How well are Caesar Guerinis wearing?

Cumbrian

I think CG owners feel like they have to be more vocal due to the fact CG are a relatively new brand.

As a owner of 4 Berretas of varying ages I don't feel I have to defend them to the hilt as hundreds of years of solid build quality speaks for itself. Same with browning and miroku which have stood the test of time.

I can't say much about Cesar guerinis as I have only used one once and despite being a lovely gun the owner sold it fairly quickly to return to a browning for reasons unknown to me.

It's getting a bit tedious now as it seems as if there has to be a best manufacturer and not several quality brands. I bought 2 beretta 690 fields and people have said they are rubbish and will not be reliable. Well they have been perfect so far for my dad and myself!

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go and buy it you won't be disappointed, I recently bought the eclipse evo game version and absolutely love it, I use it for everything, I had the maxum before this but wanted something to walk around with, the build quality is excellent as I have come to expect from CG, the only dealings I have had to have with Anglo have been good although I only wanted another set of barrells for the maxum as it was the 34" version, but bought the evo secondhand instead, hopefully I won't need to contact them but with 7 years left of the warranty I would have no hesitation as I have heard very few negative comments regarding there customer service.

I know 4 regular competitors in registered sporting who use EVOs, one of whom has shot a massive volume of clays in the 2 or 3 years he's had it. Chatting generally about guns and stuff with these guys they all seem happy with their choice. Also Richard Faulds used one for a couple of years at least before moving to an Invictus 5 earlier this year.

The Eclpse EVO has a slightly wider action body and I believe the barrels are not interchangeable with the other non-Invictus guns but otherwise it's the same mechanically.

It's true that CG owners tend to leap to defend their choice but then there have always been those who consider CGs to be trashy, blinged up budget guns without ever tried one or even looked closely at one.

Each to his own and lovers of Browning, Miroku or Beretta have their own particular warm feelings toward their choice but CGs are a very strong contender in the mid price bracket, especially for sporting clays, and like most CG owners I'm very happy with my choice which happens to be a Challenger.

As a well known American gun writer said about the Challenger: "It's all the gun you'll ever need".

i know of four guerini guns just at my local club that have had problems,three of them new guns. Two new guns with rusting barrels after first few outings,another new gun where the forend would not go back on the gun and a KDUBYA former member here his gun developed a fault it wass sent back by the dealer just out of warranty and he was asked who had been inside the gun when he replied no one, they replaced parts and sent back. All the faults were sorted quickly and to a high standard. Poor metal hardness has been the problem they have suffered, now the new Invictus Accent |Summit has new trigger sears with a hard chrome coating to reduce the wear issues.

Not a perfect gun by any means but they do seem good value for money compared to the competition.

Poor metal hardness has been the problem they have suffered, now the new Invictus Accent |Summit has new trigger sears with a hard chrome coating to reduce the wear issues.

Now that is getting precise and specific. Reminds me of what was allegedly the main problem with a lot of cheap Spanish guns back in the 1960s and perhaps later - soft metal on wearing surfaces. I'm surprised, however, to learn that it is a recurrent problem now. Maybe Guerini had a bad batch of metal from their suppliers or maybe they have sorted it out themselves. There are obviously many satisfied users out there. Also I keep thinking that Guerini's guarantee is remarkably good in principle and apparently in practice.

Now that is getting precise and specific. Reminds me of what was allegedly the main problem with a lot of cheap Spanish guns back in the 1960s and perhaps later - soft metal on wearing surfaces. I'm surprised, however, to learn that it is a recurrent problem now. Maybe Guerini had a bad batch of metal from their suppliers or maybe they have sorted it out themselves. There are obviously many satisfied users out there. Also I keep thinking that Guerini's guarantee is remarkably good in principle and apparently in practice.

Browning got it right 100 years ago ???

I have owned a fair number of Brownings, but they had a reputation for rusty chambers and barrels prior to them being chrome lined.

Fine guns, but they have had their critics. Similarly Beretta. The wood to metal fit used to be awful. You could stick a small screwdriver in the gap between stock and receiver.

Bought my Maxum second hand but probably only 100 cartridges through it, it was mint. After around 3000 cartridges it went 'floppy' from half to fully open. Still tight when closed but the last 50% of travel when opening was floppy.

Spoke to Kevin of Anglo Italian at the Northern shooting show who took it back to tighten it (they fitted a new widget in the forend). Was ok for 500 cartridges then same problem. Took it back, they apologised profusely as they hadn't locktighted the screw. I was given a CG skeet vest, kit bag and promised a new gunslip (hasn't materialised yet) for my trouble. 500 cartridges later same problem. Took it back again (4 hour round trip) and it went to the gunsmith. Got it back over a week later (they forgot to send it back!!) and has been perfect since (I suspect the trunnels were changed but don't know).

Just bought a DT10 and am selling the Maxum but am in two minds whether to resell the DT10 as I can't fault the CG as a shooting tool. I'll see how it goes with the Beretta when I get it back from Jason at JWS.

Still 7 years warranty on the gun, customer service great until Mike 'forgets' to do stuff. Just about to send an fb reminder about the gratis gunslip he's 'forgotten'!!

I have owned a fair number of Brownings, but they had a reputation for rusty chambers and barrels prior to them being chrome lined.

Fine guns, but they have had their critics. Similarly Beretta. The wood to metal fit used to be awful. You could stick a small screwdriver in the gap between stock and receiver.

Never had any of that on my 4 B25's

Never had any of that on my 4 B25's

Had an interesting discussion with the nice chap at E.J Churchill gun room. I told him i was on the market for a new gun, not necessarily a clay machine, but a nice looking gun with a bit of versatility wih about £4k to burn. He asked me what I was shooting (B25 B2c) and he told me that for that sort of money, anything 'new' would be like going backward. The B25 is a bit of a 'classy Mercedes' and buying something like new Browning would be like buying a new Mondeo.

So basically the guy told me to stick to what I have, or buy another of these! He (rather obviously) wouldn't hear anything about CG.

Had an interesting discussion with the nice chap at E.J Churchill gun room. I told him i was on the market for a new gun, not necessarily a clay machine, but a nice looking gun with a bit of versatility wih about £4k to burn. He asked me what I was shooting (B25 B2c) and he told me that for that sort of money, anything 'new' would be like going backward. The B25 is a bit of a 'classy Mercedes' and buying something like new Browning would be like buying a new Mondeo.

So basically the guy told me to stick to what I have, or buy another of these! He (rather obviously) wouldn't hear anything about CG.

The problem I see with a lot of B25's is that they have had,

1. Stock alterations (mostly lengthened by adding wood). In doing so the wood has been flattened thus negating having an original butt plate put back on.

2. Fixed choke modifications which is not necessarily a bad thing because they are rather tight anyway.

3. Mobile chokes added.

The latter seems to generate mixed feelings because the B25 barrels are flattened where they touch at the muzzle thus producing a thinner wall in that area.

It's the 21st Century and guns - along with everything else - have changed, but some people live in the past and lots of them seem to work in the gun trade. Quite why anyone in a shop would try to persuade you not to buy something is astonishing.

You'll get more realistic response from Ian Coley's shop near Cheltenham. At least they don't let gun snobbery get in the way of a sale.

If we talk B25 B2G, the lowest of the custom models, you will not find a new, unused, one in any UK gunshop. Those days are gone and when they were here only a handful of dealers had them. Current guns, with a start price of £14,000 and a 12/24 month wait, are made to suit the buyer so must be ordered. I think a trip (or two) to Belgium is also involved.

Awareness is therefore a key part. Walk into most gunshops and you find the mass produced guns by Browning and Beretta and some will have the odd Perazzi or other Italian models.

So many shooters will never see or handle a true B25...if they did they just might decide the cost was worth it.

I have no axes to grind, I have held other makes of gun but when holding any of my B25's, be it the A1 or the B5.3 (all with original factory physical measurements spec) I think my god these are bloody lovely well balanced guns.

I do take mine out but now rotate them because I have a current penchant for semi-auto's...which may pass.

Edited by B25Modelman

B25Modelman - I have actually shot with one - albeit only a few shots. It was extremely - and I mean extremely - well put together. It was also very well balanced. The forend mechanism is almost a work of art.

Nice guns to look at and, no doubt, a pleasure to own.

Guerinis are in a different market place. I was unaware of the problems that some have had with them. I owned one and it was well put together. The machining - with the stock removed - was at least as good as Browning / Miroku and Beretta.

If price wasn't a factor, I know I would have a B25 Browning stuck in the cabinet. :good:

Edited by Gordon R

I still don't really understand, there are plenty of people who throw £15k if not more at a K or P gun, K's start at £10 effectively, so why are there not at least some people who would order and use brand new B25's ?

I think it's to do with the dated spec and the reality that more modern designs have true re-buildability.

My CG has out lasted the last Beretta's I have owned and not had to be repaired or replaced because of very poor quality that comes out of the Beretta factory. Sold my Beretta's for Browning's in 32" flavor. Looking back should of got the CG in 32", but at the time was used to 30" barrels.

The one down side at the moment my CG is a heavy weight gun compared to the Browning's great for soaking up recoil, but a bit heavy on me with a duff back, won't be selling the CG as it is a superb gun, and once my back is sorted will be in use again.

My CG has out lasted the last Beretta's I have owned and not had to be repaired or replaced because of very poor quality that comes out of the Beretta factory.

These sort of comments really annoy me as I know of atleast a dozen people in our syndicate with relatively new berettas who have had no problems. Obviously you expect a gun to work so they don't mention it.

Then you get someone coming on here that has had a problem and takes it upon themselves to declare a factories efforts as "very poor".

I don't have figures but I would imagine that berreta produce a lot more guns than Caesar guerini so therefore I would presume there may well be more problem guns.

I guess the best way to do things is to try things yourself and take time to make an educated choice on clear unbiased facts.