Unemployment???

Craig83

My wife runs a cleaning business, nothing glamorous but she makes reasonable money.

Since taking a large contract with a big land agent firm cleaning homes of some of the estates;we decided we needed to recruit a few more staff. we were excited to help give some one a job in this tough climate and we're offering a lot more than minimum wage.

We went through the job centre, and various sites.

Do you think we can employ some one....NO.

The thing that got me is that for people to keep on getting job seekers allowance they have to attend certain amount of interviews. Truly wasting our time.

Truly truly mental no one wants to work!

There was a programme on last night, I only caught the end of it but it was an experiment where a group of people were made to work in a factory doing a 'minimum wage job'.

One of them who was interviewed after was saying how hard work it was (in a textile factory making cushions) and how she's so fortunate not to have to do just a minimum wage job etc...

The issue to me there is what we face a lot of today - contempt against min wage jobs. The programme was condoning people saying that it was way too hard work for the money... (insinuating that their real jobs give them more money for less work?!)

I think this attitude is now general consensus, and therefore people without a job feel like theres no point working really hard for not much money as people above them will be doing less for more money. Not to mention the money you rake in from benefits if you have a few kids - but for the ability to then spend time with your kids rather than doing 'hard work' for less money.... easy reason to see why people aren't willing to push themselves.

If people on benefits had to do a certain amount of community service work per week to 'earn their benefits' I think you'd find that a lot of min wage jobs would get snapped up.

Case in point - a neighbour of ours from where we used to live, she didn't work (never had), she had 4 kids. One of them had any farcical made up problem you can name (clamed ADHD but was always seen eating sweets and drinking coke so likely just hypo)... they had a HUGE telly, each kid had a 50 inch telly in their room, they all had iPads, went on holiday abroad, two cars, smoked and drank etc...

Then there was me, working my socks off (at the time on a decent wage for my age (circa 30k)) not being able to afford iPads and big tellys because I always have lots of bills to pay...

Just got back from the US. Boy do they kmow how to run hospitality.

just a theory.

From what I saw they seem to work on the principle that as soon as the job was bigger than 1 person could do they got another in and they split the wotk and did it properly.

In this country my experience is that we only employ one person and load them up until there's enough for 2 then think about employing another. As a result servicd is rubbish and the person doing the job gets the blame and labeled lazy and a waster..

Minimum wage jobs seem to be more prone to this. But I do think it's becoming more common in the higher paid jobs too.

Like I say, don't shoot me down it's only an observation.

Perhaps one of the reasons why so many voted for Brexit.

My wife runs a cleaning business, nothing glamorous but she makes reasonable money.

Since taking a large contract with a big land agent firm cleaning homes of some of the estates;we decided we needed to recruit a few more staff. we were excited to help give some one a job in this tough climate and we're offering a lot more than minimum wage.

We went through the job centre, and various sites.

Do you think we can employ some one....NO.

The thing that got me is that for people to keep on getting job seekers allowance they have to attend certain amount of interviews. Truly wasting our time.

Truly truly mental no one wants to work!

Yup know the feeling. Before I retired I was a manager in an electronics company. It was only a small firm so recruitment needs were pretty low. When we did need to hire staff our MD would not pay the exorbitant costs of advertising (can't say I blame him). So off to the local job centre............OMG candidates sent by the JC were only there to fill the interview requirement.

Tats you would not believe, piercings that would keep you inside during a lightning storm. I used to ask them, first question." are you here for a job or to meet the requirements of your job seekers allowance". Answer would usually be a shrug.

Ok says I give me your form to sign then go away. Never had any comebacks from the JC........................

Just got back from the US. Boy do they kmow how to run hospitality.

just a theory.

From what I saw they seem to work on the principle that as soon as the job was bigger than 1 person could do they got another in and they split the wotk and did it properly.

In this country my experience is that we only employ one person and load them up until there's enough for 2 then think about employing another. As a result servicd is rubbish and the person doing the job gets the blame and labeled lazy and a waster..

Minimum wage jobs seem to be more prone to this. But I do think it's becoming more common in the higher paid jobs too.

Like I say, don't shoot me down it's only an observation.

Perhaps one of the reasons why so many voted for Brexit.

I think youve just made a very good point there , I had never even thought of things that way, but looking back you seem to have nailed it perfectly.

Tats you would not believe, piercings that would keep you inside during a lightning storm. I used to ask them, first question." are you here for a job or to meet the requirements of your job seekers allowance". Answer would usually be a shrug.

Off on tangent, Iv just been looked at like a piece of **** by a butcher I was asking to butcher my venison for me as I don't have time. I'm guessing it's something to

Do with my tattoos.....wanted to ask him what his problem is. But I'm a gentleman and refrained

Off on tangent, Iv just been looked at like a piece of **** by a butcher I was asking to butcher my venison for me as I don't have time. I'm guessing it's something to

Do with my tattoos.....wanted to ask him what his problem is. But I'm a gentleman and refrained

What tattoos do you have ?

What tattoos do you have ?

just a sleeve on my left arm, representing all the comrades iv lost.

i get it the tattoo looks like "thug" but i have a degree, done my bit for queen and country, earn my own money, work hard....tattoo's shouldnt account for anything.

We certainly dont judge on tattoo's when recruiting. Any way....does any one want or need a job?

On the other hand....I applied for a position as a cleaner 2 hrs/day for £9/hr a couple of weeks ago with a well known cleaning company - told them I was within walking distance of the site and that I used to be a Caretaker there - left 2 messages and still not had the decency of a reply - they can shove it - can earn more money walking peoples Dogs.

On the other hand....I applied for a position as a cleaner 2 hrs/day for £9/hr a couple of weeks ago with a well known cleaning company - told them I was within walking distance of the site and that I used to be a Caretaker there - left 2 messages and still not had the decency of a reply - they can shove it - can earn more money walking peoples Dogs.

probably already had someone sorted but but had to go through the motions

Yup know the feeling. Before I retired I was a manager in an electronics company. It was only a small firm so recruitment needs were pretty low. When we did need to hire staff our MD would not pay the exorbitant costs of advertising (can't say I blame him). So off to the local job centre............OMG candidates sent by the JC were only there to fill the interview requirement.

Ok says I give me your form to sign then go away. Never had any comebacks from the JC........................

I'd have claused the form as "attended but completely disinterested in gaining employment"

It is so easy to put people down for not being prepared to do these basic wage jobs but things are not always as simple as that if you should loose your job it can sometimes take a while to get all of your benefits in place so if you then take a job and for whatever reason it all goes pair shaped if you have no savings it can take a while to get all of the benefits back again.

Also a lot of this work is not like it used to be they give you a job and as long as you do it ok then you are ok for a long time lots of these jobs do not last long the hours are changing all of the time its ok if you are coming in from Poland or somewhere like that you can bunk down in a house with lots of other people and send what money you get home for your family where the money goes much further.

It just boils down to too many lazy people that have been looked after too well by a government that didn't have to. All of the lazy ***** round here have far too much disposable income. People on benefits should only be given just enough to survive. If you want more than that, go out and earn it.

It is so easy to put people down for not being prepared to do these basic wage jobs but things are not always as simple as that if you should loose your job it can sometimes take a while to get all of your benefits in place so if you then take a job and for whatever reason it all goes pair shaped if you have no savings it can take a while to get all of the benefits back again.

Also a lot of this work is not like it used to be they give you a job and as long as you do it ok then you are ok for a long time lots of these jobs do not last long the hours are changing all of the time its ok if you are coming in from Poland or somewhere like that you can bunk down in a house with lots of other people and send what money you get home for your family where the money goes much further.

thats the true answer

It just boils down to too many lazy people that have been looked after too well by a government that didn't have to. All of the lazy ***** round here have far too much disposable income. People on benefits should only be given just enough to survive. If you want more than that, go out and earn it.

Bang on nobody should go hungry or struggle

BUT I do feel a bit angry when I go abroad on holiday and there are unemployed people at the same place when my hands are still sore

Don't think I'm better that anyone (probably worse if truth be known)

But I work bloody hard as does my good lady to give ourselves a decent lifestyle

I'm a fan of the Swiss system someone on here was on about where everyone over 18 gets 1500 per month and that's your lot if you want more go to work

I run a business in the cleaning/ property refurbishment sector since I 'retired' from my proper job.

People in these situations only ever want to work cash in hand off the cards so they can still claim their benefits. Dealing with the job centre is a big mistake because they will send you time wasters who have no intention of taking the job but have been forced to attend the interview. Should you offer them a job they will deliberately mess you around till you sack them

As soon as they go on the cards and PAYE you will not be giving them as much as they can already get without working. I don't blame them entirely because I can see it their way. Benefits do lock them in but after a few years they become unemployable. Benefits under the Blair/ Brown years in particular created dependency and it was deliberately done.

That's why the Eastern Europeans are such a godsend, they are prepared to work when our lot aren't

If you want to get staff put up a notice in the window of a Polski Sklep, or find out about the local polish community websites.

Edited by Vince Green

I run a business in the cleaning/ property refurbishment sector since I 'retired' from my proper job.

People in these situations only ever want to work cash in hand off the cards so they can still claim their benefits. Dealing with the job centre is a big mistake because they will send you time wasters who have no intention of taking the job but have been forced to attend the interview. Should you offer them a job they will deliberately mess you around till you sack them

As soon as they go on the cards and PAYE you will not be giving them as much as they can already get without working. I don't blame them entirely because I can see it their way. Benefits do lock them in but after a few years they become unemployable. Benefits under the Blair/ Brown years in particular created dependency and it was deliberately done.

That's why the Eastern Europeans are such a godsend, they are prepared to work when our lot aren't

If you want to get staff put up a notice in the window of a Polski Sklep, or find out about the local polish community websites.

Sorry but I disagree if the labour market wasn't flooded with cheap foreign labour wages would go up above minimum wage and maybe to a level that pays way better than benefits. All right blaming a lazy Brit when not one of you's on here would work on minimum wage job when they have a family to raise.

The problem is the wages for loads of working people are so bad that if it was not for tax credits and housing benefit loads of hard working people could not make end meet what kind of country do we live in when a person can work for over 40 hours a week and still has to rely on state hand outs to feed and house his or her family that is the real cause of lots of the problems.

I think the Swiss minimum income thing was voted out by a referendum, even the public realised that paying people 1500 per month to do **** all was, to put it mildly, fiscally irresponsible.

I've got a mate that has a sister and she and her waste of skin husband don't work. He is sick with depression and a list as long as your arm of other stuff (not even much use as an organ donor tbh) and she is his carer yet the house is full of big tellys, games station(S) the latest, ipads etc.I doubt either of their kids will work as they are from a workless household, that is a real term as well. It drives him,and me, up the wall as he works and has to save to get his stuff. The welfare system is very broken and if it isn't sorted very soon the government will also be very broke.

I cannot watch any of those benefit street type programs as I end up shouting at the tv.

The problem is, JSA is not setup right for those whom become redundant or have worked all of their lives and then find themselves out of a job.

Take myself as an example, I've been out of work since end of May (we were all being replaced by a well known large Indian firm with cheap overseas labour - and they wont provide the same level of service and haven't been doing so from what i gather). My job was unique and i was still binned. Now, I have no intention on going down to JSA just yet, I'm chillin out and have done a bit of consultancy,which will have to be declared next April with self-assesment. Do I have to sign on eventually? Should I? I've paid my way and have enough NI contributions to pay for my state pension, as well as a military and private pension(s). I'm not bothered anymore with a high pressure job, working for a company that will bin you as soon as say boo to a goose. Does that make me a lazy sod? Further, sorry but a lot of senior managers and directors in a lot of large cooperations are a waste of space, jobs for the boys. Perhaps being ex mil, I see it differently but boy, are a lot of those in position numpties. I know an account director who gets over 100k a year and he cant even manage to get the end of year accounts in but if the company sack him, he will get 6 months gardening leave, a massive pay out...all for being an eejit, whilSt muggins here gets sweet FA.

However, I'd be happy with part-time work and indeed went for Sainsbury internet shopping job, didn't get it, THEY weren't interested in a 'semi-retired' dude, doing 16 hours. Thats enough for me, since I will be mortgage free soon and my wife is happy where she works. So, is there much part-time work, well no, not in Inverness area and any 'outdoor' type casual labour is not even advertised, it goes to Polish agents whom get the labour in. So, blanketing that brit workers are lazy is rather stupid, since these types of jobs dont even become advertised. At my age, it's quite difficult to change career paths, people aren't intererested in taking you on.

So, no work, couple of weeks here and there for consultancy and possibly at some point will be TOLD to sign on. Then, since my job is quite unique and there wont be any of those jobs either here or Aberdeen anymore, I'll be told to apply for something semi-skilled (which will be handed out to a 16 year old who has just left school), remembering that, I may be forced to sign on to JSA to contribute for others NI (I've paid mine)! There is also the way that everybody gets treated at JSA, you are all classed as numpties or scroungers :hmm:

People whom have small companise have to accept that if you dont advertise properly and take the lazy way of using JSA you may get people uninterested for various reason, some of which aren't obvious, others that 'fit the bill' which is what this thread is pointing at.

Edited by Pugs