Reducing shooting kit

Gunnut

Thanks for the advice lad's about reducing pigeon shooting kit, your a lovely bunch, spent most of this week buried in the garage looking for a solution to the problem, removed a fair amount of kit and have now whittled it down to a reasonable weight. Taking an old wooden chair which I can leave over the farm, so no revolving stool to take, also the poles can be left behind so that's another saving, just ordered 6 FUD collapsible crow decoys, and a dozen woodpigeon shells,so that should save a bit of room. Also had a post from HAWKFANZ concerning changing from a 12G to a 20G has anyone shot both and would it be viable to change down to a lighter gun. At the moment I am using a Beretta Teckneys Auto and a Nikko Shadow O/U, The guns are mostly used on crows and would the 20G be up too the job, any advice would be great. Thanks.

Thanks for the advice lad's about reducing pigeon shooting kit, your a lovely bunch, spent most of this week buried in the garage looking for a solution to the problem, removed a fair amount of kit and have now whittled it down to a reasonable weight. Taking an old wooden chair which I can leave over the farm, so no revolving stool to take, also the poles can be left behind so that's another saving, just ordered 6 FUD collapsible crow decoys, and a dozen woodpigeon shells,so that should save a bit of room. Also had a post from HAWKFANZ concerning changing from a 12G to a 20G has anyone shot both and would it be viable to change down to a lighter gun. At the moment I am using a Beretta Teckneys Auto and a Nikko Shadow O/U, The guns are mostly used on crows and would the 20G be up too the job, any advice would be great. Thanks.

I have used a 20 bore exclusively for the last 30 years and shoot everything with it and never feel under gunned, the only downside is the cost of cartridges compared to 12 bores. I shoot an annual average of 2000 pigeon plus various game shooting days and rook/jackdaw trimming and 28g 67.5mm cartridges does the lot. I have a pigeon shooting chum who again shoots a 20 bore s/s and shoots an annual average of 2500 pigeon with the same cartridges. I have seen sitsinhedges knock down some lovely pigeon using his home loads in a hushpower, nothing wrong with the range of a 20, just less pellets! If your looking to save weight then a 20 will more than do the job.

I have been out for about five hours over the weekend , with 6 Fud's (£25), 4 full bodied deeks (s/h gift) , A single barrel Baikal full choke(£35.00)

Using 21g x 71/2 , No Hide ( i sit in hedges with the bugs), S/H Dog food tub (from the ex- wife) , with a bit of foam glued on for a seat, and to carry everything in ,

Less than £70 worth of gear .

16 Woodies , 1 Crow , and a squirrel , But most of all, Just FUN :good::good::good::)

As I'm sure you know, a 20 gauge load will have the same amount of pellets as a 12 if the same weight and pellet size are selected.

I have used a 20 bore exclusively for the last 30 years and shoot everything with it and never feel under gunned, the only downside is the cost of cartridges compared to 12 bores. I shoot an annual average of 2000 pigeon plus various game shooting days and rook/jackdaw trimming and 28g 67.5mm cartridges does the lot. I have a pigeon shooting chum who again shoots a 20 bore s/s and shoots an annual average of 2500 pigeon with the same cartridges. I have seen sitsinhedges knock down some lovely pigeon using his home loads in a hushpower, nothing wrong with the range of a 20, just less pellets! If your looking to save weight then a 20 will more than do the job.

Besides that, shooting that many pigeons, it would be nice to see a few reports of your outings.

• 2 weeks later...