Baikal MP 153 teething trouble ( second hand purchase )

John_R

Yup, your bolt release catch is properly bent! Never seen one do that before, but as Tony suggests, probably the result of some ham-fisted reassembly by a previous owner.

Given the degree of bent-ness, I would suggest replacing it rather than trying straightening.

Regarding what you are not paying for - that's Baikal: form follows function. lf it doesn't need to be polished to work, it isn't!

and if it should be of the correct heat treated and tempered steel and shouldn't bend...it does.

I suspect this is less faulty manufacture and more faulty user.

Have any other owners had this part bend like the one in the photo?

It will be so mebody just forcing the trigger group in without moving stuff out the way to line up the catches, it will have got bent that way.

They are a very basic gun nothing fancy but they are made properly, anything will break or bend if a gorila is assembling it.

According to what I heard it's not EU it's within Russia, they are the same company that manufactures Kalashnikov and they are being harassed about replacement gun parts being sent all over the world, they have been read the riot act about guns and parts shipments to ensure every part of their business is strictly legitimate and not open to criticism or interpretation that may reflect on the country as a whole.

According to what I heard it's not EU it's within Russia, they are the same company that manufactures Kalashnikov and they are being harassed about replacement gun parts being sent all over the world, they have been read the riot act about guns and parts shipments to ensure every part of their business is strictly legitimate and not open to criticism or interpretation that may reflect on the country as a whole.

I cant prove or disprove what you say one way or the other, but york guns who were the main importers of baikals after sportsmarketing gave up with them, have never been great at providing after sales service of stuff they import.

Its not just baikals but mosbergs too they were their main importers too and many a 935 died an untimely death due to lack of parts back then.

I am on my second mp153 now I have had it for 7-8 years never missed a beat even with light 21-24 gram loads it will eat them up (home loads). Its been dropped in ditches fallen off the truck dropped in mud **** an **** pick it up an she just keeps going doing the job. My pal has an auto he got to do the same job as mine paid a lot more over 5 times more an its **** kicks like an old donkey wont work with anything light jams the list go's on so my baikal sounds good compared to that. But same as everything I don't like benelli or berretta don't slate um they have a place in someone's cabinet just like the baikal.

Ps iv not come across the problem the op has at the min

Had my MP153 years this will be the start of its 12th wildfowling season its blueing is not fantastic now its not gone as such but its not black or blue its kind of plum coloured ..rust.. :lol: the action frame finish as stood up ok a few scuffs and wear on the edges but overall not bad.

A canadian goose guide i know who hunts with MP153s 870s and 1187s only told me to paint it with black board paint from new.

In hindsight he was probably right, i do need to do something with the barrel at some point its a potential reflector but i just stay still.

Synthetic stock is good only gripe it is very cold compared to wood, in fact i think its noticable cold compared to other synthetic guns i own. dont get as cold hands from the other like the baikal or thats how it seems.

Anybody else with these Baikals synthetic MP153s noticed this. ?

I sprayed this one myself in a bit of cammo then spray lacquered it it looked the dogs nads could do with doing again now its had some hammer literally post knocker Jack handle all sorts.

As for it been cold i don"t notice it as am one of the cold ***** now ( warfarin ) so i am like an Eskimo when the weather turns :lol::lol:

I gave the shell stop ( as it is called in the diagram ) a gentle squeeze in the vice and the gun functions OK again on reassembly. I will keep an eye on it for now.

I wonder if it had somehow got snagged when failing to cycle those clay carts.

I gave the shell stop ( as it is called in the diagram ) a gentle squeeze in the vice and the gun functions OK again on reassembly. I will keep an eye on it for now.

I wonder if it had somehow got snagged when failing to cycle those clay carts.

Dont think so its been bent i think on assembley by some mupet trying to service it prior to you getting it, its credit to the gun it hung on for awile, as you say keep an eye on it, and you need to get motivated on locating another, if you cant you might have to re temper that one or even make another. Least you got it going for the season which is good news. Good luck.

Reading this thread prompted me to get my 153 out and give it a good strip and clean prior to the duck season

On putting it back together I found I have lost I don't know how a retaining pin which holds the action in place

The part no is 67

Has anyone a spare they don't need or point me in the right direction to get hold of one

Thanks in advance

back in the thread some place is a link i posted to EAA in canada, these are probably your best bet for spares for MP153s, you realt need to find the pin look under the edge of skirting boards move everything you need to find it realy.

If you simply cant you need to take the othere pin and get another turned up exact the same dont be tempted to bodge it with roll pins etc, It will end badly you need the original pin or a genuine part.

Parts are a compromise here, Wish i could understand Russian there are many russian and eastern block hunting and wildfowling forums on the net, they look very active and Baikals feature vertualy exclusive, another place to try would be PACI GUNS no racial term intended or implied here its what they call the forum, they are keen Baikal MP153 users and waterfowl hunters they will have parts and its all in english.

Good luck.

Tony

I've even been through the Hoover bag and got house maids knee going around on hands and knees looking for it

I had been on the eaa site but the only option for posting was to the USA

I will email them

There's a good gunsmith i know who would be able to make one but would always prefer to buy a genuine part

Cheers

Donkey

Tony

I've even been through the Hoover bag and got house maids knee going around on hands and knees looking for it

I will email them

There's a good gunsmith i know who would be able to make one but would always prefer to buy a genuine part

Cheers

Donkey

They might ship here and please if they do can you let us all know on here a few have these things me included and its always good to know curent shiping polocy from the other side of the pond.

Still think the russian duck goose forums or Pakistani indus river forums and groups would be good for MP153 parts too.

Tony

I will email them

Cheers

Donkey

Its a Baikal just use a tie-rap itl be right :lol::lol:

I dropped the pushpin that retains the shell stop, and moved everything around to find it. It had bounced into the open gun cabinet!

Tony
I will email them
Cheers
Donkey