Scottish referendum #2

ditchman

Sturgeon is at it again bless her ...

Look im neither fore or against on this issue....if they want to wave bye bye...fine best of luck ...if they want to stay...fine.............

just explain to me ....where on earth are they going to get the money from, ?..... to at the very least maintain the status quo....huh ?

and when they go will they pay off their share of the national debt............god knows how many billions that will be...or will they say "its nothing to do with us as we wernt consulted"

has anyone done their sums up there............

just explain to me in the simplest of terms how they expect to make ends meet .......... :hmm:

(not looking for a slanging match...im just totally opened mouthed as to how they intend to survive).....

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read this news on the BBC web

Yes ditchman, there still to many unanswered questions. According to the news release we, the Scottish voters will have the chance to ask questions (again) and hopefully this time we will get proper answers and not just the waffle and hopeful speculation.

I have never spoken to anyone, friends or otherwise who voted yes in the referendum, who could give me a direct answers or be able to point me to the answers mostly regarding the fiscal plans for an independent Scotland. There was and still is to much at stake.

I will for one be asking my local Scottish Parliament SNP member a few questions and hopefully get some straight answers but I wont hold my breath.

I am sure like the previous referendum debates there will be be some heated discussions from PW members. Maybe some of the previous YES voters on PW might be able to shed some light on the fiscal matters ?? but as you have said lets not take it into a slagging match. I to would like to find out "in the simplest of terms how they expect to make ends meet .......... "

She only utters this nonsense to keep the pot boiling. She hasn't been in the news much recently, so raises this again.

I don't believe they could afford to go it alone, but financial planning is not her strong suit. Strong on rhetoric, short on intelligence.

I sincerely hope they don't try and force another referendum and remain.

It would be a tragedy. I cannot think of anything quite so stupid. As things stand at the moment and as I understand them, Scotland rightly gets a considerable hand out to help balance the books. How many of our Scots members can say they have definitely found an advantage from having their own parliament for instance. The Westminster one is far too big , let alone have three more. There are only so many teets on a sow to suck on. Additionally I see in the Financial pages today Brent Crude has taken a hit again, so even if it was accepted as Scottish, the money coming from that would decline and decline anyway as supplies ran down. Then we have the submarines, how many businesses and workers in that area benefit from them being there? I don't know, it would be an eye opener I am sure.

Edited by Walker570

someone told me ..(correct me if im wrong )....oil has to be min $100/barrel to make a profit...this is what countries that have based their "oil economies" on..need to draw even.....

if Faslane goes it will impact directly on 30,000 people.....and the shipyards that build for the British navy will lose their contracts...as it was said by a minister of defence...foriegn countries dont build British navy warships ..quote un-quote............

im all for a people having the right to determine their future........but it is usually for the betterment of that people.............and i just cant do any sums that would prove that senario...

Edited by ditchman

I genuinely think fiscal matters are of no importance and not even considered by the SNP..........the driving force and their primary reason to exist appears to be a historic hatred of and a tribal desire to gain "freedom" from "the auld enemy" England and to rule an independent Scotland!........at any cost!

This is how the Scottish Nationalist leadership come across to me!

I genuinely think fiscal matters are of no importance and not even considered by the SNP..........the driving force and their primary reason to exist appears to be a historic hatred of and a tribal desire to gain "freedom" from "the auld enemy" England and to rule an independent Scotland!........at any cost!

This is how the Scottish Nationalist leadership come across to me!

That is a truly terrible conclusion to come to..................but the more it goes on the more im sure that is the driving force.........

someone told me ..(correct me if im wrong )....oil has to be min $100/barrel to make a profit...this is what countries that have based their "oil economies" on..need to draw even.....

There may be a miss conception regarding the profits from oil.

Its the tax that the oil company's have to pay to the government on the volume of oil & gas that is produced that goes into the country`s big pot of money and I believe that would be the same the world over.

The oil company that I work for are currently one of the most efficient in the UK (Apache North Sea Ltd) There profits are based on the cost of uplift / barrel of oil. The cheaper they can produce the more efficient and therefore the more profit. We currently have an uplift of around $18 / barrel so around $30/barrel before tax profit.

There may be a miss conception regarding the profits from oil.

Its the tax that the oil company's have to pay to the government on the volume of oil & gas that is produced that goes into the country`s big pot of money and I believe that would be the same the world over.

The oil company that I work for are currently one of the most efficient in the UK (Apache North Sea Ltd) There profits are based on the cost of uplift / barrel of oil. The cheaper they can produce the more efficient and therefore the more profit. We currently have an uplift of around $18 / barrel so around $30/barrel before tax profit.

i accept that.....$100/barrel is what countries that base their economies on oil need to run the country....and what is left to put away for the hard times.................

im treading on thin ice here so forgive me if you are sure im talking out of my rear...........

If Sturgeon (and the SNP) lead Scotland and the Scottish people out of the Union, I predict that sometime in the not too distant future she/they would find Scotland would not be a big enough country for her/them to hide in!

i am ashamed to say ...admit that my wifes sister stood 3 times as an SNP candidate...my wife was born in Norfolk but her other 5 siblings were born in scotland.....long story dont ask.....it even involved Jimmy Stewart the actor........

her sister and the mrs were having a real ding dong...which wasnt helped by the mrs saying sturgeon wants doing in........her sister replied you wouldnt be the first to say that....infact she has received more death threats than any other world leader ......... :yes::hmm:

Apparently they don't own the North Sea oil as it falls outside of their northern border.

I'd also be interested to know if they will take a share of the national debt and what is their plan to make it work ?

Tbh I'd like to see them go! Fed up of hearing it now!

If you took a line say extended from Carlisle through to North Berwick and out into the North Sea the SNP would say that everything north of that line would be Scottish and therefore all the oil & gas, thats where they think they can put millions into there coffers. That also includes west of Shetland. It also includes all fishing rights. I dont know how the international waters were split up for the North Sea and other surrounding areas (west of Ireland) with regard to mineral (oil drilling ) rights but what I do know there is still enough for years to come.

IMO I cannot see how we (Scotland) could go it alone. The UK has a big debt and we (Scotland) should continue to be part of the UK and continue to pay our way.

(You dont really want to see us go do you ? what about your bi annual trips up to Murryfield you would have to apply for a visa :lol: )

I am no expert on oil but I do not think that a lot of people understand about oil I think scotish brent oil is very thick so needs a lot more processing and can be used for more than just fuel Arab oil tends to be thin and simple to make fuel oil or petrol out of so they are priced differently.

I think she thinks that the EEC will take over where we left off giving the Scots handouts when the oil price is so low.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

She reminds me of a really **** baddy on a action film.

I am no expert on oil but I do not think that a lot of people understand about oil I think scotish brent oil is very thick so needs a lot more processing and can be used for more than just fuel Arab oil tends to be thin and simple to make fuel oil or petrol out of so they are priced differently.

Not so much but the firm who owns all the oil fields processing up there is a subsidiary of OPEC anyway

Scotland can charged what they want, eventually the Arabs will get ****** off and do something about it. It's not that oil rich anyway

i accept that.....$100/barrel is what countries that base their economies on oil need to run the country....and what is left to put away for the hard times.................

im treading on thin ice here so forgive me if you are sure im talking out of my rear...........

It maybe true Ditchman that there are some country's have to have that amount per barrel to keep them afloat then they are going to sink fast. The price of all commodities is supply & demand and currently there is a glut of oil around the world.I dont think we will see a $100 a barrel again for a long long time.

But anyway the price of oil is not what this thread is about.

Lets see what the response is from the YES voters on here if they can be bothered.

Born Scots and proud but glad I am also Brittish

BBL

It maybe true Ditchman that there are some country's have to have that amount per barrel to keep them afloat then they are going to sink fast. The price of all commodities is supply & demand and currently there is a glut of oil around the world.I dont think we will see a $100 a barrel again for a long long time.

But anyway the price of oil is not what this thread is about.

Lets see what the response is from the YES voters on here if they can be bothered.

Born Scots and proud but glad I am also Brittish

BBL

thank you for that ...it was getting a bit off thread................im genuinly concerned as to how the "powers that be" would make the books balance without detriment to the people they represent... :good::good:

I suppose she sort of has to push this line, being leader of the SNP.

They started out almost as a single issue party of protest, and so could become a victim of their own success now they are in power, forever treading the line between having to talk up a referendum (to keep the party faithful onside) whilst trying to gamble on the best possible moment to either win one or at least avoid losing credibility if repeatedly defeated.

Wee jimmy krankie is a puppet. Unfortunately they have the greens to jump into bed with. Theyre welcome to each other. I really hope no public money is wasted on this. I feel embarassed by what the SNP party are doing.

i understand families across scotland are falling out with each other over this.............i was worried that the same would happen of the EU thing...but that has quietened down now with most people saying "well thats it suppose we need to get on with things now"...........not so in Scotland tho'