Any Computer repairers amongst us ?

TaxiDriver

My son has an Asus laptop that was at the time a decent spec in order to play games etc,

Some months ago, Windows 7 upgraded itself to Windows 10 then it all went wrong, my son tried to go back to Windows 7 but now the wireless is not working.

A local shop has told him the wireless controller and card are not communicating and need replacing at far more than the laptop is worth :(

A possible way is to buy, £25 ish a genuine W7 disc and re install it. Or you could install a linux based OS for free. A usb wireless dongle may work instead of the on board one. Hope this helps. David.

Shooting Egg is suggesting the best first route.

Edited by chancer2

You could just buy a usb wifi adapter and plug it in to one of your usb slots. I did this with my laptop and the new card is MUCH faster than the internal one and it runs on 5GHz rather than the more crowded 2.4 I bought a netgear A6210 to use and it is great. Only thing is the wifi card is big so if you carry your laptop about a lot it will get annoying but mine just sits on the table. I have avoided Win 10 so far and will go to 7 when I get round to it.

It is well known that Win 10 has driver issues. My son did the same and has returned to 7.

Can we assume he has reverted to Win 7. If so ASUS web will provide the driver(s).

Or does he not have to original discs that came with the comp.

discs with a laptop don't think you get them anymore there it normally a particular place on boot drive to reinstall again

Start menu
right click (RC) on Computer
select manage
select device manager
move to the device showing without drivers
RC
Select properties
Select the Details tab
select hardware Ids from the properties drop down menu
Highlight the top one and hit Control+C

Open a browser on hit Control+V (Or paste into Google) in the address bar.
This should point you at compatible drivers.

Failing this go to the manufacturers web site and find the support section. You should be able to narrow down the drivers required by selecting the exact model you need from there.

You may be able to to a re-install from the system. You will need to get to the start up screens for this - Probably hitting F12 during boot up to get to the repair menus.

Stick up the model number so we can get a better idea of what will be available to you

Also get the details from the missing driver.

Typical luck,

Thanks to Alpha Mule for the info and the link.

I've entered his serial number but it says the drivers/ recovery media are currently not available :(

Thanks to the link provided by Alpha Mule, I can at least contact Asus and see if they can do anything and at what cost ???

Just seems a darn shame that as expensive as it was, it's not overused, just seems to good to throw away.

Thanks to everyone who's responded, It's beyond my comprehension to even start trying ( that's why I use iPad for web browsing)

Neil

Typical luck,

Thanks to Alpha Mule for the info and the link.

I've entered his serial number but it says the drivers/ recovery media are currently not available :(

Thanks to the link provided by Alpha Mule, I can at least contact Asus and see if they can do anything and at what cost ???

Just seems a darn shame that as expensive as it was, it's not overused, just seems to good to throw away.

Thanks to everyone who's responded, It's beyond my comprehension to even start trying ( that's why I use iPad for web browsing)

Neil

Neil,

PM me the details:

model serial number and which driver is missing.

Give me the details for the blurb I spoke of earlier.

Do you know if you're running Windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit?

Thanks to everyone that contributed help and suggestions.

But, THANKS to Alpha Mule,

For his detailed help and linking to the correct drivers to down load and the manual to consult/down load,

My son has been able to download the relevant drivers, which then highlighted another issue (of my sons own doing) which when corrected ...... Means his laptop is now working as designed - wirelessly

Neil