Brown Bread recipes

iano

Having recently started to try out a few different recipes, I figured I'd ask here and also post up what we find works well.

Original recipie comes from here:

http://farmette.ie/2012/04/06/irish-brown-bread/

From their site:

Screen-shot-2012-04-06-at-12.45.42.png

We've made two small changes:

1) [Assuming you have some form of mixer like a Kenwood] - start with the wet ingredients and mix very well. Then, once very well mixed dump in the dry ingredients (we count butter as dry). This is the reverse of the suggestion, but we find that it mixes better this way and its more consistent.

2) Put in three times the amount of honey suggested

Does anyone here make something similar? Any good recipes?

1/ buy a bag of brown bread mix 2/ chuck it in the breadmaker 3/ Add some water 4/ Press "start" - used this recipe many times and it normally works :whistling: p.s. iano - does the bread rise without yeast?

:sad1::sad1::sad1::sad1::sad1::sad1::sad1::sad1::sad1::sad1::sad1::sad1::sad1::sad1:

Bread maker!!

Yes - rises well with the bread soda. Usually rises about 2.5x while cooking.

My brown bread rarely, almost is never edible, I'm a fairly accomplished baker, but success evades me with the brown loaf

Brown bread is pretty easy to make, it is very tolerant of making mistakes and not as precise as 'real' baking.

What you need:

1.jpg

Start with the wet ingredients (Butter milk, egg and honey). Whisk well.

1.jpg

Drop in the dry ingredients (inc butter) and mix well.

1.jpg

Cook!

1.jpg

Enjoy!

1.jpg

• 2 months later...

Great stuff iano. I also have baked a lot of homemade bread. From Sourdoughs loaves,made by by my own starter and using flours like rye and spelt.

I also make a lot of Pizzas,focaccia,and use the pizza dough for calzone's. i havent baked bread in awhile as my last pizza stone cracked but as i got a new one for my birthday just past,It is time to get back into it. I do find baking on the stone makes all the difference.

As for brown bread recipes. I will include one here from my Old School Mate and Cousin' The Celeb Chef who doesnt like Salt.I'm sure you have heard of him or seen him on the TV.He is big buddies with Rachael Allen. On that' if you can get hold of one of the big thick Ballymaloe cook books there are lots on Bread in there.

When all is said and Done.I find it is hard to beat the straight forward Irish Soda Bread either White or Wheaten. Simple ingrediants and can be knocked up in no time. I know you are not supposed to eat it straight from the oven hot, but I let it cool but not completely and load it with lashings of butter and that my friend takes some beating. Also if you get Neils' Soda bread flour..There is a recipe on the side of the packet for a Soda fruit loaf which include eggs an is baked in a low oven for an hour and it is beautiful with a good Cheddar and some relish.

Healthy brown bread.

Ingrediants

125g plain flour

tsp of bread soda

pinch of salt

350g whole wheat flour

20g sugar

275ml buttermilk

150g natural yoghurt

1 egg

25g butter

Method

pre heat oven to 210c.

Use a bowl and wooden spoon 'Do not use mixer' Sieve flour,bread soda & salt,then add whole meal flour,sugar and mix thoroughly.

Rub in butter,beat egg and yoghurt together.Add buttermilk to make up 425ml.Add liquid to dry flour to form a deliberete wet mix. ( At this stage you can add two mashed bananas if you wish) Grease two 1lb loaf tins and drop mix in half filling each tin. do not pat down as this tightens the resulting bread. bake in oven for 40 mins and allow to cool before slicing. You can also replace 100ml of the buttermilk with Guinness.

I had Guiness bread once in a local restaurant with Seafood Chowder and it was delicious and I intend to make it myself.