I give up!

HunterFarmer

The bad days make us appreciate the goods ones. I dont think you will go far wrong in having a lesson on the clays as they will pick up on all sorts of things.

I was never given guidance when I started shooting with a shotgun 25 odd years ago and I shot badly for years. I then had a lesson and now I shoot badly but know why :lol:

Keep at it is all I can say as practice makes perfect. Pick the shots you are confident of at sensible ranges as this helps build confidence. Frustration only tends to result in more swearing and more missing.

I think many, if honest, haven't a perfect strike rate, and sometimes it's just about having an off-day, not necessarily gun-fit or whatever. I'll hold my hands up and say that on a good day, I'll have a 1 in 2 hit rate on the decoys (at best) but yesterday wasn't one of them. Fired 60 cartridges for just 11 birds! Gun fits ok and had the bead giving required lead but I'd swapped from my usual SP to my A391 and both shoot/pattern differently, so shooting one tends to ruin me on the other. Lessons do help, but nothing beats just being out there and getting practised (with the bad habits pointed out and removed).

Stop shooting and start fishing, that's what i did ! I can leave my rods in the car,don't have to lock em away when i get home.Can even take them into work and leave them in the car if i want to go fishing straight from work.The only down side is the licence only lasts 1 yr @ £27, but at least its renewed online in seconds with out any hassle.Plus i don't get threatened with 'holding fishing rods illegally if i don't renew on time.'I've even been outside a cafe with them out the bag,fully loaded with a hook & lead on ! No body telling me that they will revoke my rod licence if my son does'nt stop hanging around with his mate who is mates with a mate who has a mate who is a scally.

Also i didnt need any mentoring when i bought a 12ft sea rod and didnt have to apply for a slot its brilliant, had only course fished before lol

Edited by Davyo

Go back to basics im guessing as you have shot ok with the gun historicaly its something like a fit, Look at the obvious first AMMO.

Sorry Tony, but if he's missing with a gun that fits, it'll be because he isn't pointing it in the right place or using the right technique for the bird in question.

Don't get me wrong - I agree with you that it's hugely important to get the right pattern of the right shot size to kill your quarry. I've bored plenty to death by arguing that very point over the years.

That said, this isn't 1970 and we don't any longer buy a particular brand of cartridges on the basis of their being likely or unlikely to have fundamental defects - cold-welded "slug" ammo, burst wads or missing powder for instance! All modern ammunition from every European / American maker is of a high standard and will almost certainly throw an adequate pattern in any gun, even if it isn't spectacular.

Sure, there are loads that suit some guns better and others that suit other guns better - and it is always worth firing one cartridge at a sheet of cardboard to make sure the pellets are actually reaching the target - but the difference between brands of cartridge is usually going to be 10-20% pattern density, not "pellets hit pattern plate" versus "pellets don't hit pattern plate".

Provided the cartridge isn't 40 years old and is broadly suitable for the quarry in question, a hit will kill and a miss will not. Improving the pattern consistency / quality so as to avoid wounded birds and improve one's chances generally is an important and worthwhile thing to do - but it isn't and shouldn't be first thing to look at when the question of a bad day in the field with a familiar gun arises.

Everyone sets their own standard and will hopefully maintain that level or improve.

I was fairly annoyed with my standard of shooting on Sunday. My only excuse was the gun is relatively new to me (though I have shot reasonably well with it before).

I was not happy with 21 pigeons for around 55 shots.