Sloe crop this year

hedge

Anyone got any news on their local sloe crop this year?

I checked a lot of my local bushes last weekend and sorry to say that they look a little sparse. I should be seeing fruit by now and not a lot to be seen.

I'm also interested in damsons and I'm not sure how they are doing this year either. Seen some locally but last year seemed to be a bumper crop.

I have a few nice sloes in my wood but not many. I also have a wild damson ... I say wild because it just appeared alongside a pond in the wood 15yrs ago and has been producing enough to pour some vodka or gin over for the last five years. On the subject of 'shoot drinks', see if you can trace a Bulus plum tree, little green plums like small greengage. They are ripe when you shake a branch and they fall off. Like honey and go very well with vodka and a double handful of dark soft brown sugar un a big sweet jar :-)

I also have what I call a damazene tree in my orchard, large damsons which split clean like a Victoria plum. Now they make goodly sipping fluid as well, gin or vodka and last year did some in Bacardi rum ...nice!!

Have anyone with a fig tree ...the're ripe about now and half a dozen chopped up and again a double handful of soft brown sugar and vodka go well together.

Edited by Walker570

I checked a lot of my local bushes last weekend and sorry to say that they look a little sparse. I should be seeing fruit by now and not a lot to be seen.

I'm also interested in damsons and I'm not sure how they are doing this year either. Seen some locally but last year seemed to be a bumper crop.

Sparse on my patch damsons however are looking good :good:

Walker570

Do you mean Bullace? They are rare but delicious when made into a spirit with vodka.

Yes, yes ,never was any good at spelling. True they make excellent tipple for elevensies and a half inch in the bottom of a glass topped up with cava ain't bad either.

Edited by Walker570

Heaving with them over here, just not ripe yet.

Not sure exactly where 'back of beyond' is, but like others have reported, sloes in my area are very few and far between.

Seems to be a reasonable crop of Damsons, so will just have to make do with them this year, although the Morello Cherry trees in my garden did well earlier, so have sufficient Cherry Brandy & Gin on the go with still some cherries in the freezer.

OB

Walker570

Do you mean Bullace? They are rare but delicious when made into a spirit with vodka.

They made a delicious conserve too, as per this thread:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/321421-are-these-bullaces

I found the same bush this year, again only a few fruits available but I do hope they are still there when ripe.

I was in the Cotswolds last month, the damsons were ripe and falling at mid August. I was eating them at the camp site :lol:

Our bushes up north here are devoid of sloes though!