Decoying gear waste of money?

Davyo

a while ago HARNSER was involved in a thread regards decoys....he maintains that dead birds are the best....he used to dry and preserve dead birds ...in salt or formaldehyde...then set the feathers flat using his wifes hairspray...............

think i will have a go at that this year,............................

Marsh man, where is the Geoff Garrod video you refer too?

Cheers

Found it!

Hi flippermaj ..... I have got 3 or 4 Geoff Garrods d v ds , but at the moment they are packed away as we are due to move over the next couple of weeks . I know one of them is Geoff and Will Garfit sharing the same hide and the bag is over a ton . a good down to earth d v d .

When I unpack , or if come across them first I will let you know what they are called and who produced them . M M

You have only to read PCs detailed write ups to note that a magnet and dead birds ( normally about a dozen) invariably works very well for him.

Also, from his excellent write ups, you will note that he rarely shoots the same field two weeks running on the basis that pigeons become spooked, but after a couple of weeks perhaps their memory forgets that two birds on a rotary represents a danger.

I've learnt much from PCs posts but have yet to experience the same level of success, all of which is down to his experience, total dedication and perseverance.

OB

With the correct fieldcraft and time to study bird/land there is no need for any decoy equipment what so ever! Unfortunately most of us aren't lucky enough to spend a couple of hours each day studying where pigeons are feeding! Instead we arrive Saturday morning have a quick look round and take a punt on a field/particularly spot! It's in that situation mechanical decoying gear helps to make a bag if you've got your location slightly wrong!

ALL THE GEAR AND NO IDEA

Many guns do not have extensive permissions. This means they are obliged to shoot irrespective of pigeons feeding and this I fear is where an over reliance on gadgets comes from.

If pigeons want to eat your crop then they will do so in spite of you, your white face plus gun. In these cases limited gear will suffice. If on the other hand they don't want to eat, then you have to be cleverer than they are and trick them.

All the gear is fine until you need to carry it across a muddy field and then back again plus hopefully some dead pigeons.

My advice is to spend your time, not your money. Three days reconnaissance for one day shooting. Train hard fight easy. Travel light and get under the flight line.

ALL THE GEAR AND NO IDEA

Many guns do not have extensive permissions. This means they are obliged to shoot irrespective of pigeons feeding and this I fear is where an over reliance on gadgets comes from. [/size] [/size]

If pigeons want to eat your crop then they will do so in spite of you, your white face plus gun. In these cases limited gear will suffice. If on the other hand they don't want to eat, then you have to be cleverer than they are and trick them. [/size] [/size]

All the gear is fine until you need to carry it across a muddy field and then back again plus hopefully some dead pigeons. [/size]

My advice is to spend your time, not your money. Three days reconnaissance for one day shooting. Train hard fight easy. Travel light and get under the flight line.

Excellent post, I don't think anyone can add to that, proper job.

I have used artificial decoys over the years in their many forms with great success.

Shells, full bodied, flocked, unflocked, they have all worked on their day, as have dead birds.

The introduction of rotarys and flappers was a great advance, especially in attracting birds from a great distance, some days its almost like magic how they work.

Back in the 60's when we had very hard winters, kale covered in snow and the birds were starving, you only had to find a field with some green showing and you could kill as many pigeons as you wanted to.

Decoys weren't that necessary and if they were really hungry you could dispense with a hide.

Those days have long gone, we don't get winters like that any more.

I don't use decoys when flightline shooting, but setting up on a field where birds are feeding, without any decoys, I would consider a waste of time.

Thats just my opinion and I respect people that have different opinions to me.