Woodburner glass

ditchman

Recently there has been a couple of threads on how to keep woodburner glass clean......

im servicing my multi fuel burner and replacing seals and such like and decieded to spray the glass with oven cleaner

TOTAL NO-BRAINER.......come out bootiful...clean as a whistle......no wire wool or scrubbing...just brush the soot off and spray ...leave for 20 mins...wipe away.................

Oven cleaner is fine and there are a number of sprays for that sort of thing. I prop the door open and spray generously having placed newspapers on plastic bags to catch the liquid residue. A flat bladed scraper gets off the stubborn bits.

Have you got a fire already Ditchy?

Oven cleaner is fine and there are a number of sprays for that sort of thing. I prop the door open and spray generously having placed newspapers on plastic bags to catch the liquid residue. A flat bladed scraper gets off the stubborn bits.

Have you got a fire already Ditchy?

nooooo..............i had to make a new grate out of ballistic steel (christ that stuff is hard)....so i had a slight leak (air) on the glass frame...so i thought might as well give the whole burner a damn good clean and service...then do the chimney and forget about it until it starts to get cold............

just getting all my jobs done ....

If you burn a good hard wood at a hot heat it will naturally clean the glass

I usually get a good fire going with ash and get it stoked up fully then chuck on a big lump of beech and open the vent up on the bottom to get it roaring and that does the job for me

thats all well and good if you can get seasoned oak/ash/beech................us poor people who run their fires all day to provide warmth...cant afford to be fussy when it comes to burning stuff............

thats all well and good if you can get seasoned oak/ash/beech................us poor people who run their fires all day to provide warmth...cant afford to be fussy when it comes to burning stuff............

Why dont you just buy a small amount of good stuff and burn that on top of any old rubbish

I only have seasoned ash and beech due to having woodland its got nothing to do with being rich

Why dont you just buy a small amount of good stuff and burn that on top of any old rubbish

I only have seasoned ash and beech due to having woodland its got nothing to do with being rich

i havnt got any woodland.............you want to see the prices of seasoned oak around here.....its doubled in the last 5 years due to second homers with "effect" fires....so i burn what i can get hold of wet or dry.........

The one thing that you never want to use to clean any glass is as has been said before those sponges that you get to do the washing up with the hard pads on one side years ago I made the mistake of using one to clean a window frame next to the glass it cleaned the muck off the frame ok but left a load of permanent scratches in the glass funnily enough those stainless steel mesh things do not harm glass at all I use them on my ceramic hob and it gets all of the burnt spillage off perfectly.

I always seem to end up with permanent light brown tint to the glass that I could never get rid of I have used the acid jell sharp blades they will get rid of most of the sooty burnt ash but nothing seems to get rid of the brown tint I do not use my wood stove much these days so do not need to bother now.

White vinegar with very fine wire wool does mine.