Fly Fishing tips for a novice

chrisjh

You'll get a good starter kit for under £100 .

Get a lesson as they really help and will be able to advise on the best rod length / line weight that suits you physically and your needs , ie river , reservoir etc. Most game fairs you can get free lessons or very cheap lessons or watch experts give demos.

Lots of great tips on the Internet and Trout Fisherman and Trout and Salmon magazines are full of good advice.

Best of luck

Ifi were you i would head to a reputable one which has a gaia instructor and take it from there. Fly fishing forum is also good for info. Lots of folk seem to slate the pennine fishery!! Dont rush out and buy rods etc as they all have pros and cons depending on what type of fishing you are doing, ie river, small water, resevoir or boat fishing. Plenty on gumtree and the like. Good luck

Being able to cast well will make all the difference. You see many lads flogging away on reservoirs turning the water into froth. As a beginner I would recommend boat fishing to begin, drifting downwind as it's almost effortless to cast. Drift down a bank broadside to the bank or anchor 5-50yds offshore and fish with a muddler on the top pulling it through the wave. Fish can chase it and hit it right under the boat. It's how my dad taught me and it still catches them at this time of year in particular.

Long accurate casting to spooky fish in calm conditions is a bit more advanced. A floating line and a few big dry flies like daddy long legs and muddlers if it's windy is all you need to begin with.

Enjoy.

PhillW just about covered it. Even on a smallish lawn you can teach yourself the basics of casting. First off it is not a whip. Timing is the essence and initially think 11am and 1pm ... 11am where to stop the movement of your rod on the back cast and 1 pm where you initiate the forward pressure on the ROD TIP to power the line forward asif your trying to flick a fly off the ceiling Initially just do this with a short line and watch the line as it flows and feel that power stroke forwards and backwards. You can actually do it with a length of string and a brush stale, it is all in the timing.

Once your not dropping the line on the ground forward or backwards you can tie on a piece of coloured wool and put some markers out at about 10 yards and practise trying to land the 'fly' on the marker. As said above, don't think you need to lay out tons of cash for basic kit. A mill end 5 or 6 line shouldn't cost more than a fiver and buy a floater to start with, you can always use a weighted nymph on the point to get the trace down. Initially an old Intrepid reel to hold the line and some backing and look around and find a Shakespeare rod around 8ft that will throw a 5 or6 line. On still water you often see frantic efforts to throw a line 40 to 50yrds out, when very often the fish are right under your feet. So get confident with your casting first.

A realy good way of catching trout and also pretty easy for a beginner is the clothes line method. A largish floating fly on the point and a couple of buzzer nymphs at intervals along the trace. You can cast such out from a boat or the bank and just occasionally give the line a tweak. Takes can be savage and very exciting.

PM me with an address and I will post you a selection of flies to give you a start. Have fun.

Stripping a muddler across the top of waves can be very exciting with fish following the fly leaving a bow wave. It takes a lot of courage not to snatch the fly away from them or to slow down, when almost always they will turn away. Had a day down at Chew many moons ago and the wind was so strong we had to anchor in the quietest spot we could find but even then only held by having the anchor on the bow. I was casting over the head of my pal and tied on a large white muddler, hardly needed to cast in the wind and then started to strip back. Had my limit in about an hour and my pal using nymphs had not had a pull. I tied my muddler on for him and told him what to do. But the fish would not come up to it. He then cast the fly and I stripped the line for him and imediately a fish hit. there was something I was doing which switched them on and it looked as if he was doing exactly the same. It's frustrating but great fun.

Edited by Walker570

hello, lots of good info but i have always noted 10 to 2 looking at a clock face as being the best forward and return stop in casting a fly line, you might find best to start with a double taper rather than a weight forward line with front belly, if you choose a W/F mark the end of belly with black marker pen so you know where the running line start, keep front belly out and cast running line like as above. plenty of videos on line. good luck ps if your ever down Oxford way i would be happy to take you fishing at Farmoor Res,

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Practice really will make perfect. I learned to fly fish in a grass field. Get your rod etc and get started out on the lawn or in a field. Plenty of space and you will see your mistake. Oh... Attach a tippit, to stop cracking off, but obviously no flies. This way you will enjoy time spent on the water much more, while your confidence grows. Good luck.

Practice really will make perfect. I learned to fly fish in a grass field. Get your rod etc and get started out on the lawn or in a field. Plenty of space and you will see your mistake. Oh... Attach a tippit, to stop cracking off, but obviously no flies. This way you will enjoy time spent on the water much more, while your confidence grows. Good luck.

Quite right - tie a small piece of wool to the end of your line - remember 1 oclock - ten oclock - with you rod of course - simples.

Take a look at Airflo kits - very inexpensive and you get everything included bar a net. As said, practice in the park for accuracy, distance and most importantly consistency and muscle memory.

Casting is all about letting the rod work around two positive stops - one on the backcast and one on the forward and the timing inbetween.

Ifi were you i would head to a reputable one which has a gaia instructor and take it from there. Fly fishing forum is also good for info. Lots of folk seem to slate the pennine fishery!! Dont rush out and buy rods etc as they all have pros and cons depending on what type of fishing you are doing, ie river, small water, resevoir or boat fishing. Plenty on gumtree and the like. Good luck

Not been to Pennine for 20 odd years. Caught big fish there but fishing the top lake was spoilt by the kerching of the cash register in the little hut on the dam!