Scottish referendum #2

ditchman

We have the same problem with the steel works in South Wales because so many businesses outside the plant depended on the wages earned inside the plant to keep them afloat. Even a 10% drop in business for say a garage may be enough to tip them over the edge and the garage closes. That's the owner and two mechanics on the dole.

The cracks just run and run into the whole fabric of the community They are saying now that for every job that goes within the works another 15 will go outside from shops etc

But the SNP don't care! Their single aim appears to be independence from the "auld enemy".............at any cost!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Sliver Pigeon,

It was me that said that the company that I work for`s uplift for North Sea crude is around $18 / barrel. This is what we have been told by Apache North Sea Ltd. Currently generally recognized as the most efficient oil company operating within the North Sea. Its by no means all of the North Sea operators, some are currently running in the red and costing more each day. Apache are very shrewd with there money and how they spend it but they are investing in new wells and have a ongoing drilling operation. Hope to see my last few working years with them.

BBL

The cheapest that you can extract North Sea oil for is $15. The most expensive $80.

For comparison Saudi is $8-10.

I have no idea where the poison dwarf is going to get the money from. Maybe she will get rid of the free prescriptions for everyone and free carehomes for the elderly or will start to charge for college or universities courses.

I think I am just jealous at what people get north of the boarder.

Really we need to put this to bed.

Free prescriptions? Because it would cost more to actually collect the paid for prescriptions so it is cheaper to give everyone free prescriptions.

Free care homes? I don't think so. If you medically need to be in one then yes, same as in England. If it is only because you can't cope due to age you fork out of your saving until they are depleted. My Grandfather, my Aunt and now it looks like my father will have little savings and no house to pass on after forking out £800 a week on care home fees in Scotland, he is palliative but that makes no difference, he doesn't need it for medical reasons so just has to pay.......

Edited by Laird Lugton

Cost more to who and why? If it is cheaper, why aren't the rest of the UK on freebies?

My understanding is that 90% of recipients are elderly, low income households or children so they would all qualify for them to be given free. The remaining 10% of recipients of prescriptions would have to pay. To collect the 10% would cost more than just giving the 10% free prescriptions.

As for why the rest of the UK isn't on free prescriptions well that is up to your elected politicians to decide how to manage their budgets.

My understanding is that 90% of recipients are elderly, low income households or children so they would all qualify for them to be given free. The remaining 10% of recipients of prescriptions would have to pay. To collect the 10% would cost more than just giving the 10% free prescriptions.

As for why the rest of the UK isn't on free prescriptions well that is up to your elected politicians to decide how to manage their budgets.

Using England and Wales as a comparison I would be interested in where the figure of 10% of the recipients in Scotland who need prescriptions and would be required to pay comes from? As I would like to know where the figure of 90% of recipients in Scotland who qualify for free prescriptions comes from? Edited by panoma1

Free prescriptions? Because it would cost more to actually collect the paid for prescriptions so it is cheaper to give everyone free prescriptions.

There is no cost to the State in collecting the paid for prescriptions because the payment is made to the pharmacy who is an independent. Free or paid for the process after that is the same, the pharmacy fills in a return and makes a claim. The only thing that differs is the amount claimed.

The trouble with free prescriptions is they are not restricted to prescription drugs. So things like talcum powder, cotton wool, aspirin, paracetomol, rubber gloves routinely get included 'because its free so who cares?'

It probably is closer to 90% in Scotland who would qualify for free prescription because you get free prescriptions if you are claiming Income Support and benefits dependency is much higher in Scotland than the rest of the UK.

Edited by Vince Green

Going slightly off topic again discussing the free prescriptions available in Scotland but yes it must cost Scotland money but I may be wrong but as population percentages go I think the overall cost may be considerable lower than that for England.

Below is a quote from Laird Lugton`s link to the BBC web

"Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland may all have a policy of free prescriptions, but in England there are an extensive list of exemptions and discounts.

Nine in 10 prescription items in England are handed out free as those exempt include the under 16s, over 60s, pregnant women and those on low incomes.

Of the rest, many are discounted through a pre-payment scheme which means that people needing regular prescriptions, such as those with long-term conditions like arthritis, only have to pay just over £2 a week.

It effectively means only the healthy and wealthy pay the full £7.40 charge. "

I still dont know where the SNP will raise all the money to run a country. I am still waiting for the SNP Q&A page to made available so I can ask some of the questions that are bugging me.

(I am also still waiting on my SNP member of Westminster Parliament to get back to me on the Grouse question but thats another topic altogether)