20g hushpower - o/u or pump action?

Dead-Eyed Duck

I have acquired some new land and a moderated shotgun will be a must on some of the fields due to the close proximity of houses.

I already use 20g shotguns, and so common sense says that I should use the same in hushpower.

What I want to know please are opinions as to which to buy - a moderated Mossberg pump or Investarm O/U.

I have used a Mossberg before, and it was a bit of a lump but functional. I understand that the moderated version only comes with full choke - would this be a disadvantage?

The Investarm with moderator also seems to be unwieldy, but there are good reports on You Tube. Standard choke appears to be half and three quarter.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated, along with recommendations as to cartridges used.

I use a 410 Mossberg Hushpower which is full choke but it's needed in 410 due to the small amount of shot.

I can certainly hit things with it so it's not a problem, I would think it's even less of an issue with a 20g.

It wouldn't cost much to get it opened up a little and Saddlery and Gunroom (who make them) can probably do this for you or get a different barrel to suit.

http://www.saddleryandgunroom.co.uk/Gunroom/SG_Hushpower.htm

One advantage of the Mossberg is you can get a standard barrel for it (you can order it as a kit so you have both).

It makes the gun more flexible as it's nicer to shoot when you don't need it to be moderated - I shoot clays and do a bit of rough shooting with the standard barrel.

It might mean you could replace one of your other 20's with the one gun? Depends how posh your others are!

Chris.

I am very fortunate in that my other 20g guns are an AYA No2 (retirement prezzie to myself) and a Beretta 391 semi auto.

I do have a few muzzle loaders as well, going from 12g up to 6g, but that's another story.

As I said in my original post, I need a moderated 20g due to houses being close on a new permission, and I am still trying to make my mind up whether to go for a Mossberg or Investarm O/U.

I have not seen either 'in the flesh' yet to see which takes my fancy, and hopefully will be able to do so at Weston Park this weekend.

Thanks for your replies so far - they are very much appreciated.

I had the pump first and it is long and front heavy, had to take the moderator off to get it in the gun cabinet.

Two months later I traded it for the O/U , more a normal sized gun and true to the point of aim (which the pump isn't), I have never regretted it.

You would be well advised to at least handle both guns.

Thanks for all your replies. I had a look at the Mossberg Hushpower at Weston Park today, and I think that I will be getting the Investarm O/U.

The main reason is that all of the reports that I have read (plus some replies to my post) have indicated that the moderator on the O/U affects the point of aim less than on the Mossberg.

My main pigeon shooting gun will still be my Beretta S/A as it is easier to use in a hide, but where noise may be seen to be a potential nuisance the Investarm will come into it's own.

• 1 year later...

I just love my 20g o/u hushpower. It can best be described as a 'lump' in the handling department, but you do get used to it....

It enables me to shoot in places where previously I would have decided not to because of the potential noise nuisance.

I use standard 28g cartridges in 6's and 7.5's - please note fibre wad only as plastic wads can foul things up.

I bought a 2nd hand one, which unfortunately had not been regularly cleaned, and as a result the moderator cannot be stripped. Still, the reduction in price enabled me to buy one, and no doubt I will get a new one eventually. A pity that the moderator is not made of titanium (or similar), as the reduction in weight would be a definite benefit.