1st attempt at longnetting

Hi all. After much practice dropping the two longnets our first attempt at the real thing went quite well last night. We have a 100yd 4oz nylon net, and my handmade 75yd hemp longnet.

Our first port of call was a cover crop on the outside of a wood. We knew the rabbits come out of the wood into the crops to feed so off i went at dusk to drop the two nets between the cover crops and the wood. I agreed with dead eye duck and our YTS trainee (with springer spaniel to assist with beating through crops) to give me 15 - 20 mins to drop the two nets then begin beating through the cover crops. The drop went well, however the nylon net picked picked up every twig in the area and was a cause for frustration as i was on a time limit, my handmade hemp net was a joy to drop and handle (yes i am biased i spent 7 weeks making the chuffin' thing), when all said and done i had both nets up and ready and myself in position at the agreed time PHEW!

Dead eye duck and YTS trainee began beating through the cover crops, YTS spaniel was superb keeping close to him and working the area very well. It didn't take long before all hell broke loose!! and rabbits started hitting the nets, in my inexperience i had set the nets 15yds from the crops and i noticed that some rabbits had time to slow down before hitting the net and thus didn't become entangled (note to self next time set the net almost up against the crops) also a few bounced out of the net where i hadn't got the nets bagging set quite right (again note to self to be more vigilant next time) However as i scampered up and down the nets killing the rabbits that hit the nets at speed and in the areas i had got the nets bagging right i realised two things 1. jesus i am bloody unfit, 2. what an absolute riot this is!!! As trainee and canine companion got through the last of the crops and i was rapidly approaching a heart attack our first drop was completed WOO HOO!! :lol: B)

YTS lasting impression was of of one of my particularly long sprints 120yds or so to catch one of the bunnies in a net where just as i reached for it the bloody thing it untangled itself and escaped, i must admit i did swear at it :good: . Not a huge bag as we gathered the slain but the nylon net accounted for 5 rabbits and the hemp for 3. We should have at least doubled that score perhaps even tripled it but for our first drop where we learned an awful lot i was very pleased indeed. I would have gone just to catch the three in my hemp net!! :lol:

We did try another drop that night alas without success with very few rabbits in the area. and as the heavens opened we called a halt and headed for home.

All you experienced longnetters out there please fell free to impart words of wisdom, take the PI** i am fairly sure of the areas i got wrong but would very much appreciate any helpful advice. If the weather allows will include some pics of our next outing next week.

Good effort. I'm afraid I have no words of wisdom. Sounds like with a bit of tweaking you will have a good rabbit killing outfit. How about a dog at the net end to help with the ones that bounce out, do you think that would help or cause mayhem?

a dog at the net end is something to think about! anyone else use one, however not my labrador i think!!!! :good: i can just picture the scene as she picks up the 1st rabbit in the net she comes to and begins to retrieve it NET INCLUDED and as she comes trotting up the field with a longnet trailing in her wake mayhem would not descibe the scene HA HA HA!! thanks for the reply.

Definately sounds like a fun outing nonetheless! Well done, especially making your own hemp net! :lol:

Good to see others in Cheshire (besides Benny & me) are helping keep the rabbit population down to a managable level! :good:

a dog at the net end is something to think about! anyone else use one, however not my labrador i think!!!! :yahoo: i can just picture the scene as she picks up the 1st rabbit in the net she comes to and begins to retrieve it NET INCLUDED and as she comes trotting up the field with a longnet trailing in her wake mayhem would not descibe the scene HA HA HA!! thanks for the reply.

Two Whippets that know what they are doing will increase your catch rate manyfold :good:

LB

Hi all. After much practice dropping the two longnets our first attempt at the real thing went quite well last night. We have a 100yd 4oz nylon net, and my handmade 75yd hemp longnet.

Our first port of call was a cover crop on the outside of a wood. We knew the rabbits come out of the wood into the crops to feed so off i went at dusk to drop the two nets between the cover crops and the wood. I agreed with dead eye duck and our YTS trainee (with springer spaniel to assist with beating through crops) to give me 15 - 20 mins to drop the two nets then begin beating through the cover crops. The drop went well, however the nylon net picked picked up every twig in the area and was a cause for frustration as i was on a time limit, my handmade hemp net was a joy to drop and handle (yes i am biased i spent 7 weeks making the chuffin' thing), when all said and done i had both nets up and ready and myself in position at the agreed time PHEW!

Dead eye duck and YTS trainee began beating through the cover crops, YTS spaniel was superb keeping close to him and working the area very well. It didn't take long before all hell broke loose!! and rabbits started hitting the nets, in my inexperience i had set the nets 15yds from the crops and i noticed that some rabbits had time to slow down before hitting the net and thus didn't become entangled (note to self next time set the net almost up against the crops) also a few bounced out of the net where i hadn't got the nets bagging set quite right (again note to self to be more vigilant next time) However as i scampered up and down the nets killing the rabbits that hit the nets at speed and in the areas i had got the nets bagging right i realised two things 1. jesus i am bloody unfit, 2. what an absolute riot this is!!! As trainee and canine companion got through the last of the crops and i was rapidly approaching a heart attack our first drop was completed WOO HOO!! :yahoo::good:

YTS lasting impression was of of one of my particularly long sprints 120yds or so to catch one of the bunnies in a net where just as i reached for it the bloody thing it untangled itself and escaped, i must admit i did swear at it :good: . Not a huge bag as we gathered the slain but the nylon net accounted for 5 rabbits and the hemp for 3. We should have at least doubled that score perhaps even tripled it but for our first drop where we learned an awful lot i was very pleased indeed. I would have gone just to catch the three in my hemp net!! :yahoo:

We did try another drop that night alas without success with very few rabbits in the area. and as the heavens opened we called a halt and headed for home.

All you experienced longnetters out there please fell free to impart words of wisdom, take the PI** i am fairly sure of the areas i got wrong but would very much appreciate any helpful advice. If the weather allows will include some pics of our next outing next week.

Sounds like a good night and lots of fun. `

Personally I would not bother to change anything you are doing. As you came home with some rabbits and there are still a few left to go for again another night. I do not know if you are using running slack between the pegs. If you are that may cause a few tight spots on the net if the wind is blowing at an angle to the net, as it pushes the meshes along the head line. You can cure that by using tied in meshes say every 2 meters along the net. Also when you lay the net lay the pegs back at an angle so that some of the net is lying on the floor that way when a rabbit hits the back of the net he is standing on the net and gets caught by the feet. You may also like to tail the net, that catches rabbits that run along the net. You can tail the net by putting the last 2 meters of the net @ 90% to the net

l

l

l______________________________________ l

Hope this helps. You can find more info here.

Tiercel

thanks for the replies everyone :good:

Tiercel. yes i am using running slack is there a best method for tieing up the slack? knots, etc, excellent tip regarding tailing the net many thanks!!! had a look at the link you kindly provided and must admit your method of dropping the net looks interesting i.e. dropping and pegging up in one go. will have a go on the practice ground and try to copy it.

Thanks again everyone great to hear from you all and will keep you up to date with our progress.

Excelent....really exiting stuff the old long netting.......We longnet regulalry, and have the hedge nets when we are working hedgrows...................Brillaint in the dead of night when the weather conditions are right :good:

As LB mentioned its a good idea if you have a lurchers woking the net line........Can be difficult to get a good dog mind, as those that are trained to bush and work the rabbits to the net, can sometimes in other hunting sintuations jack on their quarry while coursing... always thinking that a net is going to do the work......when its not there!!

great read matey :yahoo:

taking a dog longnetting is a big no no unless this dog is a very well trained dog the only thing i would do as tiercal said is to tale the nets and tie your bag especially if you are working a end set where the wind will blow your running kill to your pegs where it will all bunch up so the rabbits will keep bouncing off the net until they get to the tale where this acts as a plumper this is where the rabbits will be 2 years ago i set 250 yards of net on a cold windy january this was a reverse plumper the longnetters nightmare however because it was sheltered by a wood it wasnt to bad i taled both ends of the net 15 yards out with the net blowing the wrong way i new there was a good chance of the rabbits running the net i was right we caught over 40 rabbits on this one set and a dozen of these rabbits where caught in the tales.

if you want to know anything and everything about longnetting i would definetley reccomend the book the art of longnetting by harold wyman a very informative book

if you want to know anything and everything about longnetting i would definetley reccomend the book the art of longnetting by harold wyman a very informative book

Spot on Fert :blink: Best book around for learning the basics of longnetting. You can find a copy here

Guest AP1shooter

Looks like you all had a bit of fun and that's what its all about

Bit suprised Don didn't swap with you running up and down the net :D

nice read :good:

thought of getting one myself :yes: pity there,s no pic,s :(

Rob i'm sure the Gent we met on the island could come up with something like that or know a man that has one

:whistling:

Looks like you all had a bit of fun and that's what its all about

Bit suprised Don didn't swap with you running up and down the net :D

nice read :good:

thought of getting one myself :D pity there,s no pic,s :(

Rob i'm sure the Gent we met on the island could come up with something like that or know a man that has one

:whistling:

two words mate bass retard :( :lol::lol:

and a smelly one at that

:yes: