HELP PLEASE My wife wants to start shooting!

das

After many, many years shooting (the last 20 at clay targets only), my wife has stated she would like to join me. Had a lesson and apart from a bit of bruising

she shot rather well and said it was very enjoyable, and yes, please could I help her obtain a gun.

As I am determined to get a gun that fits her correctly, I ask for some guidance.

12 or 20. Much advice from the bar room gunsmiths. 'Don't get a 20, nice and light in the hands but will recoil just as much as a 12 and the shot pattern

is much narrower'

She needs a stock with a length of 14"-14.5" and not something which is too muzzle heavy as she has a long standing left wrist problem ( she is right handed).

I have considered Browning and Beretta lightweights and a couple of manufacturers now make guns specifically with the stock made for a lady.

I am prepared to get the gun adjusted for fit.

Your views or advice would be much appreciated as would anyone recommending a good, knowledgeable dealer, gunsmith/stockfiittter

within about 50-60 miles of Halifax, west Yorkshire with a good selection of guns (new or used).

Many Thanks

Dave

1. Don't let her start, it will reduce by 50% the shooting you do!

If she insists, don't go the 20g route as there is little benefit and a large deficit in the cost of cartridges. My wife had a 20 which she loved, she now has a Beretta Silver Pigeon S 12g with 28" barrels which she loves equally.

Having said which she had a play with Caesar Guerini Syren today (purpose built ladies' gun) which she has mentioned on several occasions since.....😬😬

Edited by Glenlivet

Get her an ATA ARMS in 12bore, the wife using one along with Comp x 28 gram cartridges no kick at all. my mates wife has just started shooting we got her the sporting ver of the same gun. i have cut the stock down for her to 13 1/2 inch gave her some coatching now last week she him 19 on a round of skeet she loves the gun because it fits her.

The 20 / 12 debate is well known and remarked upon. A lot of it depends on the build and weight of the person shooting.

For example, my wife struggles to shoot a 12 O/U for any decent number of cartridges. She's 5'2" tall, and 8 1/2 stone after a large meal. Quite simply, the weight of the gun in the barrels forces her to lean back to counterbalance it. You'll see it with plenty of women (and a few men !) who shoot, who have a gun that's too heavy for their build, shooting in the same way, with their spine arched back.

So she has a nice lightweight Beretta 20 bore Silver Pigeon Field. A lot more comfortable for her to use, so she's a lot happier to get out and use it.

No point in her having a lovely gun if it's too heavy for her and just sits in the cabinet.

I have noticed that ladies tend to find semi autos and pumps nose heavy and there lies the problem. They can handle the weight of stock and action but soon start to sag if the front end is heavy. You need to do a bit of shop crawling with her and try a few. Good fit is the main stay of reducing felt recoil so your on the right track there. There is a lot of choice today. I have a Yildiz 410 and I know they make a similar model in 20 gauge and 12 gauge. Handled the 20 and it was not much heavier than my 410. Lincoln as stated is one to try but I do think you need to shop and try. I love'em but women are more fickle than men and will turn something down flat for some reason you can't see and unless SHE has chosen/ok'd it ... hmmmmm well enough said (53yrs practise).

Can't tell you with out seeing her shooting.

A 12 bore 1/4 choke and a 20 bore 1/4 choke through the same pattern a 20 is not tighter.

Women tended to be more resilient than people give them credit for and recoil tends not to be the issue its balance. Finally as with everyone gun fit is key most guns are designed for mr average agreed now more guns are designed for Mrs Average whoever she is but it needs to fit Mrs Das

Two ladies who will be shooting for their fiirst seasons later this year have both bought 20 bore Franchi Alcione OU's. One is very petite and struggled with the length of the gun, which meant leaning back with her cheek way back on the comb. After a bit of expert help via Fawcetts of Lancaster, the gun fits her much better and she now leans forward to shoot and even killed her first row woodies with us in the hide a couple of weeks ago. Both women are smitten by the shooting bug and their excitement makes me smile.

Roll on pheasant season!

After many, many years shooting (the last 20 at clay targets only), my wife has stated she would like to join me. Had a lesson and apart from a bit of bruising

she shot rather well and said it was very enjoyable, and yes, please could I help her obtain a gun.

As I am determined to get a gun that fits her correctly, I ask for some guidance.

12 or 20. Much advice from the bar room gunsmiths. 'Don't get a 20, nice and light in the hands but will recoil just as much as a 12 and the shot pattern

is much narrower'

She needs a stock with a length of 14"-14.5" and not something which is too muzzle heavy as she has a long standing left wrist problem ( she is right handed).

I have considered Browning and Beretta lightweights and a couple of manufacturers now make guns specifically with the stock made for a lady.

Your views or advice would be much appreciated as would anyone recommending a good, knowledgeable dealer, gunsmith/stockfiittter

within about 50-60 miles of Halifax, west Yorkshire with a good selection of guns (new or used).

Many Thanks

Dave

I would get someone to check this assumption on stock length you are quoting normal mens stock lengths and unless she is particularly tall and strong this is likely to be too long . We get great results with ladies with a short 12b gunwith 21g carts with the gun actually weighted up with lead in the stock as this absorbs recoil and brings the balance further back towards the shoulder.

I was reffing yesterday at Westfield. There were 11 women shooters, none of whom was huge and all were shooting with a 12. About 3 were using K80s - and no one would describe an adjustable 32" K80 as a lightweight gun...

Sian was shooting there too and she posts on here sometimes. Perhaps she can chip in with some suggestions.

is much narrower'

Many Thanks

Dave

bit of bruising not good.

I would suggest you go to a shooting ground and have a pro assist.20 v 12 will be debated for ever both could work but your wifes size/strength etc should dictate the answer.Personally not mad on 'light weight guns' much keener on light weight loads as way to tame recoil.

Howsabout a Lady coach?not sure what decent grounds near you but no doubt you do? Let her decide then it won't be your fault!!

all best.