Shooting ducks when you arrive at a pond to flight or waiting for them

DumfriesshireDucks

When I arrive at my pond to feed, which is most often between 6 and 7 in the evening, usually 7 to 15 ducks fly off. I am wondering if, when the season finally starts, I should stalk in and try and bag a few as they take off, or leave them to go, settle down for the flight, and hope they return, possibly bringing more with them.

Thanks in advance for any advice and have a great season.

Plenty of ducks do come in after I feed. I'm lucky in that it is very much an evening pond. I almost never see anything on it during the day or in the morning - they must leave very early. What I meant though is will the same ducks I put off it at say six or seven PM, come back later on after I'm in my hide or is it worth shooting them as they get off the pond?

Edited by DumfriesshireDucks

Way i tackle this if you can is if its possible make yourself visible at a long distance stand on a bank top play with the dog keep an eye on them, they might stick fast not want to lift, but hopefully they will see you a hundred yards or more away and lift, If they do you might be in luck, watch them move off when they are well clear get a move on to your possition and get set up.

I tend to do this with pigeons who stick a lot firmer than ducks generaly.

I tend to shoot well used club or free shores over the border ducks in these places can stick but more often than not are paranoid so they lift when your a long way off if you stand in a prominent possition.

Obviously in my case its dependent on just who is around.

I shoot a river up here in the hills its not realy a problem there but i have come upon ducks occasionaly as i go in flushed them, did not really seem to put them off returni ng. though.

Shooting them as you walk in ok to fill a bag with one or two, but i try and do as i say flush them at a good distance let them go so they think you have gone and get in possition quick.

Obviously this is location spacific some landscapes dont lend themselves to this approach.

There's so many variables that can play a part it's hard to give a definitive answer, all I can say from experience is I've shot ducks as they've lifted and had some come back later on whereas other times I've pushed them off only to sit there all evening and not see another duck!