What is classed as a good ratio.

BinaryB

Dear all

I have recently got into pigeon shooting over decoys.

I was wondering what is classed as good shooting in terms of cartridge to kill ratio with regards to pigeon shooting over decoys?

I remember watching a Jack Hargreaves episode on decoying pigeons and he was saying anything less than 3 to 1 is good shooting. Is this the case?

3/1 is good on any live quarry.

Dear all

I was wondering what is classed as good shooting in terms of cartridge to kill ratio with regards to pigeon shooting over decoys?

I remember watching a Jack Hargreaves episode on decoying pigeons and he was saying anything less than 3 to 1 is good shooting. Is this the case?

When the pigeon play ball shot ratio can be very high 80% as the birds are committed to landing making a fairly straightforward shot,

but on days they dont play ball , skirting tne pattern or very high winds it can be low as 40%,

Ive taken champion clay shots out and seen them struggle, there's no doubt in my mind that there's a knack to shooting pigeons consistently

Dear all

hello, was that on tv or video?

Some good answers there and I like JDog's take on things too. Thank you very much. I remember watching Jack Hargreaves on TV but I saw that particular episode on DVD.

Thanks to Stuy too. Great info to benchmark against.

I almost wish I hadn't discovered pigeon decoying as finding it truly addictive sport. My ratio is averaging at 2.25 to 1 which I thought is ok but I would agree to what Stuy says ref a knack to being consistent.

Thanks again all.

Some good answers there and I like JDog's take on things too. Thank you very much. I remember watching Jack Hargreaves on TV but I saw that particular episode on DVD.

Thanks to Stuy too. Great info to benchmark against.

I almost wish I hadn't discovered pigeon decoying as finding it truly addictive sport. My ratio is averaging at 2.25 to 1 which I thought is ok but I would agree to what Stuy says ref a knack to being consistent.

Thanks again all.

hello, that is very good in my book, i am no expert after 50 years :rolleyes: 1 in 5 as my old bones do not work well :lol: ps 1 of jacks pigeon videos was filmed on a farm i use to shoot on most saturdays, when i called in to see farmer (dads old school friend) in old sussex accent, shouda been eerr yest!day boy old jack argreaves was pigeon shootin, was i miffed :lol:

Thanks very much and interesting info ref Jack Hargreaves.

I think he says that the best day he had was 70 odd but he heard of bags of upto 200 in a day. Just interesting to get his honest take on things. I think in that episode he is shooting them over maize in the winter months in Sussex. I wonder if that was the one you are referring to? I used to watch him on TV sat with my Grandma. I couldn't wait for it to come on. I would have been 10 ish years old at the time. Great series.

Edited by BinaryB

depends, what birds you take on, if you give a range of say 45 yards and committed to shooting at every bird within that range it would be lower than those that committed to decoys at 25-30 yards UNLESS you were are high standard of shot.

Best rule enjoy your sport, while respecting your quarry.

Thanks very much and interesting info ref Jack Hargreaves.

I think he says that the best day he had was 70 odd but he heard of bags of upto 200 in a day. Just interesting to get his honest take on things. I think in that episode he is shooting them over maize in the winter months in Sussex. I wonder if that was the one you are referring to? I used to watch him on TV sat with my Grandma. I couldn't wait for it to come on. I would have been 10 ish years old at the time. Great series.

hello, it was in sussex but feel sure over brassicas, miffed at not watching filming, a field in lavant nr chichester where i lived , had rubber deeks and army net and gun in bag strapped on push bike ssoo long ago, was in chi fowlers. i think can get box set of out of town, when we moved up to then berkshire i put an old ariel out the bedroom window just to get southern itv to watch JH :)

Without over egging the thread, I had watched an episode of Fieldsports Britain in which Andy Crow was shooting pigeons over decoys and (unless I mis-heard) his ratio was almost 1 to 1. That's what got me thinking about it and if there was a general rule of thumb to bench mark against.

2.25:1 is very good.

As said some days when all falls into place and they play ball and decoy in regularly in same way/direction you will not miss many(apart from the odd gun in mesh mount trick) however with a good wind/coming in like stukas and flighty can easily go beyond 3;1..also I like a pigeon to be dead so often use both barrels if not dead in the air.Over several sessions decoying so allowing for all conditions if you average 2.5:1 you are shooting well.If folk only shot at the committed drifting in/decoying well birds then ratio would be very low,but if you take on all birds within killing range from all angles then clearly different result.Flighting pigeons are the hardest target and roost shooting in a gale is fantastic sport but forget the above ratios!..I would also add a little pinch of salt to reports of I shot 137 pigeons with 142 cartridges....any pigeon is missable including 25 yarders on the deck!!..also do your ratio against picked birds not pricked birds.If you average a true 3;1 over the coming years and do mixed decoying/flightline/roost shooting you are doing well in my eye.Have fun don't get too statistical!! all best.

Ratios totally depend on the situation...if you have a steady flightline into a pattern and so presented with the same "picture" then the ratio should be low and only really effected by the difficulty of the shots you take at the second bird (and third bird if with an auto). I like to be under 2:1 when they decoy well and under 3:1 when skirting the pattern or when windy .... when shooting a flightline or roost shooting in windy conditions don't worry about kill rations just enjoy the sport.

Ratios totally depend on the situation...if you have a steady flightline into a pattern and so presented with the same "picture" then the ratio should be low and only really effected by the difficulty of the shots you take at the second bird (and third bird if with an auto). I like to be under 2:1 when they decoy well and under 3:1 when skirting the pattern or when windy .... when shooting a flightline or roost shooting in windy conditions don't worry about kill rations just enjoy the sport.

+1. I dont shoot many pigeons but a few corvids here and there. I am happy with 2:1 or better, anything worse tends to annoy me. Best day I had on 129 blacks I think I was about 1.3:1. I know its not about numbers but if you kill virtually everything you shoot at it does make for a good sense of achievement. As long as you enjoy it it shouldnt matter

Certainly depends on the day, how the pigeons decoy if at all and on the whole how experienced (good) a shot you are.....every day is different! I'm not happy with any more than 2-1 on an average day.

Last Sunday I shot 60 for 81 shots, but the previous few outings I had a much worse average so it really does vary!

ok ok but this a new pigeon shooter and I would suggest it takes a few years to get the 'knack' of decoying and build the library of sight pictures re lead required etc...Motty I have seen your videos and you are a v good shot with lots of hide time....any 'newbie' who benchmarks themselves against you is onto a loser......if the OP goes out thinking 80% is about right as a ratio he's gonna get bit shocked!! As per an earlier post I took out a chap from my clay club,who is a v good clay shot 85-90% average at sporting clays. His first day in a pigeon hide? 5 pigeons for 44 cartridges...why?he kept moving too early and tried shooting them sat down...you basically have to learn when to take the shot /have some understanding of pigeons behaviour etc to be any good at decoy shooting and that just takes a bit of time.SO as a newbie averaging 2.25;1 he is way better than me and I've shot alot of pigeons in 40+ years..

to the OP , dont bogg yourself down with ratios blah blah blah , however if you must why not try what i used to do and concentrate on how many pigeons you can shoot with one box of shells , so first box you shoot five birds , next box try six , .

just have some fun

Edited by stevo

to the OP , dont bogg yourself down with ratios blah blah blah , however if you must why not try what i used to do and concentrate on how many pigeons you can shoot with one box of shell , so first box you shoot five birds , next box try six , .

just have some fun

Good advice Stevo. I am on six.

some people put themselfs under so much pressure right from the off to go and shoot 2:1 . Like others have said and the end off the day it means nothing , to all the new pigeon shooters out there , there is only one way to become a successful pigeon shooter ,

You need to have lots and lots of rubbish days but........ always try and come away from that rubbish day having learnt something , no matter how small . there is NO reliable kwik route .

the top shots will only tell you about the good days!

Edited by stevo