How well are Caesar Guerinis wearing?

Cumbrian

I beg to differ. This is internet age, and gathering opinions is very valuable. The 'unbiased facts' don't exist; you just have your own experience, and it's bound to be biased anyway.

So threads like that ARE useful; what you see is that one person reported a bad gun, some persons reported indirect experience of that shooting ground replacing their CG's with something else (ie, very likely bribe/sponsorship involved) and quite a few others reported being delighted with theirs...

We haven't seen someone reporting a string of bad guns, or bad service from the importer...

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My CG has out lasted the last Beretta's I have owned and not had to be repaired or replaced because of very poor quality that comes out of the Beretta factory. Sold my Beretta's for Browning's in 32" flavor. Looking back should of got the CG in 32", but at the time was used to 30" barrels.

The one down side at the moment my CG is a heavy weight gun compared to the Browning's great for soaking up recoil, but a bit heavy on me with a duff back, won't be selling the CG as it is a superb gun, and once my back is sorted will be in use again.

Are you saying that a cg that you are not using has outlasted other guns that you did use.strange that.i have beretta's in my cabinet going back over fifty years up to current models and have no problems with any of them I can only think you have been very unlucky or careless in your treatment of them if you have worn them out.i do not know what models people are finding so poor and unusable I have a 687eell that is just over ten years old and has shot over 200thousand cartridges in that time never serviced never failed.still tight on the face.but as a modern gun I will await it's poor quality that people speak of to show

I'll take an SO5 over a B25 every time...

Must admit I have looked at quite a few b25 and must say I was disappointed with the wood and on some older ones the engraving was poor and the action looked very tired.no doubt they are good guns but just looked wrong to me.i have looked at a few cg but again second hand ones I have looked at have been very tired and shabby looking.some I looked at were only a couple of years old but we're quite loose on opening.cant pass an opinion on using one as I never have.

A lot of people had a lot of problems with the first couple of batches of 692s. That's well documented here, there and everywhere. Beretta obviously had a huge failure in their quality management for a while and it seems to have coincided with them bringing everything in house and ceasing outsourcing of any parts.

Things seem to have quietened down over the last couple of years but the 692/690 ejector issues still haven't been sorted.

Speaking for myself, having owned an SV10 built in 2011, I wouldn't buy any factory built Beretta produced between 2010 and 2015.

Beretta are literally the oldest company in the world, they prolly make more guns in a day than most makes do in a year. The reason they're having reputation problems right now is twofold, 1) they have allowed their customer service standards to drop (hence turning potentially happy customers into moaning Meldrews) 2) they have no superstar sponsored shooters who are social media savvy (unlike P and K guns)

John Lee is using a 690 to cane everyone right now so even the modern ones can't be that bad.

Are you saying that a cg that you are not using has outlasted other guns that you did use.strange that.i have beretta's in my cabinet going back over fifty years up to current models and have no problems with any of them I can only think you have been very unlucky or careless in your treatment of them if you have worn them out.i do not know what models people are finding so poor and unusable I have a 687eell that is just over ten years old and has shot over 200thousand cartridges in that time never serviced never failed.still tight on the face.but as a modern gun I will await it's poor quality that people speak of to show

There's nothing wrong with the older Beretta's in fact they are very well made, its the modern guns which are rubbish quality.

Before I gave up with Beretta's amongst other Beretta's I had 2 SP 1's both needed TLC to the stocks an the fore ends before one could take them out in case a rain drop hit the wood, a well known problem with them as most had only had a sniff of stock oil before leaving the factory after giving the wood work several coats of stock oil they were good guns. Next the SV10 repaired twice with the same fault the ejectors sticking gun always cleaned after every use, another well known fault of the SV10, Next the biggest heaps of rubbish to come out of the Beretta factory I had 2 692's, the first was made a twanging noise and then refused to lock shut. This was replaced by GMK which they checked over to make sure it was ok, it broke within a couple of weeks with the top lever jamming. Between the two 692's they had shot less than 500 cartridges.

A friend had a 692 as well, he pulled the trigger on a stand and the stock bolt sheared and was left with the gun in two pieces.

My CG has fired far more cartridges than the Beretta's put together.

These sort of comments really annoy me as I know of atleast a dozen people in our syndicate with relatively new berettas who have had no problems. Obviously you expect a gun to work so they don't mention it.

Then you get someone coming on here that has had a problem and takes it upon themselves to declare a factories efforts as "very poor".

I don't have figures but I would imagine that berreta produce a lot more guns than Caesar guerini so therefore I would presume there may well be more problem guns.

I guess the best way to do things is to try things yourself and take time to make an educated choice on clear unbiased facts.

Well if Beretta put the quality back into their guns, there would be no complaints of their guns being rubbish. Their older guns were brilliant, but their newer range have far to many problems and complaints which are well documented on various forums.

Well if Beretta put the quality back into their guns, there would be no complaints of their guns being rubbish. Their older guns were brilliant, but their newer range have far to many problems and complaints which are well documented on various forums.

well i suppose with the factory turning out so much rubbish as you say and it being so well documented on a couple of forums by a few i would say its no surprise the company has gone into liquidation,oh but wait no they have increased their production and still have the lions share by far of the worlds gun market,now does that really sound like a company producing rubbish products,a true test is how many use the product count them at the next shoot you are on they probably outnumber the others by at least five to one.another sign of failure.look at the top shots of the world we have the olympics at the moment where most are using beretta and cleaning up on the medals i might add,another sign of a unreliable gun.i am afraid what a lot of this is comes down to an old very british thing that we crave success but when it is achieved we love nothing more than to knock it.the facts speak for themselves and a few negative comments on a couple of forums just do not stack up.

Anyway, back to CG! Apparently there's a new Invictus V with side plate -- anyone know the list price of these? Apparently this gun was designed for durability -- comes wiht a lifetime guarantee. Anyone has one?

Not so much durability but, like other dedicated clay guns, easy replaceability of commonly worn parts.

IIRC standard Invictus around £3700.

Edited by Glenlivet

well i suppose with the factory turning out so much rubbish as you say and it being so well documented on a couple of forums by a few i would say its no surprise the company has gone into liquidation,oh but wait no they have increased their production and still have the lions share by far of the worlds gun market,now does that really sound like a company producing rubbish products,a true test is how many use the product count them at the next shoot you are on they probably outnumber the others by at least five to one.another sign of failure.look at the top shots of the world we have the olympics at the moment where most are using beretta and cleaning up on the medals i might add,another sign of a unreliable gun.i am afraid what a lot of this is comes down to an old very british thing that we crave success but when it is achieved we love nothing more than to knock it.the facts speak for themselves and a few negative comments on a couple of forums just do not stack up.

I wouldnt think the guns you see at the Olympics are your standard factory guns there most seem to have special stocks and they use them because they get very lucrative sponsorships as well Edited by postie

I wouldnt think the guns you see at the Olympics are your standard factory guns there most seem to have special stocks and they use them because they get very lucrative sponsorships as well

I know a few sponsored shooters.all makes and apart from precision stocks or the gun is fitted to them they are standard factory.

We all have our preferences and prejudices, but I've learned from the many gun forums that there's quite simply no such thing as a 'one fits all' gun, or a brand or model without some issue or another - or X better than Y because of this or that.

Guns and backup support also vary by brand as much as retailer regardless of brand, and our treasured gunsmiths are just as likely as anyone else to have prejudices for any number of reasons.

My good lady recently bought a Maxum and could not be more delighted with her purchase. She fell in love with it the moment she held it, and bought the gun new from a respected gunmaker that we've known for quite some time, so the relatively unlikely event of an issue will quickly be sorted one way or another. If buying second-hand, one should also consider how the gun may or may not have been cared for (I've seen and heard some real horror stories), but they all deserve and require proper care and respect - regardless of brand/model/spec/whatever, and just as likely to require corrective maintenance for any one of a hundred reasons.

There's no simple answer to any of this, other that to make your own judgements and preferences based on your own research and budget, seek out informed advice but don't be overly swayed by individual prejudices, establish what works best for you, and just go with it.

That's probably about as much as anyone can say on the subject.

We all have our preferences and prejudices, but I've learned from the many gun forums that there's quite simply no such thing as a 'one fits all' gun, or a brand or model without some issue or another - or X better than Y because of this or that.

Guns and backup support also vary by brand as much as retailer regardless of brand, and our treasured gunsmiths are just as likely as anyone else to have prejudices for any number of reasons.

My good lady recently bought a Maxum and could not be more delighted with her purchase. She fell in love with it the moment she held it, and bought the gun new from a respected gunmaker that we've known for quite some time, so the relatively unlikely event of an issue will quickly be sorted one way or another. If buying second-hand, one should also consider how the gun may or may not have been cared for (I've seen and heard some real horror stories), but they all deserve and require proper care and respect - regardless of brand/model/spec/whatever, and just as likely to require corrective maintenance for any one of a hundred reasons.

There's no simple answer to any of this, other that to make your own judgements and preferences based on your own research and budget, seek out informed advice but don't be overly swayed by individual prejudices, establish what works best for you, and just go with it.

That's probably about as much as anyone can say on the subject.

Well said, common sense.

Anyway, back to CG! Apparently there's a new Invictus V with side plate -- anyone know the list price of these? Apparently this gun was designed for durability -- comes wiht a lifetime guarantee. Anyone has one?

CG claim it's capable of a million rounds. They've made the wear parts more easily replaceable particularly the recoil lugs. These are the steel lugs in the barrel monobloc, below the chambers, which locate in machined recesses in the action floor. Browning/Miroku use a similar system except that the lugs pass right through openings in the action floor and you can see them on the underside of the action. On the Invictus family, the section of the action floor that inludes the recesses is replaceable.

I know a few sponsored shooters.all makes and apart from precision stocks or the gun is fitted to them they are standard factory.

i stand corrected.i don't know any sponsored shooters I just assumed they would have superior equipment .

Question for the CG users out there.

Are they ok with steel shot?

I only ask as I shoot steel all the time &

Looking on the CG website, the information for

the Apex says 'steel - on request'

What does that mean?

Mine isnt proofed for steel. Pretty sure it means if you ask for it to be steel proofed when ordering.

Anyone using an Ellipse 20g ? They have a nice line to them !

I have a 20g CG Ellipse Ltd, which being an earlier model, does not have the barrel selector built into the safety catch.

Also, the finish, whilst referring to a colour hardened finish, is a lacquer finish and is susceptable to scratching. CG however do not state that it's colour case hardened and refer to some type of finish as a trade mark finish, so there is no intention to deceive. Just something to look out for if considering one.

Having said all that, they are a pleasure to shoot and handle extremely well with good lines.

OB

Thanks,thats exactly the model that caught my eye ! Non selectable isn`t a problem for me.How quickly does the action finish show wear from normal use?

I had a McNab Highlander which had a `colour hardened` action which may have been a similar finish.It didn`t show signs of wear after a fair bit of use.

How does the Ellipse handle recoil ? It looks very sleek and lightweight but I haven`t seen a weight quoted .

Thanks for the info so far !

Thanks,thats exactly the model that caught my eye ! Non selectable isn`t a problem for me.How quickly does the action finish show wear from normal use?

I had a McNab Highlander which had a `colour hardened` action which may have been a similar finish.It didn`t show signs of wear after a fair bit of use.

How does the Ellipse handle recoil ? It looks very sleek and lightweight but I haven`t seen a weight quoted .

Thanks for the info so far !

Normal use shouldn`t be a problem, but I had some dried blood on mine which I wrongly tried to remove with a kitchen scourer which took a bit of the finish off.

Handles recoil really well to the point that I use 28g RC Sipes for pigeons and don`t notice any untoward recoil. Weighs 63/4 lbs but feels lighter in the hand and to shoot. Cannot fault it, and as you say being non selectable isn`t a problem to me either. I tend to stick with IC in the bottom barrel and 1/4 in the top. Works well for me and I shoot as well (for me anyway) as any other gun I own.

Hope that this helps.

OB