Scottish referendum #2

ditchman

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes we could be independent but we would be financially poorer for it. So your statement is factually incorrect.

Yes but that's not the story that the SNP are peddling is it? My aunt lives in Langholm and during the build up to the last referendum some campaigner on her doorstep told her they were going to be able to double her pension once the English stopped stealing the oil .

She believed them and she voted for them. I think she still believes it and I think she would vote for them again.

Edited by Vince Green

For all his sins, and there were many of them, Cameron resigned after he lost the Brexit vote.

Sturgeon lost the Independance vote but is still with us. Certain lack of integrity methinks.

??? Sturgeon wasn't in charge for the independence vote, salmond was and resigned 1st thing next day.

I voted yes and woud still vote yes.

I cannot stand the snp but voting yes was not about voting for the snp.

I actually hope that voting yes will weaken the snp as if we had independence there reason to exist lessens a bit, so some voters can go back to voting for other parties, the tories have now over taken labour as the 2nd bggest party

Scotland could easily be independent but i don't expect to be any better of and fuly expect to be slightly worse off.

But things would have to change the way the country was run and i seriously doubt the snp are the party for that, plenty of small countires exist and run quite happily smaller than scotland without oil.

I think snp made many mistakes during the referendum but the main 1 was basing there books on oil incomes esp at high levels, they should of ignored the whole candy coated land of milk and honey imagine and balanced the books with oil as an extra or at very low prices.

As for the 2nd referendum vote, it does have some merit (and i'm not being bitter about losing as not a rabid indy supportter) but 1 of the big pledges was vote No to stay in Eu, that was 1 of the big promises. At the time the eu vote hadn't really been confirmed it would happen and no one really expected a leave vote anyway even until a few hours before the reuslt was in. And i do know folk that were swayed by that, buti'm sure plenty of yes voters way vote other way to if got chance again

So there is some merit for it and can see there point, but i don't think it would be as close this time

As for tearing families apart, possibly in some families but more likely just more media BS, i know i've never gave the 2nd referendum a 2nd thought until now and never heard anyone else speaking about it. Even at the vote life stills went on and in reality most folk have bigger things to worry about.

Just like the recent Eu referndum ur not really voting on hard facts as in both votes it was not hard to see both sides coming out with some complete lies and plenty off very hopefully/optimistic (or pessamistic/doom laen) forecasts , ur voting more on principle than cold hard fact as so many things wil not be decided until the vote comes in and terms are agreed/negotited.

No doubt there is a lot of schemey baw bag muppets that have watched far too much braveheart that vote yes but also plenty of prety clever big buisnessmen support it and just normal flok too. Do u really think 45% of scotland population is schemey baw bags?

More a belief than truely thinking ur life will automatically be better

Ps Ditchman i read that too, i think that $100 barrel is wot russia really needs to finance itself etc, think the were trying to make out usa happy with low oil price as means russia is slowly going bankrupt

I would vote 'yes' to Scotland being part of the U.K., I'm British English.

I still am yet to hear (including on here) any sane argument for independence. Please don't use the Westminster is to far away argument / they ignore us, it's far away from the north east as well.

Ur quite right Chris

I think the devolved governments are just an excuse for more snouts in the trough, should either of been independent or westminster.

To be fair the snp in the past have pretty much done that but not sure if there sticking to it now they have some numbers..

Wot i find hard to understand is why this is only now a problem when it was never mentioned before, for 40 yrs u've had 40-50 scottish labour mp's being told wot to vote for even thou it may only affect england. In a tight term that could have swung many a vote 1 way or other

Ur quite right Chris

I think the devolved governments are just an excuse for more snouts in the trough, should either of been independent or westminster.

To be fair the snp in the past have pretty much done that but not sure if there sticking to it now they have some numbers..

Wot i find hard to understand is why this is only now a problem when it was never mentioned before, for 40 yrs u've had 40-50 scottish labour mp's being told wot to vote for even thou it may only affect england. In a tight term that could have swung many a vote 1 way or other

It has been a problem for a considerable period but there was nothing pre devolution we could do - however one post devolution example was the leibour vote on licencing laws that saw music in pubs (sesions or sing songsfor participants benifit) and public areas (sic Live Carols at christmas in shopping centres) subject to extreme and expensive licencing. Voted in by the scots where no such ruling is in place!!!

Not really, but it seems the Scottish have the problem with the English, so go do better by yourselves.

It's nothing personal.

But it is personal. I am Scottish and 55% of my fellow Scots voted to stay in the Union. So for you to state "the Scottish have the problem with English" is not correct but no doubt suits your small minded agenda. A minority may do but the majority most certainly do not.

But it is personal. I am Scottish and 55% of my fellow Scots voted to stay in the Union. So for you to state "the Scottish have the problem with English" is not correct but no doubt suits your small minded agenda. A minority may do but the majority most certainly do not.

You see it your way I'll see it my way.

we are getting away from the topic again.... :lol::lol:

what i was asking is................where will the scottish get their money from to run their country...........cause as i see it at the moment......they would take a 50% dive in living standards and a 100% increase in tax ...just to balance the books.................

Have the scottish got some sort of secrete export we know nothing about...............is donald trump going to buy scotland ?

just tell me how they will balance the books......give me a clue..............dont the voters ever ask the SNP this when they are on the doorstep ?...whats the answer ?