Recycling farce.

Scully

Someone should tell some of these lazy ****s that sometimes, just sometimes you have to go above and beyond when you're at work. I have to and I'm sure all of you do too.

I had a recycle collection (every 2 weeks) refused a good while ago because at the top was a carrier bag full of recyclables, it was refused because it should have been loose, seriously? I appreciate everyone has to operate under rules and some of them do make sense with regards to vehicles being damaged but as far as I'm concerned this was just plain lazy. If it had been me I'd have used the smallest shred of common sense and torn it open.

All that happened was everything recyclable went in the weekly collection bin for the next 2 weeks. Some of these people are just lazy idiots.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What really gets my goat about the my local Council recycling scheme is that it is a complete sham to pretend they have hit their targets.

All the green waste collected by a separate wagon and also collected in a designated skip in the recycling tip all goes into the landfill

The timber, cardboard and glass etc earns them nothing.

This is completely true, if only more people realised!

The recycling scheme is a complete sham, as you say, which councils have to go through to meet EU imposed quotas. The trouble is there is nothing they can do with most of the waste that goes into the recycling bins. What they do manage t0 recyle costs more and incurs huge costs. Most just goes the same way as the rest of the waste.

As long as it passes through a recycling centre it is classed as having be recycled even if it hasn't. Hopefully with Brexit they will be able to stop the deception.

Edited by Vince Green

This year we had to pay on top of everything else a separate payment of around £25 for the bin men to continue to collect our brown garden waste bin...

Apart from that our guys are generally pretty good.

£25? ours is £78 and it is collected with the ordinary bins and goes in the back of the same truck. This has been the subject of much discussion on the local Streetlife website.

We have a list for the recycling bin. Ours says everthing must be loose and not in bags for ease of sorting and safety. Plastic bags are not recyclable on our collection.

We have 3 wheelie bins. One for general rubbish, one for recyclable and one for garden waste. General rubbish gets collected one week and two lorries come alternate weeks to collect recyclable and garden waste.

Garden waste is not collected for a few months over Winter when there is little to collect. No extra charge for garden waste.

If you get too much recyclable you can get an extra recycling bin.

We can take fridges and freezers down the local council amenity tip.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

£25? ours is £78 and it is collected with the ordinary bins and goes in the back of the same truck. This has been the subject of much discussion on the local Streetlife website.

Yes, £25 for the year. After the initial indignation I quickly calmed down realising £25 was still good if it saved me going to the tip every month or so with garden waste.

We live in a larger than average house and, therefore, pay larger then average Council Tax. We used to have 3 garden waste bags collected every two weeks, this has been reduced to one. I can more than fill one bag with grass cuttings every week in midsummer, let alone every fortnight. So, I'm paying more CT then small houses but only having the same amount of waste removed, that doesn't sound like a good deal to me! I have to go to the tip with garden waste so would rather take an extra bag every fortnight and have the green waste collection cost removed from my Council Tax. is that an option? No, of course it isn't. How's this helping the environment, we now have my car as well as a lorry chucking out diesel fumes on their way to the tip.

Bottles! We have to take ours to the bottle bank (usually overflowing) and sort by colour. The pub down the road has theirs collected and all colours go into the same bin/lorry. I happen to know that commercial glass handling/recycling plants cans sort even small pieces of glass by colour automatically.

Why, oh why, do no two councils have the same regulations regarding waste & recycling?

And now they've decided to close tips on Thursdays, reduce hours the rest of the week and charge for accepting domestic certain rubbish. And they'll genuinely wonder why fly tipping increases dramatically, you couldn't make it up!

Dont have a recycling bin never been left one and to be honest if I wanted to sort rubbish I would get a job at a plant!!
All mine goes in the one bin and what burns gets burnt!!
Years ago the bin men collected your bin from the back garden walked it to the cart emptied and returned it and all with a smile and good manners.

Now you have to have the right sort of rubbish in the bin, lid shut, wheel it to the roadside, make sure its not too heavy, have it facing the right way *** how long before they drive down your street ringing a bell so you take it to the cart and empty it yourself!!!

Rant over

After around 5 years of having our brown garden bin emptied once a fortnight as part of the existing collection system (but only during the gardening season). A £25 p.a. charge was introduced, councils being forced to economise again I suppose. So now I put my garden rubbish into plastic bags and take them to the cemetery next door where they have lots of wheely yard type skips for old flowers, wreaths etc. Tip the bags into the skips job done, and I'm not the only one doing this.

Some of you may think this is not on but I object to having to pay for something that was previously covered by the council tax and it is no additional cost to the council Next we'll have to pay to borrow library books, CPSO's, street lighting will be turned off after midnight (oh isn't it already being done somewhere).

After around 5 years of having our brown garden bin emptied once a fortnight as part of the existing collection system (but only during the gardening season). A £25 p.a. charge was introduced, councils being forced to economise again I suppose. So now I put my garden rubbish into plastic bags and take them to the cemetery next door where they have lots of wheely yard type skips for old flowers, wreaths etc. Tip the bags into the skips job done, and I'm not the only one doing this.

Some of you may think this is not on but I object to having to pay for something that was previously covered by the council tax and it is no additional cost to the council Next we'll have to pay to borrow library books, CPSO's, street lighting will be turned off after midnight (oh isn't it already being done somewhere).

Our Council introduced a £39:00 cost for the garden waste that now goes in to the landfill bin!

How is it that at work We have a wheely bin that is a commercial pick up into the back of a lorry. Everything goes into the bin and the driver said that It all goes into landfill. And when we used to have a BIG 7 yard skip everything went into it and it used to go somewhere up near Redhill. How is it that they recon that there is no money in domestic waste? The companies are being given tens of thousands of tons of reasonably sorted raw materials. If there was no money in it No company would do it. You've only got to go to the local council domestic tip on a weekend to see how much is going in.and why no vans or traders? It's all waste. It's just a racket, no wonder that there is so much fly tipping.

Our local refuse station allows vans and small commercial vehicles in one day a week, sunday I think.

our local recycling centre used to take household building rubble free of charge, now they have started charging £3 a bag, we have already had building waste dumped at the end of our road. we are doing a bit of building work which will require a small skip, the last one we had a few years ago cost £80 i would imagine it will be treble that now!

Just this year had a Brown bin delivered,Cost £47.00 per year.

Beats the hell out of all the trips to the Tip..

Have seen them tip the kitchen waste into the main bin,(The Small one)..

Yeh right..

Many years ago where I was living they wouldn't take a small bag of rubbish at the side of the bin,?,

So,, I went out and threw it in myself,,He came down and said ,,You cannot do that,,?,

To which I replied it wasn't HIS TRUCK,it belonged to the council, who it was bought with money from the rates,, told me to remove it,!!. Needless to say I told him to remove it as it was by now crushed with the rest of all the rubbish,,He really ********* me off that day..

Just this am they`ve refused to empty my 87yo, dementia suffering, mother`s because it had polystyrene placed in it by an unknown 3rd party after it was put out !

Very helpful !!!!!

These buffoons see everything from their elevated ivory towers and couldn`t give a monkey`s about the problems they cause for people .

Because it was quite big, I drove the pick-up to Bristol in order to transfer this large wardrobe to the City recycling centre. You can't bring that in here I was told. I explained it was my personal car and the wardrobe was from a resident's house. It made no difference. OK, rules is rules. So drove to the Portishead version to where my step-son had moved and was met with open arms - "need a hand, mate?" While son and I were off loading it, the chap came back with the type of pass for him as detailed above. Yep, rules is rules, but why the hell can't we all have the same ones? :ninja:

Edited by wymberley

Look at the cost of cleaning up after fly tipping, a ridiculous amount that I could not imagine.

Then look at the cost of common sense these days,

Oh ! How silly of me common sense is just priceless these days.

Bins open by a knats winky, "Ooo sorry Mr, can't take that"

Genuine question.

I assumed that the stuff that I put into my blue recycling bin goes to be recycled. If the lid is open then it won't be collected because there's too much stuff in it to be recyycled but the council don't collect it because they want to encourage recycling, mmmm, how does that work? ???? ????

When these bins came in and we received a black bin for landfill and a green for recycling I enquired as to the possibility of a larger green bin.

The email that came back said that households with more than 4 people could have a larger black bin but no provision was made for a larger green one.

I then asked what the councils position was with regard to promoting recycling as their decision was a little short sighted to say the least!

I can see the logic in not going onto people's drives to pick up bins if as Mel says, some residents claim their vehicle has been scratched as a result. Makes sense to me, even when there is no car present, as a precedent has then been set. Fair enough.

As for mates wife possibly being prosecuted for fly tipping for piling her rubbish with neighbours rubbish; on our side of town there is a street with tight access and all the residents subsequently pile their bags in a heap at the end of the road for the benefit of the driver. The 'more than three bag' policy doesn't seem to apply here and there must be in access of twenty bags piled up each Monday morning.

Edited by Scully

ill do my best to reply to as many of the posts as i can guys , im no expert in all matters of waste disposal , but i probably have more idea than most of the way it all works , what may seem like a piddly little matter to you , can cause a massive headache and massive cost to council tax payers(you) further down the line .

most of the guys that collect your waste arent idiots , some of them will be but most of them are just regular guys trying to pay their way in life , some of them may seem a little off at times , but , they may well have already been abused several times that day (ive been abused/threatened so many times that i dont really hear it any more , it just becomes background noise in the end).

i strongly believe that education is the answer when it comes to recycled waste , most of the public are totally ignorant to what happens to their waste ( as is clearly evident from some of the posts already made) , ill always do my best to assist any decent respectful member of the public , if you abuse me ill just walk away and tell them nothing and they stay ignorant.

a quick example , no bull just simple truth here .

several times over the years , ive been collecting green waste and seen older people struggling with hedge cutting , grass cutting etc , its been near to break time so weve had our break outside the persons house , weve used our half hour break to do a super quick garden clean up . cut grass and hedges and remove cuttings etc , its not something that happens every day , but me and my crew , and several other crews have done it .

we also regularly retrieve bins from back gardens , or carry them through houses , and i even carried one from a bedroom about ten years ago(dont ask because i couldnt understand either). try being nice to your binmen , youd be amazed just how nice they will be to you in return.

ill also put a couple of pics on from work today , it might help things to make more sense and help the angry people to feel less angry about the situation.

please dont shoot the messenger , and for the record.

IVE NEVER SAID " COR BLIMEY GUVNOR , ITS MORE N ME JOBSWORF " , AND I DONT WEAR COR BLIMEY TROUSERS AND LIVE IN A COUNCIL FLAT !.