no real reason. Varmint barrels are really for centrefires that are throwing a lot of lead downrange like target shooting where they don't heat up as much. Rimfires don't suffer that.

A CZ452 is a top notch choice IMO. I'd always go for the shortest barrel possible as it's easier to use from a vehicle.