PB pigeons late peas

Ira

Ive just had a couple of weeks away from work, spending a bit of time with the family blah blah blah. However on Wednesday last week I managed to score an afternoon shooting wile the missus took the kids out with one of her mates.

I wasn't sure what had been cut and what hadn't so a quick call to the farm manager pretty much decided it, the peas were about to be cut and the pigeons were on em the evening before. I drove very carefully the 20 minutes to work picked up my gear and drove down the track to look at the many scores of pigeons lifting of as I drove round, yeah right, a handful of birds, a few flitting about, no where else to go, an afternoon chance and sod all to shoot.

Oh well maybe they'll come in if I just set up halfway down this hedge line, I knew from a previous blank that they if they do fly thats where they head. Any way I duly set up in amongst a load of nettles against some nice tall hog weed in front of me, the net strewn across the poles it looked like a pile of cuss.

I used the whirly with hyper flaps on, not sure they work too well, but left the dead bird spikes behind, then 11 shells on wobbly sticks and wait.... not for long it happened they came I shot, some really bad shots, a couple of crackers a load more misses and a nice run of singles dropping them sweetly.

My lab is now 3 and needed some work and she did really well, although she did like to return to one spot where she thought she may have missed one, but on the whole she picked up really nicely and worked well to the whistle.

I dropped a few behind me which we were unable to pick up which was a bit of a shame and the dog wouldn't push through the mangle of bramble and nettle to get to them, nor would I!! I ended up picking up 51 which is a PB for me and the dog on our own, it was also a few more than I thought I'd shot considering my lousy spells where I got really good at missing!

Turns out the next day the peas were harvested, I got lucky and had a cracking afternoon out, one of those days which in my opinion in pigeon shooting doesn't happen all that often.!

A good story. You may get another day on that field soon.

Do you have much success once the peas have been harvested? I had a look today and there were a handful drifting about. Last year I shot a pea field a few times but once they were off so were the pigeons!

Do you have much success once the peas have been harvested? I had a look today and there were a handful drifting about. Last year I shot a pea field a few times but once they were off so were the pigeons!

If there are spilled peas or the green haulm then pigeons may be interested for a week or so.

Crossing the 50 barrier for the first time is a milestone for pigeon shooters so well done for that and achieving your P B.

If the Peas are the only new stubbles in your area then yes keep a eye on them , but I find peas have only got a small window of time until they start going into leaf and when new stubbles like Wheat or Beans become available your Pea stubble become a lot less attractive .

I saw two bean stubbles yesterday. Hoping for some good sport when mine get cut.

Good luck for when your Beans are cut , ours are now turning Black and should be cut within the next week to ten days but with them being surrounded by game covers all I can do is wish them luck and hope I bump into them at a later date. :yes:

And if you return to the field to shoot some more just make sure that the 'Hogweed' you refer to is Heracleum sphondylium and not H. mantegassianum.

Very technical Mr JDog , but in laymans terms are they any good to shoot pigeons on :lol:

And if you return to the field to shoot some more just make sure that the 'Hogweed' you refer to is Heracleum sphondylium and not H. mantegassianum.

Well it gives you nice blisters when you strim it on a hot day and the sap mixes with sweat and sunshine, stay covered up and use chemical control and machinery where ever possible. Mind you you gotta watch you don't set up on a wasp nest this time of year, a couple of stamps on the foot peg of the hide pole and out they come, worth keeping an eye out for bees too although a nuisance Id prefer them to a wasp nest!!!

Well done on the PB.

Any avid pigeon shooter should know that pretty much any stubble can attract pigeons.

CAN being the operative word, there is stubble everywhere which all CAN hold birds but we all know it all don't. Thats where the recon pays dividends and local knowledge!