Who Bag Fields Off ??

marsh man

Today I went on a fresh cut Spring barley field which had the rows of straw still laying on the ground after only been cut yesterday , maybe it might have been better if I had left it for a few days but yesterday they cut another field and when I looked this morning a big baling machine was making light work of all the straw and low and behold my mate rang me to say they had nearly finished carting them off when he took his dog for a run to see if it was worth having a look over the next few days.

It was one of those days where pigeons dropped in anywhere on the field and the decoys were having only limited success , weighing the field up I had 2 or 3 options , one was building a hide in the middle of the field with nets and loose straw , that I didn't fancy in case the bailer turned up , two was going upwind and hope my shot kept them on the move or 3 was bagging off the field , now to tell you the truth, I always think putting out carrier bags out on sticks in my opinion is a total waste of time and not really worth the effort.

So in the end I went on a nice warm hedge with the wind on my back and had a relaxing afternoon , shot fairly well and picked up 28 , now back to the title , DO YOU BAG THE FIELDS OFF, AND CAN YOU SAY IT WAS WORTH IT ?

I use a plastic carrier bags tied onto string and fixed to 2 hide poles about 30m in lenth works really well, it does deter birds from dropping in where you don't want them too, not like rope bangers that will send them packing !!

As for rope bangers I normally put on adjacent fields which the pigeon may favour as second choice,

Today I went on a fresh cut Spring barley field which had the rows of straw still laying on the ground after only been cut yesterday , maybe it might have been better if I had left it for a few days but yesterday they cut another field and when I looked this morning a big baling machine was making light work of all the straw and low and behold my mate rang me to say they had nearly finished carting them off when he took his dog for a run to see if it was worth having a look over the next few days.

It was one of those days where pigeons dropped in anywhere on the field and the decoys were having only limited success , weighing the field up I had 2 or 3 options , one was building a hide in the middle of the field with nets and loose straw , that I didn't fancy in case the bailer turned up , two was going upwind and hope my shot kept them on the move or 3 was bagging off the field , now to tell you the truth, I always think putting out carrier bags out on sticks in my opinion is a total waste of time and not really worth the effort.

So in the end I went on a nice warm hedge with the wind on my back and had a relaxing afternoon , shot fairly well and picked up 28 , now back to the title , DO YOU BAG THE FIELDS OFF, AND CAN YOU SAY IT WAS WORTH IT ?

Yep it works for me i usually use high vis jackets flags and got a special rotary the old man made,

Thanks for all your replies , looks like I am the only one who don't find any benefit by flagging a field off , same with a lot of things in pigeon shooting , one day something will work and another day it will have the complete opposite effect. and the odd times I have tried it I couldn't see any advantage it was making .

We have got a field growing Lettuce plants and due to shot falling on the plants the contractors don't allow any shooting , now this field have got every type of flags , bags , rolls of polythene flapping about and 2 or 3 bird of prey kites, and I tell yer what the pigeons don't pay the slightest bit of attention , the only thing they don't like is when the irrigation is going off and a couple of times I went on the edge of the field with my back to the plants shooting over a pea field next door :good:

Many years ago i was working near an old game keepers cottage, in his vegetable garden he had a mirror hanging from a hook on a pole, when i asked him about it he said it was one of the best pigeon scarers. In the slightest breeze the mirror would create reflection and movement. Ok another piece of useless information :lol::lol:

Many years ago i was working near an old game keepers cottage, in his vegetable garden he had a mirror hanging from a hook on a pole, when i asked him about it he said it was one of the best pigeon scarers. In the slightest breeze the mirror would create reflection and movement. Ok another piece of useless information :lol::lol:

The nearest I have seen to that la bala was , a 15 to 18 inch high revolving pyramid that was covered in small bits of mirror glass and as it revolved round the sun reflected on it causing every pigeon to make a hasty retreat , well that was the intention , in reality it was next to useless , even more so when the sun didn't come out .

Then there was a pop up inflated life size doll , that wobbled about in a upright position then the air went out and the whole contraption collapsed back to earth , and no it wasn't one of my surplus to requirements ones :lol:

Also there were heavy duty thin strips of plastic that went across the field that made a buzzing noise when the wind blew , on a calm day the pigeons fed all around it without a care in the world.

I have also seen balloons , kites , sirens , rope bangers and a gas gun that was in a 45 gallon oil drum , now that did make a bit of a bang .

There you go marsh man, this guy flagged the surrounding fields yesterday.

Should have spent his time Shooting rather than Flagging then he would have shot a lot more 😂😂

Joking aside if the shooter thinks it aids him to shoot better bag's good man Top Shooting well done.

My approach is very simple

Gun-Cartridges - 2 Bouncers and my Dog/Dogs oh and me 👍👍