Canada goose

army646

Has anyone eaten Canada goose and if so what was it like? Seems to get a bit of a bad rap in general.

I ask because some of my wheat stubbles are attracting them and I think the farmer wants me to have a go at 'em.

Either cook them quick and hot (still pink in the middle - my favourite for breasts) or looooooong and slooooooow in a tin plus lid with wine (for the whole bird). In between they are like leather, when done right they are great, sort of like beef.

I use the breast meat for game pies, mixed with whatever road kill there is on the A444. Not very often there is any left at 'elevensies' on shoot days.

OR

Marinate in Old Perculiar, maple syrup, white wine vinegar, mixed herbs and sea salt for 48hrs in the fridge. Take out of the marinade and dab dry, rub the outside with a mix of mustard and horseradish sauce and then brown sugar and THEN real slow hot smoke over charcoal, 6 to 7hrs. First hour hot 400, then cool down to 250/300 and wrap in three layers of foil and let it cook for ever, just keep adding a little charcoal enough to keep the temp up. The last hour as the heat is dropping you can unwrap and let the sugar caramelise. Slice thin hot or cold. Another bottle of Old Perculiar goes well with it. This same recipe also works well on beef brisket.

Edited by Walker570

Well that post provoked a response! So basically treat like any wild game bird. Cook em quick, keeping it pink or long and slow with added fat ('barding' as many old recipes call it) and add plenty of liquid, prefferably wine as the fruit acid will help break it down.A touch of balsamic/cider vinegar in the cooking liquid would do the same.

So get it wrong and you might as well of cooked an army issue boot! Just wondered whether anyone had experienced one tasting like Wharburtons Extra Thick White Toastie/park boating lake