any caravaners out there

viking

im thinking of getting a caravan some time in the next few month to start using next year so there is no rush,

i know nothing about them really, good makes, what to look out form what spec to get, there will only be me and "er in doors" using it, then i guess he will be "er outdoors" :lol::lol:

dont need anything massive or anything to small,looking to spend between £5-7k to me the main thing is as bigger bed/sleeping space as poss as i cant sleep in cramped conditions,

any help advise will be gratefully appreciated :good::good::good:

thanks.

lee

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want a big bed just get a standard 2 berth as generally the front lounge converts to a Hugh bed (around king size ) go to a few dealers and look round a few, the other option is a 4 berth with a fixed bed but these are generally smaller queen size beds but they are called fixed bed so you don't have to make it up every night, make sure your tow vehicle is sufficient as that will also determine the size f the caravan , general rule of thumb is van weighs 85% of the tow vehicle.

Go to a few dealers and have a good look at some, there will be bargains to have than time of year as we are at seasons end, a motor Mover is a nice thing to have.

And air awnings are all the rage as they are easy to put up

If buying privately look at service history, tyres should be no more than 5 yrs old, damp check history is important

I like coachman as a make and fleetwood, although fleetwood are no longer made, we have a fleetwood heritage 560-4 which is fantastic

If buying private spend £20 on a damp meter and check everywhere. It will save you headaches and cash in the long run and it dead easy and quick to make the checks before committing to a deal. 5-7k will buy you a caravan with more modern fittings if you so choose. There's lots out there and there's lots of rubbish so take your time.

Look on a Web site called Caravan Talk, Like the Pigeon Watch for shed pullers. Loads of info about all makes and models and what to look out for.

Buying a decent one is an absolute minefield.

We have a big Twin Axle that we take abroad with the kids, best holidays we have ever had !!

Enjoy

Funny thing you should mention this. My mrs dragged one home a couple of weeks ago. A 2 berth Swift. Once I stopped laughing and had a look it really is a thing of amazement. The guy she got it off only used it 3 times in the 8 years he had it. Even came with a brand new Awning and Motor Movers so you can steer it around the drive remotely. I got an examiner to check it out and give it a full gas test and he reckons it is worth twice what she paid for it.

As for me ever towing it or sleeping in it, I would rather shove Wasps up my ****.

If you want a big bed just get a standard 2 berth as generally the front lounge converts to a Hugh bed (around king size ) go to a few dealers and look round a few, the other option is a 4 berth with a fixed bed but these are generally smaller queen size beds but they are called fixed bed so you don't have to make it up every night, make sure your tow vehicle is sufficient as that will also determine the size f the caravan , general rule of thumb is van weighs 85% of the tow vehicle.

Go to a few dealers and have a good look at some, there will be bargains to have than time of year as we are at seasons end, a motor Mover is a nice thing to have.

And air awnings are all the rage as they are easy to put up

If buying privately look at service history, tyres should be no more than 5 yrs old, damp check history is important

I like coachman as a make and fleetwood, although fleetwood are no longer made, we have a fleetwood heritage 560-4 which is fantastic

cheers, i have a discovery so should be ok for towing :good:

If buying private spend £20 on a damp meter and check everywhere. It will save you headaches and cash in the long run and it dead easy and quick to make the checks before committing to a deal. 5-7k will buy you a caravan with more modern fittings if you so choose. There's lots out there and there's lots of rubbish so take your time.

heard about damp, was wondering how to check :good::good:

Look on a Web site called Caravan Talk, Like the Pigeon Watch for shed pullers. Loads of info about all makes and models and what to look out for.

Buying a decent one is an absolute minefield.

We have a big Twin Axle that we take abroad with the kids, best holidays we have ever had !!

Enjoy

my dad had one too when we were kids, loved it, spain, france, cornwall, we went all over :good:

Funny thing you should mention this. My mrs dragged one home a couple of weeks ago. A 2 berth Swift. Once I stopped laughing and had a look it really is a thing of amazement. The guy she got it off only used it 3 times in the 8 years he had it. Even came with a brand new Awning and Motor Movers so you can steer it around the drive remotely. I got an examiner to check it out and give it a full gas test and he reckons it is worth twice what she paid for it.

As for me ever towing it or sleeping in it, I would rather shove Wasps up my ****.

you will do as your told FS :lol::lol:

Wanted to get a caravan so practiced towing by buying a trailer,outcome is I cant tow :no: no caravan and saved a fortune :yes:

should be ok as i have my HGV licence, not that iv driven a truck for over 10 years, but im pretty good with trailers :good::good:

Get rid of the Discovery and buy something ludicrously underpowered for the job, like most caravan owners do.

The fun you can have looking in your mirrors at a 2 mile tailback behind you with the drivers chewing their steering wheels will make it all worthwhile. :good:

Get rid of the Discovery and buy something ludicrously underpowered for the job, like most caravan owners do.

The fun you can have looking in your mirrors at a 2 mile tailback behind you with the drivers chewing their steering wheels will make it all worthwhile. :good:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::good:

I tow mine with a disco td5 it could do with a remap for towing but is the best tow vehicle I have ever used, I would be tempted with a twin axle now that I have the disco

whats the benefit of twin axle, i toyed with the idea of a remap when i got mine, but having had a go in a mates defender TD5 that had been done, i didnt like it, it seemed to take away the low end grunt and kind of what they were designed for, i could do with ago in a disco thats been done really