682E vs 692

Alex1Nat2

Like most shots I guess on this forum,I class myself as an average shot. I'm looking to upgrade from my 687 which is now 28 years old (old school Beretta quality, still perfectly reliable but my son wants it!)

Looking to buy 2nd hand so will the average **** tell the difference between a 682 Gold E & a 692?

Shopping around its between £700/£800 difference.

Steve

you need to try them both , there both two very different handling guns .

i know its maybe not the answer your looking for but its the only way to be sure to get whats right for you ,

Depends on how you look at it....682 Gold E = older tech but some people feel the older Berettas are better made than the newer ones vs 692 = bang up to date tech wise, balance system etc but some feel the build quality isn't what it was...

Having owned both (but neither now) I'd opt for the 692 for a variety of reasons...others may well say the opposite.

Try both if you can and see what feels best to you and puts a smile on your face...but both will do the job.

Bought a 686 in the late 80's, faultless and well made, eventually sold to take a break from shooting.

Bought a Prevail sporter when I started again about 3 years ago, sold it after 3 months, a numb, unreliable lump.

I now have a 682 Gold E, faultless, well made and handles like a dream.

Tell you anything?

Bought a 686 in the late 80's, faultless and well made, eventually sold to take a break from shooting.

Bought a Prevail sporter when I started again about 3 years ago, sold it after 3 months, a numb, unreliable lump.

I now have a 682 Gold E, faultless, well made and handles like a dream.

Tell you anything?

have you owned a 692 ?

It may be worth a look at the 682 Supersport?

Now I'm not a Beretta shooter, Can't get away with them since they brought the Gold E series out

The Supersports were the last of the "Proper" Beretta's in my opinion, which of course doesn't count for anything as I shoot a Browning :)

:shaun:

Now I'm not a Beretta shooter, Can't get away with them since they brought the Gold E series out

The Supersports were the last of the "Proper" Beretta's in my opinion, which of course doesn't count for anything as I shoot a Browning :)

:shaun:

I'm not a Beretta fan to be honest, and despite regarding them as ugly ( with the exception of the original DT 10 ) I fell in love with a 682 Supersport some time ago. Had some fun in the hide with it and clattered quite a lot of bolting rabbits, but it had a habit of slapping me on the cheekbone.

If I hadn't found a GE I would probably have spent the money having it fitted. Would have another, but would have to have the stock adjusted.

Edited by Scully

Advantages of the 692 are newer technology in how the barrels are made and better choking system, worse points unreliable pieces of junk in my opinion having owned two of them.

Advantages of the 682 made when quality counted and should last a lifetime and a lot cheaper than the 692, disadvantages older technology and not the latest on type of choking.

Gun fit and handling will be different between them, its a case of try them both and see what suits you the best.

682 Gold E for me every time as the gun handles well and shoots nice. As for newer technologies and chokes, I now shoot a gun with short chokes that pattern very well with low recoil.so all this larger bore longer chokes don't make a great difference. Old sxs still shoot and pattern well. It's how the gun fits and handles for you that counts.

My choice if looking at a 692 budget would be save a little more and go DT10 the best clay gun beretta have made for a long time.

Not quite sure where these ideas about 'new technology'come from. Beretta has been producing cold hammer forged barrels made from Excelsior Steel for at least 15 years. The name 'Steelium' for this process was first coined when the SV10s came along. HP chokes are exactly the same profile and construction as standard Optima, they just relocated the threads and changed back to notches and a conventional wrench. I can't think of any technology in the 692 that isn't in the Gold E.

It's worth bearing in mind that the Gold E was built in the Custom Shop by gunsmiths, right alongside the EELL and SO family guns, whereas the 692 is put together in the main production factory by assembly workers following a crib sheet. The 692 won't have the same attention to detail like hand regulated triggers that it's predecessor had.

But the 692 does have modern weight distribution - light at the extremities, relatively heavy mid way between the hands. If you can manage the stupidly heavy triggers, the 692 is a good shooting gun and probably smoother than the Gold E, especially in 30" form.

On the basis of owning the Gold E and having looked at a 692 for a while- there just isn't enough in it to justify the additional expense of a 692 unless you prefer the handling!

The 692 to me was quite noticeably different. The top lever is also annoying- why rubberised plastic? The 692's had a few niggles and the quality of new beretta's is not as high as years gone by, unless you are doing many thousand a year- you won't notice.

I did not take a lot of notice admittedly, but a mate of mine works in one of the major gun shops and apparently if you are shooting fibre the very wide barrels of the new range of beretta's is detrimental to pattern quality.

For little over the £1k mark you can pick up a mint 682.

a mate of mine works in one of the major gun shops and apparently if you are shooting fibre the very wide barrels of the new range of beretta's is detrimental to pattern quality.

I love gunshop staff and their all encompassing pronouncements based on hearsay. Not all fibre wad shells are the same and there are plenty out there, probably most in fact, which will seal properly in an 18.6mm bore, even with long forcing cones. Brownings have had bores at 18.8mm for years and Fabarm have had their TriBore barrels (which are very similar to the DT-11 and 692 profiles) for years too and they all work okay with fibre.

On the basis of owning the Gold E and having looked at a 692 for a while- there just isn't enough in it to justify the additional expense of a 692 unless you prefer the handling!

The 692 to me was quite noticeably different. The top lever is also annoying- why rubberised plastic? The 692's had a few niggles and the quality of new beretta's is not as high as years gone by, unless you are doing many thousand a year- you won't notice.

I did not take a lot of notice admittedly, but a mate of mine works in one of the major gun shops and apparently if you are shooting fibre the very wide barrels of the new range of beretta's is detrimental to pattern quality.

For little over the £1k mark you can pick up a mint 682.

It's great really you have never used a 692 but have come to the decision that they are not worth the money.also on the word of a salesman you also write them off as far as fibre go.well that must also mean most other makes are also no good as most are and have been backboard for years.i take no notice of salesmen most have no knowledge of what they sell its a bit like the old syndrome must be true a man down the pub told me.

I've had both. I've owned a gold e for 13 years and last year I got a 692 I shot OK with it but the build quality is not as good. The top lever was so tight it was hurting my thumb, I stripped it down and the top lever spindle was bone dry no grease at all. It was OK after that but its put me off modern Beretta's and i prefer the weight and balance of the 682 so I sold it and iam still using the gold e which I didn't trade in thankfully.

Edited by bornfree

It's great really you have never used a 692 but have come to the decision that they are not worth the money.also on the word of a salesman you also write them off as far as fibre go.well that must also mean most other makes are also no good as most are and have been backboard for years.i take no notice of salesmen most have no knowledge of what they sell its a bit like the old syndrome must be true a man down the pub told me.

So you didn't read the bit about where I said "I did not take much notice admittedly"? There is some logic to the hypothesis but I doubt any real difference in practise and almost certainly too many variables to test.

I've shot a 692- can you tell me why you think it is far superior?

The balanced view I offered was that I, in my opinion, didn't think the additional cost is justified, not that it's a bad gun and not worth buying. Again the build quality comment, your average man might not notice, one doing 10,000+ a year will.

Edited by wj939

So you didn't read the bit about where I said "I did not take much notice admittedly"? There is some logic to the hypothesis but I doubt any real difference in practise and almost certainly too many variables to test.

I've shot a 692- can you tell me why you think it is far superior?

The balanced view I offered was that I, in my opinion, didn't think the additional cost is justified, not that it's a bad gun and not worth buying. Again the build quality comment, your average man might not notice, one doing 10,000+ a year will.

i never said it was superior.in fact as some know i am a huge beretta fan but i have tried and looked at the 692 several times and just do not like them mainly because i have never seen one that had wood that i liked and that is something i am very fussy about..as for my comment on salesmen it was only a comment and suggestion that it would also write off every other backbored gun on the market.i buy only from shops who have a fully trained gunsmith and if he is to busy to talk with me when looking at guns then i go elsewhere.on build quality of any gun not just beretta which everyone seems to love to bash i also ask what qualifies these people to knock the build.they cant all be time served gunmakers/smiths.

well I have just bought another one , this time a sporter with 30" barrels M/C and adjustable stock , what a smooth , lively fast gun . with a fantastic bit of wood and a proper beaver tail fore end .