Buddy wanted I'm in the Peebles area

K Mac

As above looking for a shooting buddy. I'm in the Peebles area but will travel within reason. Someone with their own permission would be great but not too important. Retired or can shoot weekdays a must as dog walkers, mountain bikers, horse riders, and all others make shooting very difficult at weekends.

I try to shoot pigeons, crows, rabbits.

Own gear a pluss.

Insurance a must.

Cheers K Mac

• 2 weeks later...

oh man ... i can testify they are that bad!

I have to 'migrate' to Biggar for a shot at (very) few pigeons, ducks and geese.... but i go with the wee man and he loves game meet so, so long as i can land a few for him i'm happy!

Near Edinburgh is all taken up and there is no chance to get permission, not even for a fee.... if I loose these permission i have, i might as well pack it in too

I do not believe this is the case. I have regularly seen adverts in papers such as the Berwick Advertiser looking for syndicate members (small DIY as well as let days). I have travelled from SE Northumberland to beat in various places. Its all about the time of year, look around Feb / March each year when people leave syndicates and new members are needed

If you expect to shoot for nothing, then you will struggle.

I do not believe this is the case. I have regularly seen adverts in papers such as the Berwick Advertiser looking for syndicate members (small DIY as well as let days). I have travelled from SE Northumberland to beat in various places. Its all about the time of year, look around Feb / March each year when people leave syndicates and new members are needed

If you expect to shoot for nothing, then you will struggle.

Well said :good:

There are always syndicate spaces available but they may not be well connected enough to find them, most are word of mouth with the odd one on here or facebook pages. Mark robson has good shooting available for pigeon but its very hard to get on land to shoot them so i agree there to an extent, i have tried a host of local farms without stepping on folks toes who are already on the ground to no avail. Those that have the perm are reluctant to share quite rightly so.

Edited by novice cushie shooter

I don't expect free shooting at all; i always offer to pay my frined for the trouble he goes through on our permission (recce, use of quad, etc) and i quite happily share any expense if i can't phisically help, (feed for the pond, blind construction, etc).

I have been scourring the internet for a decade and honestly couldn't find anything that wasn't outdated. Tried to contact few folks who left posts on here or other sites to no avail; I even poffered a guy to swap a night flight (ducks & geese) or morning flight at geese for a day pigeon; but i never answered....

so, if there are offers (as mentioned before) they're not well publicised or deffo out of reach for certain people. I have a family, I work 9-5, 5-6 days a week .... it's kinda hard for me to find time to go out locally or semi locally ....

I even asked the professional guides for a spare day or 2 per month but never got an answer back ... must be coz i can only shoot weekdays...

If you folks have any pointers (like the Berwick Advertise) will be much appreciated :good:

Thanks very much mate,

tried the one in notrthumberland last year but seen it too late; it's a bit of a treck to get down there but was at a reasonable price

The one on the border is a bit dated ... but will have a scour again on the net ... sometimes I just lose the will to try(like the chap on the post) ;

i was more looking for pigeon ground as now i take my son shooting and he's only 5 yo ... although last night he was with me for his first night flight and enjoyed it thoroughly... it can be a bit of a hard job keep him content :whistling: so, not sure if a syndacate is a good idea...yet!

Thanks again

• 3 years later...
On 21/09/2016 at 18:38, Continental Shooter said:

oh man ... i can testify they are that bad!

I have to 'migrate' to Biggar for a shot at (very) few pigeons, ducks and geese.... but i go with the wee man and he loves game meet so, so long as i can land a few for him i'm happy!

Near Edinburgh is all taken up and there is no chance to get permission, not even for a fee.... if I loose these permission i have, i might as well pack it in too

Just reading through some old messages. 

I can attest to that - currently trying to get permissions  near Edinburgh and it's an absolute nightmare. I'm not very hopefull if i'm honest 

Edited by Pigeon_corvid_control

4 hours ago, Pigeon_corvid_control said:

I missed this season due to work; however, the season before I was beating in Catterick (Yorkshire) and Lauder (near Edinburgh)

I've given up finding one, I just pay a guide when I want to go out. 

Work and family are the priorities so, if I have to spend a few hundreds pound a year to go out, so be it. In winter I focus on wildfowling and some walked up when I can find some. Shooting is a passion for me, not a job I need to apply and interview for...

10 hours ago, Continental Shooter said:

I've given up finding one, I just pay a guide when I want to go out. 

Work and family are the priorities so, if I have to spend a few hundreds pound a year to go out, so be it. In winter I focus on wildfowling and some walked up when I can find some. Shooting is a passion for me, not a job I need to apply and interview for...

That's a fair point!. It is rather frustrating, but I understand why some farmers are cautious - and the rest of the farms seem to be tied up. I'll find somewhere evntually. I may just switch from pigeon and just pay for a syndicate shoot on the pheasants. 

On 22/04/2020 at 06:55, Pigeon_corvid_control said:

That's a fair point!. It is rather frustrating, but I understand why some farmers are cautious - and the rest of the farms seem to be tied up. I'll find somewhere evntually. I may just switch from pigeon and just pay for a syndicate shoot on the pheasants. 

I found Wildfowling, relatively cheap compared to pigeons. I pay a small fee to go to John Muir country park and Tay or forth are free.

Probably not the greatest spots, but easy to access and relatively safe for me go go with the kids...and you can have memorable day nevertheless

Cheers