Driven Shooting - Taking birds home

rabbit_stu

I've booked the first of a couple of days driven shooting this year and have done plenty of reading on what to expect. One thing that never seems to come up is what happens to the birds at the end of the day. Do I get to take any home and if so, how many? Is there any sort of unwritten rule I should be aware of?

Also, who keeps a count of the bag? I don't really understand how the bag limits work and how it is shared between the guns. Any advise/info would be greatly appreciated.

Stuart

Guns are usually given a brace of birds each with the rest going to the game dealer. The Keeper/Shoot Captain will keep a tally of the bag.

Be safe, be polite, be safe, don't shoot anyone elses birds (ones that are going to/over/make a better shot for another gun), be safe.

Edited by Penelope

As above , the only difference is its a Partridge day the guns are given a thrice ( 3 ) instead of a brace , if you want any more you are charged the same price as the game dealer pay which is normally 50p for Partridges and £1 a piece for Pheasants .

If you are going on say 150 bird day the drives are laid out for roughly that amount , in our case it would be six drives , four before dinner and two after , the mornings bag is counted at the dinner break and if we were a bit down on the expected bag we have got time to include another small drive , making it seven instead of six and if we were up on the dinner time count we can change one of the drives left for a less productive one .

I've booked the first of a couple of days driven shooting this year and have done plenty of reading on what to expect.

Well done :good:

One thing that never seems to come up is what happens to the birds at the end of the day. Do I get to take any home and if so, how many? As already mentioned, you will be given a brace by the keeper,if you want any more ask if you can buy some.

Is there any sort of unwritten rule I should be aware of? Don't forget to tip the keeper.

Also, who keeps a count of the bag? I don't really understand how the bag limits work and how it is shared between the guns. The keeper keeps count of the bag and adjusts the day to suit. In theory every gun should get there fair share of the bag but some guns are better shots than others and they will take a few extra than thoes that are missing. Shoot within your limits and don't be greedy.

Any advise/info would be greatly appreciated.

Stuart

See the above points in bold :good:

Above all shoot safe and enjoy your day out in the field.

Edited by shoot and be safe

Great points all mentioned above and not a lot I can add. If you are not sure of how much to tip have a chat with the other guns and see what they are doing.

Some people don't like driven days, but I love them. It is the whole day I love not just the shooting from getting dressing in my breeks, shirt & tie in the morning, meeting the other guns, beaters and keepers to standing on a peg waiting for the first birds to come over, lunch and maybe a glass afterwards. I also beat on shoots 2 or 3 days a week and a thank you from a gun for the hard work goes a long way. So I go out of my way to speak to the beaters and picker ups on my driven days.

Great points all mentioned above and not a lot I can add. If you are not sure of how much to tip have a chat with the other guns and see what they are doing.

Some people don't like driven days, but I love them. It is the whole day I love not just the shooting from getting dressing in my breeks, shirt & tie in the morning, meeting the other guns, beaters and keepers to standing on a peg waiting for the first birds to come over, lunch and maybe a glass afterwards. I also beat on shoots 2 or 3 days a week and a thank you from a gun for the hard work goes a long way. So I go out of my way to speak to the beaters and picker ups on my driven days.

Couldn't agree more with you on that :good:

The shooting part of the day is the reason why we are all out in the field, but the day is so much more than pulling the trigger.

The pleasure of watching others drop some exceptional birds and complimenting them on their shooting, to others offering a little gentle ribbing at the ones I miss.

The passing of the hip flask (if your own alcohol is permitted).

The hospitality shown by the shoot.

The friendships you can make.

The night before nerves thinking have I packed everything and I must not forget my cartridges/gun in the morning (it does happen, I was on a shoot once where one of the guns took a slab of 12b cartridges and had his 16b in the slip).

The excitement as you drive along the lanes to the shoot when you see a few pheasants in the field and on the road and in front of you, thinking that is a good sign and we shall meet latter if you fly over my peg.

The views, scenery and different types of wildlife you see when on the shoot.

Are you shooting by yourself or do you have a pal or two shooting in the line with you?

Don't worry about anything, I'm sure you will be fine. If you haven't got a set of tweeds then a pair of moleskin trousers with a shirt and tie will suffice, along with a suitable shooting waist coat/jacket.

The main thing to remember is you are there to enjoy yourself and I'm sure you will. Don't forget to tell us how your day went :good:

Enjoy

Edited by shoot and be safe

Hope you have an enjoyable day. I think everything has been covered. As said be safe and that means do not shoot low birds, maybe gauge 20yrds minimum if you can and try to kill them infront. That is why I say no low birds because the beaters and stops will be out there, but 45 degs is a good place to shoot'em if you can. Has the bag been stated ? After a couple of drives ask quietly how many there are on the game cart, because it is easily done to be on your limit by lunchtime ...also the number of birds being shown on each drive will indicate the efficiency of the shoot. Any good keeper knows how to balance the day out and will normally be near the total by the middle of the drive before last and as on one shoot I go on (100 bird day)the keeper will tell us what is on the game cart and if we would like to do one more drive and stick to partridges only. He can lay it on ....in seven years we have almost always had 115 to 125 but a cracking day.

I have been on one shoot where the language along the line would make your hair curl and the guns thought nothing of shooting at a pheasant three guns up. Not again. I get as much pleasure from seeing the other guns in my team kill a storming archangel as I would shooting it myself and will let a crossing bird through because it will make a much better bird for my neighbour.

Finally I always make a point of going to as many of the beaters and pickers up as possible and thanking them for a fine day and their hard work.

Edited by Walker570

Stuart............ You didn't mention about taking a dog , if you have got one to take that is ? , steady dogs are always welcome , note I said steady , if he or she is a bit unruly leave it at home as it will spoil your day when it get excited with the gunfire and birds dropping all around the guns on pegs.

If on the other hand it will sit quietly on the peg while shooting is going on, then by all means take him / her , there will , or should be a picker up well back from where you will be shooting to pick any pricked birds and the ones around your peg that you have shot you are welcome to use your dog to retrieve them , but wait until the whistle or horn has been blown to signal the end of the drive.

Most shoots now start the day with coffee and rolls so find out the starting time and get there in good time , we all arrive at around 8 30 for a 9 o clock start and the guns are on there pegs around 9.15.

Lunch is provided for guns and beaters now , but check that out just in case it isn't provided and you will need to take your own .

As already said just relax and enjoy the day and surroundings , a morning to the beaters and picker ups wont go unnoticed and if you don't take a dog let a beater or picker up know if you have got any birds to pick up on the stubbles or even more so in sugar beet and that will be passed on to one of the dog men . Good luck and good shooting.

I Still remember my first shoot 2 years ago.....they are brilliant and you'll have immense fun......One thing I was told by an old bold guy stood behind me to retrieve the behind birds, always see blue at the end of the barrel, never green!! It's already been covered above, but just a good tip to remember.....

ATB

Lloydi

the advice on this thread is spot on.......whats happened to PW!!..

my final thought as I still remember my 1st ever driven day......you will be squirting adrenalin as you stand on your first peg and you will think everybody is watching you..they are not! Have the attitude 'I am going to be the safest shot here' and you will be fine it matters not a jot if you hit anything but it will settle you down if you nail your first bird!!..

Keep your barrels up whilst waiting and assume a beater is behind every bush in front of you(because they could well be).the day will fly past so soak it up. Enjoy you will be knackered at the end of the day but you will remember it and I suspect when your head hits your pillow you will remember 1 particular bird...

Indeed the ones missed will provide much merriment for all involved and the tall ones that do fall we be a lasting memory for you.

I always like to watch the pickers up work their dogs at the end of the drive and marvel at their skill with the dogs on some difficult retrieves (if time will allow of course).

Once other thing I would say is listen carefully to the safety briefing. If you are unsure of anything don't be afraid to ask.

I really wish id waited till a little nearer the day to ask this, I'm even more excited now!! Thank you all for your contributions. I certainly feel a lot more reassured about it all now

I hope you have a great day and I'm sure you will be hooked!

We have our first driven shoot next weekend and I can't wait to get the tweeds on and the gun in the slip. I also love seeing the dogs reaction when she sees all the shooting gear, she loves it as well!

Edited by Nmb