Recommend me a Small Van

Davyo

Looking for a small Van for fishing but seems to be so many to chose from.Want diesel & air-con but not to bothered about performance (wouldn't mind a side door). Seen loads on Auto Trader but have no experience of them, my head is telling me to go Ford ( had loads of Fords in my time and very little if any issues).However i only have a £7k budget so a new'ish Ford connect is out. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

from 1988 to 2014 i had for wildfowling and fishing etc Exclussively Vauxhall astra vans. Right from a B reg mark 1 diesel 1600 to a 2008 cdti 1.7. had 6 of them over that period all were pretty reliable i had a mk 4 which gave trouble in the clutch department that was anoying slap band in the middle of the season it was i had to strip it down outside in the winter as we had builders in and no garage, was a job and a half in those conditions let me tell you.

I had an mk 3 crack a cylinder head a 1.7 isuzu engined one i got a used head had it skimed rebuilt fitted it and it was just fine after that.

Other than that nothing real terrible a few bearings ussual belts oil filters wiper blades just everyday stuff they all worked hard and were not bad to be fair.

On diesel they are ok they return well into the 50s mpg generaly , they are a bit guttles on hills but overall i think they are an ideal little knock about shooting van.

I only went with a T5 VW because i wanted a bigger van for the three lads to come with me when they got big enough.

plus i could carry a small quad and trials bikes in it if need be with no need for a trailer.

Would i go back to astras now, ... I dont know to be honest, I think i might just look at a VW caddy the caddy max i am liking VWs right now, but another van im hearing good stuff about is those fiat vans the newer ones like the post office use.

I met a wildfowler at castle stewart last year had one he was looking at the T5 over a cup of tea, we got to talking about the fiat and it sounded a good van, but like me i think he wanted a bit more room.

Good luck.

A

Not quite a van , but a good utility vehicle is a Citroen C3 Picasso

I have had one for 18 months and with the seats down its like a little tardis

High driving position and good ground clearance

Plenty well within your budget on auction sites , diesel ,air-con and much more as standard

Not quite a van , but a good utility vehicle is a Citroen C3 Picasso

I have had one for 18 months and with the seats down its like a little tardis

High driving position and good ground clearance

Plenty well within your budget on auction sites , diesel ,air-con and much more as standard

Cheers mate, didn't think of that plus no VAT. just been on auto trader 2014 plate c3 picasso 1.6 HDi 8v 29k miles £6999.Just drop the rear seats.Think i will have a drive around the garages on Friday and test drive a few.

hello, not wishing to hijack your post but i am thinking to change my motor a small 4 x 4 Dihatsu Terios as i would like to find a similar but with a rear door that opens up instead of a side open being better to sit under if raining or in winter shooting from back seats folded down where i can still get some warmth if i am rat/rabbit shooting. i am not to versed on what would be suitable with all the makes of motors, if anyone has an idea would be appreciate, 1,300/1,500 cc max. cheers

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Another one to think about is the good old Nissan X-Trail with the rear seats folded down there is loads of space in the back and they have the advantage of having 4 wheel drive works very good on muddy fields and has the advantage of driving lick a normal estate car not at all like a proper 4x4.

Forgot to add i already have a 4x4 that i will be keeping (Jimny) plus im getting my wifes 65 plate car when she gets her new one.I just wanted a comfortable small economical small Van type thing for fishing.It will also be used for towing a small day boat(on order for next April).However ive got a test drive on a Citreon Picasso C3 in the morning on a 14 plate.If its ok i will poss buy that. Edited by Davyo

I bought a 05 plate vauxhall combo 2 years ago with 82k on clock it's the 1. 3cdti for £900 qwid ex post van clean inside just had a new clutch and flywheel fitted before I bought it had fuw little dents no rust been spot on fitted sum front seats out a corsa Sri as they were worn got them from local scrap yard £15 each just needed a vet vac. I've drove it through fields the lot never been stuck yet

I bought a 05 plate vauxhall combo 2 years ago with 82k on clock it's the 1. 3cdti for £900 qwid ex post van clean inside just had a new clutch and flywheel fitted before I bought it had fuw little dents no rust been spot on fitted sum front seats out a corsa Sri as they were worn got them from local scrap yard £15 each just needed a vet vac. I've drove it through fields the lot never been stuck yet

I have to say brother had a ex gpo combo rear seat windows engine was quiet as a mouse ran great good MPG he was down on his luck when he bought it, he was due a break to be fair and that little van did just that it worked fantastic, i very nearly bought it when he needed a bigger van i acctualy regret not buying it. Great little vans.

You was lucky getting a good post van most of our post people tend to drive like nutters and wreck there vans they all tend to be covered in dents and scuffs.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

Citroen Bipper will be just the job for you Davyo Peugeot do the same van with a different name. Stay away from the 1.6 HDI diesel engines they are problematic.

I had a Fiat Doblo Van 1.9 JTD 105 BHP same engine as the Alpha Romeos use it was a flying machine that could return 60 plus mpg if driven lightly on a run. Little big van that was nice to drive.

I love my little combo, best little van I've ever owned. pretty quick too and will show a clean pair of heels to some of the chavs cruising the streets while coming home from a nights shooting.

• 2 weeks later...

Well ended up with a Citrion C3 Pacasso Hdi 1.6 VTR + 32k full service history (HPI check came back clear).Originally wanted some thing nearly new 14 or 15 plate and got totally fed up of salesmen last week But on a plus side it only cost me 4k soive 3k left in my pocket.

So bought private and got a warranty from warranty direct.

The Jimny goes on Friday though.Citreon drives nice and smooth and there is loads of space in the boot and its like a small van with the rear seats down.

Edited by Davyo