Canned hunting

Scully

I've never heard of pheasant shooting being referred to as canned shooting , but I do see your point. Thing is with pheasant shooting you can pick your shots and try to be as sporting as possible even though they are there to be killed . With big game this is not the case .

May I ask what force is used to make big game hunters pull the trigger.

As an aside, I've seen plenty of game shots unable to distinguish the difference.

There is a subtle difference in shooting released birds and what I refer to as 'canned' hunting. Both are paid for but pheasants are not guaranteed. The situations I have witnessed are and are advertised as such. You just don't pay if the supplier fails to put you on what you where looking to shoot, so supplier makes sure the animal/s are there, are virtually tame and often in very small paddocks. I remember one such occurrence here in the UK where two men arrived by Concorde at Heathrow, where driven up to the estate/deer park, driven out into the park where red deer had been thrown a bale of hay, climbed out of Land Rover shot one each with black powder rifles at close range, climbed in car returned to Heathrow and flew out. I think a driven pheasant day is just a bit different even if you occasionally get a gun that shoots low birds ,or through the line and I rate such with those described above.

There is a subtle difference in shooting released birds and what I refer to as 'canned' hunting. Both are paid for but pheasants are not guaranteed. The situations I have witnessed are and are advertised as such. You just don't pay if the supplier fails to put you on what you where looking to shoot, so supplier makes sure the animal/s are there, are virtually tame and often in very small paddocks. I remember one such occurrence here in the UK where two men arrived by Concorde at Heathrow, where driven up to the estate/deer park, driven out into the park where red deer had been thrown a bale of hay, climbed out of Land Rover shot one each with black powder rifles at close range, climbed in car returned to Heathrow and flew out. I think a driven pheasant day is just a bit different even if you occasionally get a gun that shoots low birds ,or through the line and I rate such with those described above.

Ah, you mean somewhat like the guns that arrive by helicopter, get driven to their pegs to shoot the (virtually guaranteed) days bag of 500/750 pheasants and then returned to their helicopter for onward flight home in time for dinner.

Yes, very different to canned hunting.

Ah, you mean somewhat like the guns that arrive by helicopter, get driven to their pegs to shoot the (virtually guaranteed) days bag of 500/750 pheasants and then returned to their helicopter for onward flight home in time for dinner.

Yes, very different to canned hunting.

Well a game bird is free to walk or fly in any direction it chooses. While environments are managed to try and keep the birds in a certain place the bird can ultimately choose to leave and live somewhere else. With canned hunting the animal cannot escape even if it so wishes.

Secondary, game birds are flushed over a line of guns. The ones that survive have survived that day. With canned hunting even if the hunter misses the animal 10 times that animal will still be pursued and killed. There is no way it is ever escaping.

So yes, I would say it is very different.

Well a game bird is free to walk or fly in any direction it chooses. While environments are managed to try and keep the birds in a certain place the bird can ultimately choose to leave and live somewhere else. With canned hunting the animal cannot escape even if it so wishes.

Secondary, game birds are flushed over a line of guns. The ones that survive have survived that day. With canned hunting even if the hunter misses the animal 10 times that animal will still be pursued and killed. There is no way it is ever escaping.

So yes, I would say it is very different.

Me too!

personally, I'm against this type of shooting, especially when it's of an endangered species. All the years I've been shooting has been for conservation of some sort (at least in my head anyway) and not solely for sport. In my mind this type of shooting does little good at best and certainly harm's shootings reputation. I would not look down on someone for doing it however as we all make our own choices and justify what we do in our own way.

It will only become endangered when it is of no more value.

It nobody paid big money to shoot pheasant or grouse, those who keeper them would seek employment elsewhere and numbers would dwindle to a fraction of the numbers there currently are, until they too would become endangered.

As much as it loathes me to say it; money does indeed make the world go round.

It will only become endangered when it is of no more value.

It nobody paid big money to shoot pheasant or grouse, those who keeper them would seek employment elsewhere and numbers would dwindle to a fraction of the numbers there currently are, until they too would become endangered.

As much as it loathes me to say it; money does indeed make the world go round.

As always scully, good points and I can't fault your logic. Still isn't for me, but your reasoning has certainly made me question why I am against it.

In my opinion canned hunting is any creature reared specifically for the purpose of shooting, either for revenue, sport or trophy, or all three.

I think your definition differs quite a lot from the generally accepted meaning of canned hunting.

Canned hunting means to me, and most others I would think, that the quarry in enclosed in some way or other, a fenced enclosure. A ten acre paddock in Texas with an exotic in it is definitely canned hunting, and so probably is a two thousand acre deer park in England, I guess the only debate is to if all fenced enclosures are providing a canned hunting experience. Even a 20,000 acre game park in South Africa, after all, the quarry can not get away? Which is where to me your definition including reared driven game falls down, it can ultimately get a way, for good, nothing restrains its movements.

Edited by scolopax

I think your definition differs quite a lot from the generally accepted meaning of canned hunting.

Canned hunting means to me, and most others I would think, that the quarry in enclosed in some way or other, a fenced enclosure. A ten acre paddock in Texas with an exotic in it is definitely canned hunting, and so probably is a two thousand acre deer park in England, I guess the only debate is to if all fenced enclosures are providing a canned hunting experience. Even a 20,000 acre game park in South Africa, after all, the quarry can not get away? Which is where to me your definition including reared driven game falls down, it can ultimately get a way, for good, nothing restrains its movements.

Fair points. My opinion is based on the fact there would be very little to shoot without the nurturing of 'keepers, and in the case of pheasant and partridge in particular, replenishing stock each year.

Even on grouse moors it involves a major investment in time and money to try and ensure there are birds to shoot each season, as does the shooting of pheasant and partridge.