Duck Shooting Lough Neagh N. Ireland - Today's outing

Big Al

The first proper outing of the season. The hide has been rebuilt as it was demolished in last winter's floods and my shooting is still a bit rusty. I was out last week too, but poachers had beaten us to it and the ducks were very wary. No such problem today - the decoys worked a treat.

Thanks for the replies guys. Darno - I'm looking forward to hearing the wigeon when they arrive in a few weeks. That's when the season really starts! There is just something about the whistle that sends shivers down the spine.

Edited by Big Al

hello, what a good show for your working dog worth watching just for that :good:

Thanks - he's a good one for sure.

He ran in on a couple of retrieves yesterday so he'll need better manners before the pheasant season starts. He is 4 now and I've heard that there will be a litter of pups from his full sister later this year. I've got my name down!

Excellent video, beautiful scenery, good shooting and a fine dog, doesn't get much better. :good:

I knew it was big, but I didn't realise Lough Neagh was 151 square miles.

Thanks Cranfield. Yes- lough neagh is very big and although it does share some similarities with coastal wildfowling, it is a much gentler proposition.

Great video, canny wait to get out on the ducks over here! Interesting stone built hides, how did they come about?

Laziness and comfort I suppose.

As the lough isn't tidal, most people build a semi permanent structure. Some are pretty rough and ready and others are built more to be part of the landscape. There is no shortage of rocks in this area so they are used as a convenient building material. Some are built without mortar so are more prone to wind waves and floods. This one is built with mortar so we can be more sure it will still be there when the floods recede. Last winters floods we too much for the previous structure.

Nice Video and good shooting Alan' And what more can I Say about Ted other than he is an A1 Retriever.

Your little Mini Castles look Good.Lol..I suppose you have to be extra careful with your gun' leaving it down easy etc..Some wrack and a bit of netting around the top would give you some cushion.

Havent ventured out as yet.Im afraid September shooting just does not do anything for me any more'Far to warm and no where near cold enough for me. I am planning a few easy early October flights more to get the Old boy out for some nice handy retrieves on some brackish water.

Thanks for posting and enjoy the rest of the Season and look forward to more of your Clips.

SG.

Thanks for sharing, enjoyed that.

Cheers for that.

Nice Video and good shooting Alan' And what more can I Say about Ted other than he is an A1 Retriever.

Your little Mini Castles look Good.Lol..I suppose you have to be extra careful with your gun' leaving it down easy etc..Some wrack and a bit of netting around the top would give you some cushion.

Havent ventured out as yet.Im afraid September shooting just does not do anything for me any more'Far to warm and no where near cold enough for me. I am planning a few easy early October flights more to get the Old boy out for some nice handy retrieves on some brackish water.

Thanks for posting and enjoy the rest of the Season and look forward to more of your Clips.

SG.

Thanks Keith. I know what you mean about September shooting - although I do feel compelled to open the season!

I had to have Woody put down a few months ago - aggressive bone cancer. Denys must be a good age now?

Edited by Big Al

Cheers for that.

Thanks Keith. I know what you mean about September shooting - although I do feel compelled to open the season!

I had to have Woody put down a few months ago - aggressive bone cancer. Denys must be a good age now?

Sorry to hear' Woody is No longer with you.Where does the time go eh..? It doesnt seem all that long ago When I was reading of your excitment about getting Him as a Pup. He had a good life doing what he was bred to do and im sure you have many fond Memories of him.

Yeah my Old Boy's best days are well and truly behind him' but try telling him that..lol,. He thinks he is a Forever Young dog. When the light dtarts to fade he will start his spoiled crying looking to get out for his nightly runaround and when he gets into the baesment he is straight to the hanging' game bag,gunlips,waders ect for a sniff and the tail goes crazy. He is very fit for his age and still leaps up into the van like a teenager and still loves to retrieve'Although his hearing is going.

Its only a easy less than 5 minute walk from the van and maybe a short Wade/Swim for the dog to the flighting spot on the brackish Marsh' so he is well capable of that and the water retrieves should they present themselves' will still be met with the usual Chessie enthusiasm.

All being Well' I have another one coming in the Spring.

Keep them Videos coming.

Edited by SuperGoose75

No Al didn't get out on Saturday, her indoors booked us a weekend away for my birthday without the kids so just relaxed and forced a few pints in me lol,my shooting buddy went and got 2 mallard a gadwall and a tufty

Sounds tough!

Great video and some great shots really enjoyed! Would love to try duck shooting someday if I ever got a chance!

You are never too far away from water in Ireland! Keep your eyes and ears open! Where in Ireland are you based? North or South? Edited by Big Al