Unemployment???

Craig83

So, no work, couple of weeks here and there for consultancy and possibly at some point will be TOLD to sign on. Then, since my job is quite unique and there wont be any of those jobs either here or Aberdeen anymore, I'll be told to apply for something semi-skilled (which will be handed out to a 16 year old who has just left school), remembering that, I may be forced to sign on to JSA to contribute for others NI (I've paid mine)! There is also the way that everybody gets treated at JSA, you are all classed as numpties or scroungers :hmm:

Pugs,

They can't force you to sign on,

If as you say you have paid all your NI contributions that you have to then thats it,

Mate of mine had his own business which he retired from,

He then went into working for the Caravan Club as a warden for 6 months of the year, so after his first 6 months he went to the job centre and tried to sign on, bare in mind his savings and pensions took him over the capital amount £16k so he wasn't entitled to anything anyway, he just wanted to keep his stamp going,

Job centre in their wisdom handed him a thick application form and told him to fill it in also telling him they expected him to seek work, any work, he said no because in 6 months he would be back off to the Caravan Club and nobody would employ him knowing he was off again,

They didn't like his attitude and said they would suspend his payments (remember, he wasn't entitled to any), but they had told him that because of his age and the fact they had lowered the amount of years you had to pay NI contributions to qualify for a full state pension that he had enough "stamp" anyway,

He then told them where to stick their forms, guy wasn't happy but conceded that they couldn't do anything,

SO, if you have enough NI payments paid in then they can't make you sign on,

You have said you're wife works so chances are you wouldn't get any money anyway,

Just enjoy you're semi retirement in the knowledge you have done your bit

:shaun:

Pugs,

They can't force you to sign on,

If as you say you have paid all your NI contributions that you have to then thats it,

Mate of mine had his own business which he retired from,

He then went into working for the Caravan Club as a warden for 6 months of the year, so after his first 6 months he went to the job centre and tried to sign on, bare in mind his savings and pensions took him over the capital amount £16k so he wasn't entitled to anything anyway, he just wanted to keep his stamp going,

Job centre in their wisdom handed him a thick application form and told him to fill it in also telling him they expected him to seek work, any work, he said no because in 6 months he would be back off to the Caravan Club and nobody would employ him knowing he was off again,

They didn't like his attitude and said they would suspend his payments (remember, he wasn't entitled to any), but they had told him that because of his age and the fact they had lowered the amount of years you had to pay NI contributions to qualify for a full state pension that he had enough "stamp" anyway,

He then told them where to stick their forms, guy wasn't happy but conceded that they couldn't do anything,

SO, if you have enough NI payments paid in then they can't make you sign on,

You have said you're wife works so chances are you wouldn't get any money anyway,

Just enjoy you're semi retirement in the knowledge you have done your bit

:shaun:

Thanks bud, reassuring to know. Been looking up the NI contribution and how many years you need but HMRC are telling people they still need to pay in to it (even though they have done their 35 years or more), they are supposed to often quote that you are actually contributing to 'society' and other 'benefits'. So I dont know what to think.

Your right, I wouldn't get any help anyway and then be expected to answer to them, when in reality i've paid my way and seek semi-retirement. I'd still happly do part-time but on my terms and when i want to, not theirs. I'll keep looking but in the meantime it still bothers me about this NI stamp and signing on purely for their sake not mine, i can live without JSA

Edited by Pugs

And pretty much guaranteed it won't be worth **** when you can collect it!!

Based on?

The HMRC report (you need a gov id to sign on to their site) tells you how many years you've contributed and what your state pension will be (just watch you haven't been contracted out of the state pension, that means a reduction in that 150 odd a week and lots of people have been contracted out without knowledge, including the armed forces!!)

http://citywire.co.uk/money/contracted-out-watch-out-for-your-state-pension/a784865

Edited by Pugs

I think the minimum wage has dragged down wage rather than increase it. Employers now know what they can get away with paying rather than having to make an offer based on supply and demand.

I think that is absolutely true but as long as benefits are higher than the minimum wage where is the incentive to look for that kind of work? As well as only paying the minimum wage they treat the staff like carp and usually sack them before they qualify for a workplace pension or other rights.

Edited by Vince Green

The benefit system is heavily weighted in favour of the wasters and migrants.a friend of mine was made redundant he is in his mid sixties so not to worried he has savings as he has been careful with his money.he was told when he went to the job centre for the first time in his life he would get jsa for 26 weeks at something like 73 pounds a week for 26 weeks as everyone is entitled to nomatter how much you have.after this he would get nothing.however if he had just got off a boat or plane from one of the European countries never having paid into our system he would get jsa for as long as not working.also housing benefit and other help.so in reality why should the slackers and wasters work when they can get large payouts for sitting on their behinds in front of their sky tele whilst having a cold can and a fag.the system was designed to help those who paid in through the good when a bad patch hit.not the screwed up system that exists now

Edited by bostonmick

I think that is absolutely true but as long as benefits are higher than the minimum wage where is the incentive to look for that kind of work? As well as only paying the minimum wage they treat the staff like carp and usually sack them before they qualify for a workplace pension or other rights.

Agree :good: