Gralloching Experience

Hi all,

I have 4 permissions of my own, but unfortunately am not allowed to shoot game, it's vermin only. I completed my DSC 1 last year so know all the basics of deer stalking, but haven't been able to implement it in to practice lately and would like to sit my DSC 2 next year. Unfortunately you need a kill and gralloch portfolio for this.

Is anybody willing to take me for a stalk and let me gralloch, or at least let me watch you gralloch so I can get that experience of hands on.

I can offer in return some lamping and rabbiting or if I can offer anything else I will.

I am in West Oxford......

Best regards

i remember being in the same boat,

i watched loads and loads of youtube videos and went thru it in my mind each time i watched one,

then when it came to doing it for real it wasnt too hard, i use the method with the zip ties as ive found that the best way for me..

hope you get sorted out with someone, failing that watch "john robson" on youtube dressing out a roe buck..thats the one i studied.

rich.

It's just a big rabbit mate, just think the same ( no contamination from guts or A hole) and no contamination from your truck etc your gonna eat what you shoot,just like making a meal, keep everything clean and cool and covered from flies etc

Or just as Archie says,

all in all its just a big rabbit, it's nowt hard or fast, you've just got to grass some deer and get stuck in

Join the stalking directory forum, I have learnt loads off the guys on the forum since my stalking journey started

Good luck with your quest

Flynny

Edited by flynny

Excellent , the true meaning of a forum imho :)

If you took Lloydi out Fruity he could do all the hard work for you. Just tell him the quarry will be Muntjacs. Don't mention the bigger beasts.

Hi think I knackered Lloydi73, but we had a very productive morning, bonus... We shot a Gold medal munty

Good man.

Hey all..

It was a fantastic morning, I will write about it tomorrow, but as fruity says above, this is what the forum is all about and Highbird is a true gent and credit to the shooting fraternity.....he gives me too much credit, he took the beasts.. He gralloched the first going step by step and giving a brilliant oratory as he went.....he made it look so easy....then he let me gralloched the 2nd beast....all in all a fabulous day and I can't thank Highbird enough......just to watch and listen to a true pro like him is poetry in motion!!

If you took Lloydi out Fruity he could do all the hard work for you. Just tell him the quarry will be Muntjacs. Don't mention the bigger beasts.

Good man.

Now theres an idea JD :) .

He would be more than welcome on a stalk with me being appraised by yourself, just munties as you say though ;) ..:)

Edited by fruity

• 2 weeks later...

Can I make a suggestion to anyone that wants to learn very quickly and on big beast. Ok, you'll be knackered at the end of the day but you will get your hands, and half your body, into reds or fallow.

Give someone like paul hill a shout at corinium range. A few times a year he runs parks cull grappling days. Ok you pay your money but about the same as a roe stalk.

You will not learn quicker and node locations and as they are big, they are easier to see and feel.

Can I make a suggestion to anyone that wants to learn very quickly and on big beast. Ok, you'll be knackered at the end of the day but you will get your hands, and half your body, into reds or fallow.

Give someone like paul hill a shout at corinium range. A few times a year he runs parks cull grappling days. Ok you pay your money but about the same as a roe stalk.

You will not learn quicker and node locations and as they are big, they are easier to see and feel.

Totally agree , runs great courses and range Paul :)

Edited by fruity

Totally agree , runs great courses and range Paul :)

Gents,

Taking for granted, that I fully respect your opinion, but I personally disagree, I understand the point that you making, about preparing a big animal to enter the food chain, but I always say, if you learn to grallock and prepare a muntjac, you will be able to do everything else.

I.e. cutting the back legs off of a big animal its quite easy, by feeling the inside near the joint, for that v shape indentation, now imagine the reverse, small animal....that is the difficulty in learning

Regards

Mark