How well are Caesar Guerinis wearing?

Cumbrian

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guerini was an investment I hoped would last a lifetime, it's developed a rattle in the butt stock, something is loose, the side plate is corroding from the joint suggesting crevice corrosion there is a tiny gap in the side plate joint and something is rattling about inside the solid rib!

When I asked guerini about it at he shooting show they accused me of neglecting it causing the corrosion, before even asking how I looked after it or seeing the gun and told me the butt stock wasn't rattling it was the for end. I was deeply offended as I have looked after a 1937 browning A5 for quite sometime with no corrosion. I am very particular about looking after my guns as part of my job it to inspect corrosion for a living. To say this without seeing my gun is simply offensive.

It was suggested by Anglo Italian i buy a browning!

Now I don't know allot about customer services but to offer another brand as the answer to a problem with your own tells me allot about how they deal with customer issues, they'd rather brush it off than deal with it!

Funnily the same day my friend took his broken cynergy to the browning stand, they guys were all over it trying to fix it, offering him advice, the difference was night and day.

I actually don't like taking that maxam out at all now as its a good looking Gun folk admire it but I'm not supporting a brand that won't support me. It was an investment for me financially I fell really let down and disappointed with the full sorry state of affairs. When I have a it more cash maybe I can get on the browning ladder!

I believe you've posted this before and it's the only seriously negative comment I've ever heard about Anglo Italian service and customer care and it's probably the only positive comment I've ever heard about Browning service. As already said, there's a simple adjustment to take up slack in the forend (Anson style) release button which may rattle if too loose.

You might also want to do a search on corrosion and problems with the finish on Browning725s, both Black and standard or the still unresolved 40+ years of firing pin problems on Browning/Mirokus. Alternatively have a search on Perazzi ribs coming loose or Beretta SV10/690/692 ejectors.

When you've done all that do search on recurring problems with CGs... Be prepared for a long and fruitless mission.

Edited by Westward

Could you explain that bit please?

Back bored barrels are larger than normal. Fibre wads don't expand enough to provide a perfect seal. Plastic wads do.

Hence - back bored barrels work better with plastic wads.

Gordon R has explained it better and more succinctly than I could have done.

Whether there really is a problem with fibre wads and back-bored barrels, I am not expert enough to say. But, one of the benefits of back boring frequently touted (by **********, for example) is that it reduces felt recoil, which presumably results from the gases having a bit more room in which to expand. That does place a premium on a tight fitting wad, and plastic must be more elastic than fibre. I also think I have read that Beretta still offer a traditional, tight bore for their game guns i.e. ones that will probably use fibre wads - but maybe I have got that wrong?

On balance, other things being equal, I think I'd prefer a traditional bore diameter, even if the differences are not that great or absolutely certain. But I am still tempted by a Guerini.

I really don't know why the name of a well-known writer on guns and shooting was automatically deleted from my post of a minute or two ago. There was nothing offensive, let alone libellous in what I wrote about the individual. Let's see if his initials also get the same treatment: MY.

I really don't know why the name of a well-known writer on guns and shooting was automatically deleted from my post of a minute or two ago. There was nothing offensive, let alone libellous in what I wrote about the individual. Let's see if his initials also get the same treatment: MY.

Bit of a childish thing I think. I mean, he's dislikable etc but preventing mentioning a name, I hadn't seen that since my first BBS in 1988. Anyway.

I'm also tempted by a guerini. I agree that the above bad report is the only one I've seen (not that it isn't important either!) but I've also read /countless/ things on other makers, so I don't think one can escape a friday gun, regardless of the amount of money you throw at it.

Edited by buze

Been shooting CG now for 3 years. On my second one, only changes as I wanted the Ascebt rib. "Never" had any issues with either.

I shoot 3 to 4 times a month, only clays, current gun is a 2014 gun, had 3000 through it since I've owned it, don't know what it had before.

Still tight.

Ask me again in another 3 years.

Great guns for the money imo

Why pay 5k plus for a EELL when you can have a side plated CG which is built better and handles better IMO for just over 3k.

because imo the balance is better, not handled any CG that feels as lively as my 28" EELL classic's,

I also have Browning 725 black edition, which compared to the CG for build quality, dosnt come close.

had been thinking about a CG, but do not think they feel/handle as good as my 32" 725 black, just feel like a lump in direct comparison side by side

What exactly is this handling ? I mean you can tell in a car going round a corner feathering the throttle or having to hold back as the centre mass tries to lean the thing off onto its side a la 4x4 carriage.

But when it comes to guns, what is it ? All guns can be balanced to within a whisker of one another and all things being equal are gonna feel the same in a blind test, the only way you could tell them apart is if you can detect the shape of the grip etc,. :lol:

I did say imo, looked at a lot of EELL's before I bought, all were dismissed as the they didn't 'feel' nice, where I eventually bought from, I had looked at quite a few that day, just happened to pick one up and it felt right, passed it to my pal said what do you think of that, he agreed, so haggled and bought, handled plenty since that do not feel right, 'to me'

I read reams of posts about the drop in quality of the big 2 and so looked for alternatives. Spent 3 months trolling around gun shops and web sites. Bought a 2nd hand CG Summit Impact that will still be in guarantee in 2014.

To say Im happy doesnt come close.

had been thinking about a CG, but do not think they feel/handle as good as my 32" 725 black, just feel like a lump in direct comparison side by side

CGs are bigger and heavier. I have the feeling they modelled them for shape, dimensions and weight distribution on the Perazzi MX2000S. Some people such as myself find the 725 to be too slim and light for serious sporting clays. Like the EELLs it's about right as a game gun though.

Spot on B25 B25

proper handmade gun that are built to last.

got a lovely 30" game versions 3" chambers, HP steel proofed absolutely ideal

cost £6500 secondhand and was only a couple of years old with leather case

no brainer really

also got a MK60 high pheasant that I love but it wont get used much now by B25 is back

Well, my first and only gun so far is a B25 B2C from 1975. It's terrific, but it's 1) fixed chokes and 2) isn't chromed/steel compatible (full + extra full choked)...

Mind you, I tried a MX8 and a DT10 over the week end and got back to the B25 with a sight a relief. Only thing I /really/ miss is a palm swell on my B25.

Regarding the well Known shooter he has threatened this forum and another one with legal action on more than one occasion over anything he doesn’t like regardless of it being libellous or not. Seeing as the mods are not 24/7 they won’t take the risk of a post slipping through as he does and will go to court over the most trivial of things. So his name is in the swear filter, if you cannot type his name he cannot be defamed and it stops solicitors or legal action dead in its tracks. Don’t take it personally, I actually remember when his name first appeared in the swear filter and the thread that caused it.

Regarding the CG mine had to have the forend tightened up, a 2 second job which can be done under warranty if you don’t fancy doing it yourself.

The person mentioned is in the same boat as the Mods. He nor they are looking at posts 24/7. If you are famous, you get stick - whether it is justified or not. That is the internet for you.

Given some of the stuff I have seen over the years, I believe he has made the right decision. Some people guard their reputation zealously. It take years to build up a decent reputation and it can be lost in the seconds it takes for a keyboard warrior to get silly.

Well, my first and only gun so far is a B25 B2C from 1975. It's terrific, but it's 1) fixed chokes and 2) isn't chromed/steel compatible (full + extra full choked)...

Mind you, I tried a MX8 and a DT10 over the week end and got back to the B25 with a sight a relief. Only thing I /really/ miss is a palm swell on my B25.

You can still shoot standard steel cartridge through it with no worries I believe such as Gamebore Supersteel 32 gram 4s & 3s

Regarding the well Known shooter he has threatened this forum and another one with legal action on more than one occasion over anything he doesn’t like regardless of it being libellous or not. Seeing as the mods are not 24/7 they won’t take the risk of a post slipping through as he does and will go to court over the most trivial of things. So his name is in the swear filter, if you cannot type his name he cannot be defamed and it stops solicitors or legal action dead in its tracks. Don’t take it personally, I actually remember when his name first appeared in the swear filter and the thread that caused it.

Regarding the CG mine had to have the forend tightened up, a 2 second job which can be done under warranty if you don’t fancy doing it yourself.

That is very interesting. I had not heard of his propensity for such things. Goes down in my estimation. Hope that is sufficiently elliptical to avoid censoring for me or trouble for this excellent forum and site.